PDA

View Full Version : Aiming with a mask

sk8boardn1080
02-10-2005, 08:52 PM
I've been using a paintball mask for eye protection, but I can't aim with a rifle because I can't get my cheek up against it to look down the sights... I dont want to wear glasses cause I want my face and ears protected. What should I do?

kestrel
02-10-2005, 09:01 PM
You might want to look into a high mount reddot sight. This will allow you to view your aiming point with much more ease without having to get a proper cheek weld.

You can always "walk" the bbs to the target by just looking at them fly towards the target.

sk8boardn1080
02-10-2005, 09:09 PM
The red dot might be good. I have a spring rifle, not an aeg, so walking them won't work. What about one of those stocking caps that cover your whole face,(except the eyes,) and then wearing glasses over that?

kestrel
02-10-2005, 09:20 PM
Balaclavas do little to reduce impact and they get really hot.
I personally Just use goggles with the straps going over my ears to reduce the chance of bbs going into one.

Smog
02-12-2005, 04:05 PM
Elevated Red dots won't help. At least it didn't for me. What I did, is I cut the right cheek out. that way, I could put my right cheek on the stock. Plus if your cheek is on the stock, it is already protected. That's the only solution I have in mind. Hope this helps.

sk8boardn1080
02-12-2005, 05:56 PM
I don't want to cut the mask because I use it for paintball also...

kestrel
02-12-2005, 06:03 PM
You could always buy a relatively cheap JT mask (I picked one up for around $30) and cut that one. It would be cheaper than getting an elevated red dot too.

sk8boardn1080
02-13-2005, 07:53 PM
OK thanks for your help

masterofpuppets
02-13-2005, 08:26 PM
If you want to use a paintball mask for airsoft your best bet is a JT flex. I tried my profiler and couldnt get down the sights of an aug....so that's pretty bad. Also, a DYE Invision may work. I've never tried it, but it may work because the jaw protection on the Invision is very minimal.

DarkPaw
02-23-2005, 12:10 AM
Hello, I had the same problem... liked the protection afforded by a paintball mask, but couldn't get a good sight picture. Here's my solution: I bought a camo face mask at Walmart for about $10, the ones for hunters. I bought a half mask (covers nose down) since my glasses cover my eyes and I wear a boonie hat for my head. Anyways, the face mask is really thin... so I went to Lowes and bought some aluminum window screening. I reinforced the mask with the window screen via a hot glue gun. Presto, a face mask that provides sting protection, has a great camo job, and is cooler than a ski mask. I glued the window screen on the inside of the mask in a couple of pieces... I even screened the mouth and nose vent. It works great, you can still feel the bbs, but it takes the sting out, and it's very low profile so you can get your cheek in by the gun sights. If you wanted more comfort/protection you could glue a thin layer of foam (or a piece of thick blanket ect.) on top of the screen. If I knew how to post a picture (or if I could) I'd post mine. Good luck!
DarkPaw

I've been using a paintball mask for eye protection, but I can't aim with a rifle because I can't get my cheek up against it to look down the sights... I dont want to wear glasses cause I want my face and ears protected. What should I do?

Smog
02-24-2005, 12:11 AM
If you want to use a paintball mask for airsoft your best bet is a JT flex. I tried my profiler and couldnt get down the sights of an aug....so that's pretty bad. Also, a DYE Invision may work. I've never tried it, but it may work because the jaw protection on the Invision is very minimal.

The JT flex is the same one I had. At least I think. It's the one with the flexible plastic for the mouth area right? Anyways, the problem that still remains is the fact that the hard plastic for the cheek bone, right under the goggle, still interferes with placing your cheek and aiming correctly. I still think your best bet is to get a cheap pball mask and cut it. Cheers.

masterofpuppets
02-24-2005, 12:53 AM
JT makes a version of the flex with foam ear pieces called the Flex Pro. Good for bounces, very flexible.