PDA

View Full Version : Throat Mics

SilentWolf
03-22-2005, 02:07 PM
I am looking into buying a throat mic.Does anybody have any good suggestions or comments?? :ninja:

wingnut
03-22-2005, 02:23 PM
I am looking into buying a throat mic.Does anybody have any good suggestions or comments?? :ninja:

I have two for sale.. but they will only work on selected radios.. They are single pin.

$15 ea

I bought a new set of motorola radios and had to buy a new throat Mic.. I bought a Fire Fox and it works great! Only two things I found to be a bit troublesome with it.

1. the ear piece makes your ear a bit sore after hours of use.. but you can buy an adapter to fit on your ear rather than in your ear.

and

2. On warm days the mic has a tendency to work its way from your voice box so others may have a hard time understanding you. I remedied this by buying a headband and cutting a slit in it to feed the mic through so it stays in place when I get sweaty.. I don't have this problem in colder weather because I wear a SAS around my neck which soaks up sweat and keeps me warm. No problems now!

Hope this helps out. :cheers:

Dano

AustinWolv
03-22-2005, 02:30 PM
On the other end (listening to throat mics), it is 50/50 in my experience that they work well. I've heard a couple that were like Darth Vader talking through a PVC pipe in some ancient garbled language. I've heard a couple others that were reasonably clear and the user was able to be understood, although the sound was again deeper/muffled. This is based on very limited sample size of a high-end throat mic and several lower-end popular airsoft throat mics.

Personally, I don't like having to listen to them, and I can't offer any experience in using them.

Tex
03-22-2005, 02:49 PM
I have used a Firefox throat mic in the past, and had decent success with it. That being said, all of my teammates were overjoyed when I moved to a boom mic setup. Now they understand me quite easily, as opposed to THINKING that they understood what I said.

The novelty of a throat mic is enjoyable, but a boom microphone won't get in your way and your teammates will understand what you are saying much better.

SilentWolf
03-22-2005, 04:40 PM
Thanks for all the help.What do you(refering to anybody thats wants to answer) use for a mic???. . .Nice pic Tex, Texas is WAY bigger than france. :gun:, Wingnut do you have a couple of pics of those mics??

AustinWolv
03-22-2005, 04:48 PM
One solid solution: http://www.lonestarairsoft.com/modules.php?name=Reviews&file=viewreview&op=newreview&id=23

Katana
03-22-2005, 04:48 PM
That last question opens up this thread quite a bit, but for mic's IMO the only well proven options are: lapel/collar-clipped 2nd-wire unit (great because it never tangles on slings or other things because it's mounted close to your body instead of on an outrigger), and boom-mics (great because they're always within pick-up distance of your voice).

I actually find the question of what speaker set-up a rig uses to be of greater import than mic preference, but that's a different topic.

HammerHead
03-22-2005, 04:56 PM
For my intra-team radio I use an Otto Breeze headset, like the one Wolv linked to. It's configured for an ICOM IC-F4S / IC-F4GS radio.

For my intra-army radio, at large events, I use an ICOM HM-75A speaker / microphone combination, which can also be used on an IC-F4S /IC-F4GS. You can see the HM-75A on my Wasatch's (http://www.lonestarairsoft.com/forums/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/1582/sort/1/cat/500/page/5) left shoulder.

Tex
03-22-2005, 04:57 PM
I concur with Wolv on this one. I have appreciated the quality of my Otto Breeze. Last week, my mic went out on it suddenly, so now I am learning to appreciate it's warranty.

Don't let the fact that mine broke suddenly worry you. They produce a fine product and stand behind it. I have seen others' Otto headsets last for a very long time.

AustinWolv
03-22-2005, 05:03 PM
Just a quick comment......Tex' Otto is the first one that I know of having a problem. Other guys have been using theirs for 2-3 years now with no problems that I am aware of.

AustinWolv
03-23-2005, 11:18 PM
To add to the conversation: http://cobaltav.com/throatmics.html

I am working to procure one of these to review for the site.