PDA

View Full Version : Marushin KAR98k

Trench_raider
01-30-2005, 09:27 PM
I just scored a good amount of money on three Ebay auctions. I buy and sell wargame miniatures and sometimes make a good profit. Anyway, my first priority is buying the evil Judy a real steel Ruger Mk2 pistol but after that I still have about $300 excess cash this month.

I noticed that my favorite Hong Kong dealer DEN Trinity has the Marushin Kar98k on sale for $270. A quote I just got back from them makes it just $330 with shipping. That's a decent deal compared to what Kar98k replicas usually run.

I've done a bit of research and most of the reviews I have found online are pretty favorable. True, the Tanaka rifle is better quality and is all wood and steel. However it's also $500! From what I can see the gun shoots around 500 fps stock with green gas. With the adjustment for being an 8mm gun it sounds like it will fall under the 550 fps limit for sniper rifles. If not, using HFC 134a should lower the velocity to meet TASO guidelines. In addition the scope mount for this gun is fairly inexpensive and I have a real steel Mauser scope I could use along with all the appropriate gear like slings and such.

Wolv once commented that "Trench Raider is a nazi gun freak". Now while I object to the term "nazi" being used, the general meaning of his statement is largely true! :p Therefore i have been kicking around the idea of picking one of these up and trying my hand at a little sniping from time to time.

Yes, I am aware of the limitations of sniper rifles in this game. I'm more temperamentally suited to an assault rifle, but this might make for an interesting change from time to time. My general lack of mobility might even make this a desirable role for me as I'm usually bringing up the rear anyway.

Anyway, here are my questions:
-What do you think of the Marushin Kar98k and what have you heard?
-Does anyone here have any experience with gas powered rifles?
-Should I take the plunge?
-What do my OGD teammates think of me playing the sniper game once in a while?

"Trench Raider"

kestrel
01-30-2005, 09:34 PM
-What do my OGD teammates think of me playing the sniper game once in a while?
Quite honestly I don't think that any of us would have any objection to this endeavor. Its a game, so do whatever you think is fun (within reason of course :) )

-Does anyone here have any experience with gas powered rifles?
From what I hear, their not as accurate as spring or AEG sniper rifles. You may have a good deal of fun with it though.

AustinWolv
01-30-2005, 10:55 PM
What do you think of the Marushin Kar98k and what have you heard? Don't know much about it, but I am a big fan of seeing a variety of different weapons on the field. Have fun with it and do what is fun to you. Perhaps a good course of action, which I'm sure you're already doing, is checking various airsoft forums for people's thoughts on that particular replica.
I do believe it is a shell-ejecting model, such that you'd have to police your shells.
http://www.airsoftplayers.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6223&SearchTerms=marushin,98

Does anyone here have any experience with gas powered rifles? Not much, but some. I ran an Asahi M249 today which was quite fun, although a bit inconsistent because of the cold weather. Around the backyard, I've plinked with a Marushin M1 8mm carbine that is an absolute blast to shoot. In the near future, I plan on bringing it out to at least one skirmish, just to try something different even though it isn't as accurate as some other replicas. I do know that near the end of the mag's gas capacity, the velocity drops off causing loss of range. There are ways to remedy that however, such as rigging up an external remote gas source,which also allows you to monitor the input pressure to stay within allowable TASO muzzle energy. That is precisely what I would need to do to field the M1 carbine since with green gas in stock config, it shoots at an energy surpassing the rules, while with duster gas it would shoot too low to be worth fielding. In the case of 8mm weapons, it is not the diameter that matter, but the mass. Thus, the following chart is helpful: http://www.lonestarairsoft.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&file=viewfile&id=29
As you can see, the energy for the corresponding weapon classes is blocked off per BB mass. Thus, if you were using a .34g 8mm BB, you just locate that column and cross-reference what the chrono reading gave for that particular weapon, and you get the muzzle energy, which is easily compared to the 550fps with .2g BB muzzle energy.

Should I take the plunge? Well, hard for me to answer that, since it is your money. ;) However, if your research comes out such that you are ok with pros/cons, along with liking the rifle enough, I say go for it. If you end up hating it, there is always Ebay or airsoft classifieds. :) For example: http://www.airsoftplayers.com/classifieds/displayad.asp?adid=16018

Wolv once commented that "Trench Raider is a nazi gun freak". Hehe, :D
Nothing wrong with that. I would love to get the Shoei MP44 or MG42. There is a video of the Shoei MP44 that I'm trying to get up on this site, being one of the coolest airsoft guns I've seen shoot.

Trench_raider
01-30-2005, 11:23 PM
Perhaps a good course of action, which I'm sure you're already doing, is checking various airsoft forums for people's thoughts on that particular replica.

That was the first thing I did when I started to consider the gun. From what I can see it's fairly well thought of. Airsoft Retreat had a really good thread about the gun with replies with from a couple of guys who own examples. The Tanaka gun sounds better, but it costs a good deal more than I want to spend.

I do believe it is a shell-ejecting model, such that you'd have to police your shells.

It is.
However, I'm pretty good at catching ejected shells from my real steel Mausers so that should not be TOO big a deal. Of course I have to accept the fact that eventually I will loose a shell or two no matter how careful I am.

Thus, the following chart is helpful

Heh. I still can't get that damned chart to open for whatever reason. You may recall my having trouble with it when I was asking about my COP 357.

I may have to contact that guy in the ad you linked to. However I'm understandably reluctant to buy used guns...in particular gas guns.

Hehe, Nothing wrong with that. I would love to get the Shoei MP44 or MG42.

You know it! If I had any sense I would save up my pennies and buy an MG42! :AR15:

"Trench Raider"

Edit: Disregard about the Ad. I contacted the owner of that ad and he says he sold it a couple of days ago. No big suprise as if that's a working gun, it was a great deal.

AustinWolv
01-30-2005, 11:51 PM
Take a look at Arnie's site as well, as I thought I recalled seeing some threads there about it. Figured you already saw the reviews over there.

I still can't get that damned chart to open for whatever reason.What version of Excel do you have?

Trench_raider
01-31-2005, 03:09 AM
Ok, I finally got that chart working. It seems that my version of Excel was out of date.

Yikes. If the postings I have read so far on this gun are correct then it's going to way too hot with green gas. With .34 gram 8mm BBs the max velocity for a sniper rifle is 420 fps. With green gas the claimed FPS is close to 500. With HFC 134a, the claimed velocity is something like 290 which is of course to low for a usable sniper rifle. That is similar energy to a .20 rifle shooting 380 or so. It looks like it might not skirmishable weapon after all.

Thoughts?

"Trench Raider"
Disapointed....

AustinWolv
01-31-2005, 08:44 AM
A couple:
1. Mix green and duster gas. A shot of duster, a shot of green into the mag, although that is hardly a reliable, repeatable procedure.
2. See if the gun can be rigged to run off external gas source. Might be a challenge with the individual shells, and more easily accomplished with the Tanaka version which uses mags.

By the way, thought you might be interested:

Anyone awaiting the much fabled MP40 release from TOP will be please to know that First Factory now have a price of 49,800 Yen listed for the piece (manufacturers price 62,790 Yen) and... a release date. After much postponement the TOP MP40 should be out at the end of February this year.

Trench_raider
01-31-2005, 12:28 PM
A few:

1. Mix green and duster gas. A shot of duster, a shot of green into the mag, although that is hardly a reliable, repeatable procedure.

Agreed. Making such a "gas cocktail" does not seem very reliable at all.

2. See if the gun can be rigged to run off external gas source. Might be a challenge with the individual shells, and more easily accomplished with the Tanaka version which uses mags.

And to make matters worse the gas valve on these things is on the underside of the bolt. That is to say you have to open the action to get to it. I'm not exactly an airsoft wizard, but it does not sound like it would be very doable without serious surgery to the gun.

All in all, it sounds like this is a no go. It might be best to save my pennies for either the Tanaka gun (which shoots stock close to the TASO limit) or look for the older Marushin spring Kar98k. Damn Marushin for making this thing 8mm!

Speaking of saving my pennies:

Anyone awaiting the much fabled MP40 release from TOP will be please to know that First Factory now have a price of 49,800 Yen listed for the piece (manufacturers price 62,790 Yen) and... a release date. After much postponement the TOP MP40 should be out at the end of February this year.

Pardon my lapsing into "1337" for a moment: Wo07!!!!!11!!! That is good news. $480 eh? That's less than I expected actually. By the end of Feb. I should be getting my tax refund back too. Time to start dusting off the MP40 pouches I suppose.

"Trench Raider"

AustinWolv
02-01-2005, 10:09 PM
http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=8710&hl=

AustinWolv
03-27-2005, 11:13 PM
Trench, haven't seen you around in a while, but figured you'd be interested in seeing it one day: http://www.lonestarairsoft.com/forums/photopost/data/2/14tanaka_kar98-med.jpg

SniperSon2002
03-27-2005, 11:29 PM
It shoots pretty damn sweet. Id like to get the Spring version from the classifieds.

Trench_raider
03-27-2005, 11:44 PM
Trench, haven't seen you around in a while, but figured you'd be interested in seeing it one day: http://www.lonestarairsoft.com/forums/photopost/data/2/14tanaka_kar98-med.jpg

Hullo Wolv!

I have been in and out of the site a bit but have not been out to any skirmishes because my bum ankle has been acting up lately to point I have missed a bit of work. Calcaneal Bursitis sucks in a huge way. Obviously if I can't walk without crutches I can't run around the woods with a gun. For obvious reasons I've been avoiding making it worse by talking airsoft! :p

I'll be back out in a few weeks.

As for the gun, that is sweet! When did you get it and how does it shoot? What kind of fps are we talking? What sort of scope did you put on it as that does not look like any period scope I have seen.

Heh...do you want to borrow a German helmet to get into the right mood?

"Trench Raider"

Edited before I look like an idiot: is that the Tanaka replica of the 1.5X Zf41 sight? The scope covers threw me when I first looked at the photo ....

AustinWolv
03-28-2005, 12:08 AM
Trench, hope the ankle starts feeling better. In the meantime, I suppose it is still fun for you to plink with those revolvers and such. :)

The gun just showed up this past week. Shoots very nicely. The bolt action is very smooth and light. Very easy to actuate, so you can load shots quickly. The hopup needs a bit of adjusting, but I have it close.....the screw is rather loose, so I wrapped teflon tape around it. Muzzle energy is roughly in the 530-550fps range with .2g (equated with .3g BBs during my testing). Mag only holds 10 rounds, but it is pretty easy to reload. There isn't a whole lot of gas life per mag charge.....perhaps two mags' worth of BBs per gas charge, with velocity/range tailing off pretty quickly towards the end of the 2nd mag. The interesting thing is the little puff of gas exhaust that comes out of the barrel upon each shot.

The guy I purchased the gun from had this scope on it: http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?itm=TW-SC-ZF4198K_cat_Scopes

As for a helmet.....ehhhh, well....after getting dinged by a teammate's sniper rifle in the knuckle today as I was dumping rounds on him (don't ask....weird support versus sniper interaction moment today), maybe I will be wanting that helmet. :)