PDA

View Full Version : OP Aftermath

Obsidian
01-23-2005, 11:27 AM
Thanks to everyone that attended and braved the cold, the pits, granches, and sneaky players. I will work on the AAR today and try to have it up shortly. I have set up a gallery for the OP so if you have any pics throw them in there so everyone can check them out. The Gallery is HERE (http://www.lonestarairsoft.com/forums/photopost/showgallery.php/cat/514)

CenterMass
01-23-2005, 05:34 PM
Thanks to the OP staff for putting this game on.

I had a great time, even though I froze my ass off after the break. :cheers:

Trench_raider
01-23-2005, 07:10 PM
I had to run at the break but this 'op was a blast. It was bit cold, but one of the plus sides to being fat is more insolation! Thanks to the staff and all the other players out there for making my experience of airsoft at night a great time!

A shout out is also due to the ODG guys. Thanks for allowing me to fight along side you.

So when's the next night game?

"Trench Raider"

HammerHead
01-24-2005, 10:02 AM
As always I had a blast and really appreciate all the hard work you put into the event, Obsidian. I'm with Trench, when's the next night game! WOOHOO!

Obsidian
01-24-2005, 11:36 AM
I would really be interested in Pros and Cons that you saw from the night OP. For me I learned that I need a vehicle because I ran my ass off all night long. I also learned that its much harder to control a night op due to not having a good idea of where the players are. My original intent was to start everyone out on the northern end of the field and then move the missions out in the the wooded area. I had a hard time trying to get the teams to pickup mission supplies or get them to an area. I think it worked out ok as everyone was engaged thoughout the night. I also learned never to buy glowsticks from a Yahoo merchant. I spent about 150 bucks on 12" high output glow sticks that were going to be the objective sticks. I paid for 2 day shipping and found out the guy sat on them for 9 days before shipping them on friday. So I should be set for the next night OP. In anycase I ended up having to jump though hoops that morning and find small green and blue sticks. These sticks ended up costing us much more than we wanted to spend.

Manpower was also an issue for us. I had 4 other people on the field helping me with directing stuff but I was the only one with the missions and props. If a team ignored their prop for 45 min I was tied up for 45 min. I think the lighting worked well...both natural and electrical. My intent was to have the daywalkers side semi lighted and the nightstalkers in the dark. We didnt really get to push down into the woods untill the 2nd half.

Pros:
medic boxes worked well
red chemsticks for kill rags worked great
Operatives on the field worked well
moonlight and clear night were perfect

Cons
Comms of not havign a specific commander sucked
Not having a vehicle to move about the field
Not having waypoints marked on the field caused problems

AustinWolv
01-24-2005, 12:36 PM
Con:
-The break. Everyone froze. ;) Plus a lot of people left. No break next time.
-Too much light IMO. Night game = night conditions. Light equals targets and people walking up on each other too close because the lights ruin natural night vision.
-Need better understanding by the community of courtesy rules and safe play (too many close-shooting incidents; people not offering surrenders); not sure if this was because most people haven't played a night game before or what. Attribute part of it to the bunker-style field, which allows crazy types to rush others, causing unsafe conditions. I had someone walk right up to me, whom I surrendered. He thanked me and left. I didn't mind the self-KIA, even though he should have sat for 10 minutes, because someone coming up to medic him would have endangered themselves and me. Not more than 2 minutes later and 20 feet away, an opposing player behind a bunker lit into one of the guys on our side at nearly point-blank range when he could have offered a surrender. I don't think the stuff I personally saw was malicious, but just apprehension due to it being a night game.
When skirmishing in the woods which wasn't often, I didn't see those situations happen, although they may have.
In past night games, my experience was woodlands and field skirmishing, not potentially close-range stuff like TXPB bunkers facilitate. As a result of those types of close situations being magnified at night, which I hadn't experienced before, it wouldn't be out of the question to potentially discuss going with stock weapons at a place like that. At skirmishes out at places like Hunter's, it is a different story for the most part.

CenterMass
01-24-2005, 02:24 PM
-The break. Everyone froze. Plus a lot of people left. No break next time.
-Too much light IMO. Night game = night conditions. Light equals targets.

I'm with this except that I would have lights, but only at the "bases" and the base "owners" should have the option to use them or not. If the natural lighting is poor, I would say Saturdays natural ligting was an 11 on a 10 scale, then some lights throughout the field would be good.

Obsidian
01-24-2005, 03:42 PM
Well the whole point of the lighting was Daywalkers = lighted field.....Nightstalkers = Dark field.

That is why the daywalkers missions involved getting lights on and nightstalkers involved shutting them off :)

AustinWolv
01-24-2005, 04:20 PM
Yeah, except most of the engagements that I saw involved up near the tower/crackhouse/speedball field. Not much woodland/field work.

CyanRiven
01-24-2005, 06:45 PM
The Knights all had a great time! More so than we thought we would. Thanks again to Barry. I agree we just couldnt get warm after the break. But hey it really didnt seem all that cold prior to the break.
Great fun as always!

AustinWolv
01-24-2005, 06:57 PM
Pro:
-Night games are fun. They require patience, solid communication, solid teamwork.
-The flares were a nice touch for atmosphere.
-I think the red glowsticks for marking hit/dead players worked well.
-The red caution markers/lanterns for marking stuff seemed to work well.

Brittain
01-25-2005, 05:48 PM
Random comments:

- by far the best night OP of the 3 I've played,

- red sticks better than the day time equivalent,

- fun greatly diminished by trigger happy folks on our army. It's very discouraging being shot by guys that have every opportunity (e.g. the initiative, available challenge/response, I WAS WEARING BLUE!) to not shoot you,

- a little more downtime between missions than I'd have liked, but the missions given were fun and interesting,

- BIGGEST COMPLAINT BY FAR: too much ambient noise. IMO, if we're gonna do the night thing, we shouldn't have to listen to barking dogs, generators, 6 wheelers, 620 traffic, etc. Playing at Hunter's would prolly alleviate this.

- In contrast, I didn't have an issue with the light situation.

- thanks to Barry and the organizers, and to all the combatants.

AustinWolv
01-25-2005, 06:03 PM
Just to note generally, it is interesting to read various comments, seeing the vastly different experiences that people had. Thanks for posting, Brittain, as it helps jog my memory on things that I didn't touch upon.

- by far the best night OP of the 3 I've played, disagree

- red sticks better than the day time equivalent, agree; I thought they worked very well as long as the person put them on their head or thereabouts

- fun greatly diminished by trigger happy folks on our army. It's very discouraging being shot by guys that have every opportunity (e.g. the initiative, available challenge/response, I WAS WEARING BLUE!) to not shoot you, LOL, agree.

- a little more downtime between missions than I'd have liked, but the missions given were fun and interesting, neutral, as we must have had very different experiences.

- BIGGEST COMPLAINT BY FAR: too much ambient noise. IMO, if we're gonna do the night thing, we shouldn't have to listen to barking dogs, generators, 6 wheelers, 620 traffic, etc. Playing at Hunter's would prolly alleviate this. Very interesting observation. I can recall looking across the field and seeing cars driving by on 620, as well as consistent headlights shining onto the field from the neighboring apartment complex, along with the associated noise.

- In contrast, I didn't have an issue with the light situation. Disagree

coldblooded
01-26-2005, 12:51 PM
Ditto to Brittain's Wolv-edited post overall. Definitely the best night experience I've had.
-I thought the natural moonlight was enough. The generator/spotlight stuff made for a big strategic advantage etc...not sure it was what I would characterize as 'night gaming', though.
-I actually thought the paintball fields were way more fun at night (not when the spotlights were on them) than they are during the day. People were sneaking around all over the place, they were very hard to keep secure. Not like daytime where it's just a fast running BB dump.
-I would recommend for OP coordination in general that there be a dedicated staff member for radio comms. All too often we had secured objectives etc...and fell dead flat because we couldn't get Barry. I think a guy like Barry running the OP should be free to run around and take care of stuff. Set aside someone who has all of the mission details/objectives/etc just to run as a staff RTO.

AustinWolv
01-26-2005, 02:01 PM
Good points, cold. The trenches field was rather interesting because of the shadows created that people could creep low in, even when white light was being projected over them.