PDA

View Full Version : Snipers, Which brand(model) is best.

SniperSon2002
03-19-2005, 04:39 PM
I had an M24 by CA. I know bad JuJu. :doh: It was suprisingly sturdy in comparison to the reputation. Un fortunatly it was stolen :cussing: while I was in bootcamp so I'm on the lookout for another rifle. I was wondering which brand would be the best to go with not only for quality in workmanship but having real good ergonomics. Simply it has to be of a good quality and feel nice. BTW the VSR-10 has been noted and was looking for a different rifle. I like the looks and know the feel of the real steel version of the Maruzen APS Type 96 but havent seen a review for it. Thx Guys

AustinWolv
03-19-2005, 05:09 PM
From what I know of them, CA did a nicer job with their M24 than they historically have with their AEGs. I think a couple local guys have them, and they shoot pretty darn well. One might be for sale if I recall correctly.

Are you tied to a spring sniper rifle? Or would you consider a semi-auto AEG sniper rifle?

The APS series, like the Type 96, is one to consider. Obviously more expensive than the VSR-10 to upgrade, but much cooler-looking in my opinion, although I haven't heard of significant performance differences. :) A local guy recently picked one up so perhaps he'll chime in here.

Other than that, others will have to respond, as I don't know a whole lot about the sniper role. :)

SniperSon2002
03-19-2005, 05:14 PM
Yeah I am kinda stuck on bolt action and if you look right as you posted your reply I edited my post mentioning the type 96. My Dad was a Scout/Sniper for the Marines and I got hooked on it from that. I have considered an AEG for a sniper rifle but I don't think it would feel right when One shot One kill was such a popular phrase in my household for so long. If I do get an AEG it will be for the balls to the wall assault type role.

SniperSon2002
03-19-2005, 05:52 PM
I found a thread here http://www.airsoftplayers.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1884&whichpage=9 and a review on it here http://www.floridaairsoft.com/reviews/type96 . It looks and sounds like a well built rifle. I'm still curious about other rifles if someone has some time to post.

AustinWolv
03-19-2005, 07:18 PM
bstann has a Type96, so maybe he'll chime in as he knows more about it than I.

Obsidian
03-19-2005, 09:37 PM
One shot One kill is only an option when the round goes where you want it to go. I had an APS SV for a while and dumped it in favor of a semi auto sniper rifle. The problem with bolt action guns is it takes too long for the bb to get there and there too many factors keeping the bb from hitting your target. You stand a much better chance being able to fire mulitple shots in sequence. That being said the APS was a fun gun....never had problems with it

SniperSon2002
03-20-2005, 12:00 AM
One shot One kill is only an option when the round goes where you want it to go.
Like I mentioned earlier it was in my household enough that if I have an option on one or multiple shots i'd opt for the single.(no offense) I feel like i've got enough experience doping shots with realsteel that I can manage ok. Maybe I just need to go play again, get lit up :flame: :angry: and change my mind on it. :doh: Lol

LaPHtA
03-20-2005, 09:30 AM
My sniper springer will always be my favorite (VSR-10 with full upgrades.) But once I laid hands on my SR-25 it just opened up a whole world of possibilities. The springer gives me the feel of one-shot-one-kill...but ONLY if the environment lets me. Wind, movement, distance...just like real steel, yes, but a follow on shot from the springer takes much longer than a second pull on my AEG. Thus, the airsoft sniper's motto: five-shots-one-kill. ;)

Keep the mentality of a real world sniper, and it WILL get you far in airsoft as well.

SniperSon2002
03-20-2005, 10:26 AM
Thus, the airsoft sniper's motto: five-shots-one-kill. ;)

Keep the mentality of a real world sniper, and it WILL get you far in airsoft as well.

Right on. like I said I'm probably going to have to get lit up to really appreciate it. Do any of the fields around here have rentals? I've only played with friends in the woods around our houses so I don't know what the fields are like. Thx for the reply

spazzytroy
03-20-2005, 11:42 AM
If I had to do another rifle, it definitely wouldn't be a T96. The stock hop is crappily consistent, and so are the aftermarket ones, with the exception of the Firefly chamber and Kurage packings. These are currently almost impossible so source. If you really want that that thumbhole stock, Id suggest an APS2SV and an Orca stock or something. Bottom line is that the T96 hop is a pain, don't get one unless you like frustration.

Heres a couple of good reads if you REALLY want to do a T96
http://www.airsoftretreat.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=68500
And a 14 page'er about those packings
http://www.airsoftretreat.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53318

hope that helped.
Troy

SniperSon2002
03-21-2005, 05:55 PM
Hey Troy,
I think you have convinced me of a VSR-10. I'm still going to be looking for another alternative though. If I do go with something other than a springer I'd get a M-14/M-21. I think those are some sweet rifles. I saw a thread about a release date in July.

CALI
03-22-2005, 06:10 PM
After testing and playing with Troy this past weekend I highly recommend the VSR-10 as well. It's cheap and looks durable to me. I may pick up one too...