PDA

View Full Version : Free Floating Rail System

Mouse
05-12-2003, 09:00 PM
I have seem these on websites. I Also heard they they illiminate any m-16 series barrel wobble.

What can you tell me about the "Free Floating Railsystem" as opposed to a normal Tokyo Marui Rail system? (What is the difference)

Do they really illiminate any barrel movement?

Thanks,
William

Katana
05-12-2003, 10:45 PM
Well...

If it were truly free-floating, that would mean that it doesn't touch the barrel in any way. And if it doesn't touch the barrel in any way, it couldn't very well reinforce it.

I don't know which parts you're talking about in particular, so I can't comment on specifics.

However, there are replacement metal outer barrels and small add-on reinforcement parts that will all pretty much eliminate barrel wobble.

I'd note that the only time I had barrel wobble on my stock TM M4A1 was when I dropped it, and that was easily cured by merely tightening a set-screw on the bottom of the outer barrel just in front of the delta-ring at the front of the receiver.

The severity of the problem is often exagerated and it's often easily corrected. If you really, truly want to stiffen up your Armalite, get a metal body and a one-piece outer barrel. All of mine are rock-solid, due to mods of that nature.

mcoupe11
05-12-2003, 10:58 PM
"Eliminate."

MrZero
05-22-2003, 02:29 PM
Aww Sami, you beat me to it.

I have a "free float" system on my M16, and it actually does eliminate all barrel wobble. Most rock solid rig I've got. Mounting it on a metal body is probably a necessity. The whole thing is held in place via ONE screw-down collar that threads to the body. The actual RIS\handguard never touches the barrel. However, as Obsidian stated, there's plenty of one piece barrels and "chamber blocks" out there that will eliminate barrel wobble completely, even on a plastic body. My SR is sporting a Guarder one-piece right now...