PDA

View Full Version : Connectors for Airsoft...

DarkPaw
03-22-2005, 08:00 PM
Hello, I haven't seen this addressed here, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the deans connectors. Someone recommended them to me, I hadn't heard of them so I looked them up. Looks interesting, they are supposed to be better and more reliable than the regular tamiya airsoft connections. Of course, you would have to do a little soldering and re-wiring, but apparently they handle larger currents much better. So if someone had some upgrades and was running a 9.6v battery it might be something to look into. Has anyone here tried it?

CALI
03-22-2005, 08:54 PM
Majority of upgraded AEG owners have resorted to this type of connector. Not just per your findings they are also smaller in footprint. I highly recommend it and I've used it with higher battery voltage during my RC days. If you plan on buying one you can also get them at any RC/Hobby stores (like Hobby Town USA etc.). Good Luck...

DarkPaw
03-22-2005, 09:37 PM
Majority of upgraded AEG owners have resorted to this type of connector. Not just per your findings they are also smaller in footprint. I highly recommend it and I've used it with higher battery voltage during my RC days. If you plan on buying one you can also get them at any RC/Hobby stores (like Hobby Town USA etc.). Good Luck...

hmmm... thanks. Also, I noticed the dean connectors come in different pins... (2 pins, 3 pins, 4 pins) Which one is best for airsoft application?

cleanshot
03-22-2005, 09:41 PM
The 2 pin is the one you want to use. There is no need for having extra pins that you wont use. Just remember to solder the right wire on the right post. They are clearly marked on the male and female connectors.

AustinWolv
03-22-2005, 10:43 PM
Dean's connectors are overkill for Airsoft. Yes, they are good and are smaller, but only highly-upgraded guns will make a noticeable difference to the average user. The other downside is that you'll have unique connectors compared to the majority of players on the field, meaning that if something happened to your battery during a large op it could be difficult to borrow a battery from someone unless you plan to carry an adapter in your kit.

Just my opinion, but the benefits don't outweigh the cost, effort, and potential lack of commonality with the overall community.

DYEterminator
10-24-2007, 09:33 AM
Can't you just leave the regular battery connector and replace all the rest with deans? And don't deans connectors make it easier for maintenance and disassembly?

Dark Paladin
10-24-2007, 11:20 AM
Uhh. . . what? Dye, you may want to clarify your question. The way I read it, it doesn't make sense at all, because deans and tamiyas are incompatible.

DYEterminator
11-02-2007, 02:50 PM
I mean that all connectors would be deans, except for the one which would be connected to the battery. Meaning it would be able to readily accept tamiya style batteries while still having the benefits of deans. Yea, now that u mention it maybe it doesnt make sense, because the initial electrical flow would be normal due to the regular battery connector. If you didn't understand a word I said... please hold your peace.

Naveronski
11-02-2007, 04:07 PM
I mean that all connectors would be deans, except for the one which would be connected to the battery.
Are you saying you have just a bunch of random connections running through your replica?

jeremywills
11-02-2007, 05:47 PM
Deans connectors are your friends when you employ a crane stock especially if you intend to actually adjust the things length. There is alot to cram in that buffer tube and the Deans connections can help some with cable management. Agreed with what Wolv has stated about connection commonality, it is something to consider. If you plan to do it get several batteries in reserve having the same connector.