PDA

View Full Version : Silencers

spartan9873
02-15-2005, 07:42 PM
what do silencers do to the gun in actual battles? Is it for looks or for another reason? Becuase i know that they dont actually silence the guns
thanks

kestrel
02-15-2005, 08:06 PM
Some people use them to cover up an extended inner barrel. Other use them for cosmetics. And others use them to dampen the guns noise.
They DO suppress the sound but the gearbox noise is left. Using one in conjunction with a gearbox silencing job works best. (My teammate Justin has his insulated with Dynamat)

sickfoot
03-14-2005, 10:28 AM
Kestrel's right. I use my silencer mostly for cosmetic reasons. However, it does silence the noice considerably. It turns the noise from the typical wap wap wap to a dull thud thud thud.

AustinWolv
03-14-2005, 11:18 AM
The sound power is still very prevalent, but the tone deepens a lot. This only applies with silencers that have foam inserts in them with the barrel back far enough in the silencer. If the barrel runs to the end of the silencer, the foam doesn't do anything obviously.

shakman
03-15-2005, 09:25 AM
I have a "can" installed onto my AEG, but it's the TM tracer unit. It gives the appearance of a silencer can, but it also makes for a great nighttime/indoor tracer effect. Other than that, it's mostly for looks.

http://www.lonestarairsoft.com/forums/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/1916/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

id0l
03-15-2005, 05:51 PM
Mine doesn't do a damn thing, because I run a 407mm barrel right to the end of it. :D

I figured I'd rather have an increase in accuracy than a small decrease in sound output. If your supressor has a decent foam packing inside of it, and you aren't running a barrel to the end of it, it will dampen the sound a bit; not much, but the person you are shooting at won't be able to hear you popping off bb's at him quite as well...

Like Kestrel said, the main noise coming from the gun is in fact the gearbox. I recommend DynaMat-ting the inside of the gun shell where the gearbox sits if you really want to decrease sound output (it works, I did it on my AUG before I sold it to Justin). It cuts audibility roughly 35-50%...but I also had a silencer with foam around my barrel as well.

psychotic_forrest
05-18-2005, 01:58 PM
I have used an ICS M4 QD silencer, long version, and it worked good for me. I even noticed it silencing my shots over distances.