PDA

View Full Version : [04-10-05] TXPB - Standard Mag Day

AustinWolv
01-18-2005, 01:50 PM
Lonestar Airsoft automatically generated this thread for the following event:
TXPB - Standard Mag Day.

If you plan on attending the event click HERE (http://www.lonestarairsoft.com/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=118&day=2005-1-18&c=1).
This page contains a list of those attending. Please post if you have any special requests.

Obsidian
01-18-2005, 03:48 PM
So the rest of us get to sit and watch or something?

Forge
01-18-2005, 03:49 PM
That's also called "Bring a springer" day :P

boombaby
01-18-2005, 05:18 PM
I will be bringing my brother>Ups Dude and my friend and his dead sexy Thomson.

Katana
01-18-2005, 06:13 PM
If the new place is as big as I hear it is, I'm sure the spray and pray types can scratch together enough people to play on a different part of the property. :)

AustinWolv
01-18-2005, 06:30 PM
So the rest of us get to sit and watch or something?
Nobody is being forced to come or participate. Perhaps whatever field isn't being used that day will be available for those that want to run different skirmishes?

The reason behind trying it was based on the linked poll, which showed that there was some interest from the community: http://www.lonestarairsoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5859

Obsidian
01-18-2005, 07:18 PM
Why dont we play the people with standards on one team vs people with hicaps on the other......

Katana
01-18-2005, 10:39 PM
C'mon Ob, as much as you might disagree, as a representative of the community you should practice tolerance for even the minority's preferences, when they've got enough backing to be able to organize a viable game. :)

Anyhow, I'm sure there's enough room for both groups play simultaneously, and it's only one game out of however many we've played in the last several years worth of weekends.

AustinWolv
01-18-2005, 10:44 PM
Why dont we play the people with standards on one team vs people with hicaps on the other......
Because that isn't the point of the day. If it was, the event title would be named "Standard Mag versus Hi-cap Day". :doh:

Katana covered the rest.

:D

boombaby
01-19-2005, 04:43 PM
I think that some people will probobly want more action whereas standard mags call for conservation of ammo. This said it will create a somewhat less eventful day in my opppinion. On the otherhand it would force people to concentrate on their strategy more which everyone could benifit from.

It just depends upon what you feel like.

Katana
01-19-2005, 04:49 PM
"I think that some people will probobly want more action whereas standard mags call for conservation of ammo."

I had the opposite opinion. It will mean conservation of ammo is important, but it would also mean that a single player with a high-cap wouldn't be able to pin groups of people for any period of time, and would promote movement instead of everyone bunkering down because of all the bb's flying around.

Leudog
01-19-2005, 05:11 PM
If I understood what the post was started for by Wolv, it was to announce a standard Mag game, NOT a piss on the idea party. That has already happened, and there is still a poll for that.

Thanks for the announcement and look forward to playing.

Turtle
01-19-2005, 05:40 PM
is that the date?

AustinWolv
01-19-2005, 05:42 PM
Yes. April 10th, 2005.

This allows people time to plan ahead and/or save money in regards to procuring standard/lo-cap mags. Assuming the response is positive and people enjoy the activity, there is always the chance that we could do this every so often.

As Katana said, it lends itself to a different kind of gameplay. Some may like it, some may not. The only way to find out is to try it.

boombaby
01-19-2005, 06:13 PM
Katana, I stated that conserving ammo would call for more movement/strategy, but that high caps seemingly create a faster paced game.

Leudog>>I think that saying that these comments are pissing on the idea is a bit rough. I think people are just voicing their oppinions, and I cant speak for Wolv, but I belive imput rather helps show who would approve and who would disapprove.

Turtle
01-19-2005, 06:18 PM
then can i come in jeans , a long sleeve t-shirt, and sneakers,and if I dont get my AK by then, can I bring a springer? If so then can I also have some directions to it?
thanks

AustinWolv
01-19-2005, 06:32 PM
Katana, I stated that conserving ammo would call for more movement/strategy, but that high caps seemingly create a faster paced game. Yes, and what I think Katana is saying is that when people have hi-cap mags, things tend to get static since people can pour rounds down upon a position endlessly. Thus, people are less willing to move and/or they are pinned down. If someone doesn't have that endless supply of ammo, other people are more willing to take chances about moving, while the person shooting is more conscious of ammo being expended and tends to not just dump rounds everywhere, instead choosing to select shots that have a better chance of actually hitting something. That's why it is called spray 'n' pray.

To leudog's point, the purpose of this event notification is just that.....to let people know the event is on the calendar. The poll linked earlier in the thread is the place to debate the standards vs. hi-cap mag topics. The poll showed that there was some interest amongst the community of having such a day, so now it exists.

then can i come in jeans , a long sleeve t-shirt, and sneakers,and if I dont get my AK by then, can I bring a springer? If so then can I also have some directions to it?
thanks Yes, assuming you meet the age requirements of the field we are at and have proper eye protection. For the time being, the event is scheduled for TXPB here: http://www.txpb.com/

Katana
01-19-2005, 06:41 PM
Even re-reading your post, I don't read into it what you intended, but no matter.

boombaby
01-19-2005, 06:50 PM
Turtle, I can talk to you personaly in U.S. History if you need to know anything else. :)

AustinWolv
02-28-2005, 07:57 AM
A few people have asked me about the STAR mags. Here is one thread evaluating them: http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=10588&hl=
http://www.airsoftplayers.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4142&whichpage=3&SearchTerms=STAR,mag

There are other threads out there as well.

Ireland
02-28-2005, 04:23 PM
Standard mag day? springers?

masterofpuppets
02-28-2005, 05:13 PM
Well, all I have is standard mags so it's just a normal day for me.

AustinWolv
03-11-2005, 01:44 PM
This particular skirmish date is about a month off, so if you've been meaning to pick up standard mags, I'd advise getting on it.

For the STAR and standard mags, some US sources are:
http://www.airsoftworx.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=36&osCsid=b1b2eb5e718555d50c3a35e2014a4bb3
http://www.ramrodairsoft.com/index.php?cPath=25_24
AirsoftAtlanta

Should be plenty more out there.....

If you have any scenario requests, feel free to send them my way. The idea is to run several short, simple ones, but to organize them beforehand so we aren't standing around wondering what to do. :)

B.C.D.
03-13-2005, 03:35 AM
"So How did it go then?"

Oh sorry my bad.
Thank,
B.C.D.

AustinWolv
03-13-2005, 07:15 AM
So How did it go then?
Check your calendar.

Kilo
03-21-2005, 09:27 PM
Just my two cents...

I think it's a great idea!!! Plus, it's closer to the ideals I believe airsoft is all about, namely, honoring the fine military veterans who are or have been in harm's way so that we can play games like this.

Right on Wolv...

CenterMass
03-28-2005, 01:09 PM
I'm not going to be able to make this unless I get some cash for gear.

:cussing:

THX1138
03-28-2005, 01:19 PM
Dang, I'll be in Boston this weekend.
Do we run standard mag events a few times a year?

HammerHead
03-28-2005, 01:23 PM
This is the first event planned for such a purpose. If it is popular and successful, I'd predict that plans will be made in the future to accommodate more sessions like it.

masterofpuppets
04-04-2005, 10:17 AM
Anyhow, I'm sure there's enough room for both groups play simultaneously

I STRONGLY doubt this is possible. However, as the "slow" season is starting, I could very well be wrong.

Katana
04-04-2005, 11:18 AM
Heheheh... It seems like we only play on the 'beach' or on the 'hill', so I think there could be two skirmishes going on out there simultaneously with little difficulty, other than having to avoid the occaisional paintball game.

I would hope that we wouldn't see two games going however, and would instead see most people willing to try out a slightly different form of gameplay, with limited ammunition, in hopes of trying something new and finding something better than some of the bunkered-down spray and pray fests we've had recently.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to giving it a shot, and I hope others will give it a fair chance as well. If it turns out that people don't enjoy it as much, we can say that at least we gave it a shot. If people enjoy it quite a bit, then perhaps we can incorporate limited ammunition games into the schedule every few months or so.

Anyhow, until we get more goal/objective-oriented gameplay from a year or so ago back into the rotation, I'm looking toward this as an interesting diversion from the common move-to-contact.

CALI
04-04-2005, 12:38 PM
Heheheh... It seems like we only play on the 'beach' or on the 'hill', so I think there could be two skirmishes going on out there simultaneously with little difficulty, other than having to avoid the occaisional paintball game.

I would hope that we wouldn't see two games going however, and would instead see most people willing to try out a slightly different form of gameplay, with limited ammunition, in hopes of trying something new and finding something better than some of the bunkered-down spray and pray fests we've had recently.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to giving it a shot, and I hope others will give it a fair chance as well. If it turns out that people don't enjoy it as much, we can say that at least we gave it a shot. If people enjoy it quite a bit, then perhaps we can incorporate limited ammunition games into the schedule every few months or so.

Anyhow, until we get more goal/objective-oriented gameplay from a year or so ago back into the rotation, I'm looking toward this as an interesting diversion from the common move-to-contact.

I totally agree with you...I think this game will really prove how good you are with movements and expect closer engagements....

AustinWolv
04-05-2005, 06:32 PM
Individual skirmishing proposal for this date*:
-Start with quick 30min move-to-contact
-45min Firebase Defense
-60min Garrison Duty
-60min Lost Patrol

If people have a problem with any of the above, would just prefer to make up skirmishes on the fly, or would prefer to sub in a different skirmish type, please speak up.

*Skirmish names taken from document in the scenarios forum: http://www.lonestarairsoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4265

spazzytroy
04-06-2005, 02:58 PM
Does anyone have a chrono that they know is accurate, and wouldn't mind letting me borrow for a bit this weekend while we're out there? I'm trying to troubleshoot a distance/hop problem, and I'm not quite sure if i believe the ~350fps reading the TXPB chrono gave me.

AustinWolv
04-06-2005, 04:49 PM
Sure. Send me a PM as a reminder, and I'll bring mine.

spazzytroy
04-06-2005, 05:46 PM
Will do, thanks much.

BigLucky
04-06-2005, 10:43 PM
I have 6 standard mags, so if I can fit it into my moving I will try to show up.

AustinWolv
04-09-2005, 04:28 PM
Good stuff.

Looks like 4 Houston guys are going to show up also. Good time to meet some of those guys if you haven't before.

BigLucky
04-09-2005, 08:37 PM
As always plans change, gonna shoot a pistol match in San Antonio in the morning. If I get home in time to come out to get in on the hind end I will run out there.

AustinWolv
04-10-2005, 09:55 PM
I wanted to thank the Houston guys who made the drive up today. Weather was excellent, and we got a pretty good amount of skirmishing in with plenty of shooting. I also want to apologize to them for driving all the way up in what ended up being a pretty light turnout, given the usual Austin-area attendance.

Turned out well though with both sides having 5 each and sometimes those types of skirmishes are the most fun.

We owe them a trip down there in the near future.

self-edit: Another thing......I'm tired. A whole lot of movement and fast action today, along with periods of patience and calm. :)

SPLAT
04-10-2005, 11:54 PM
Is it worth doing in the future?

AustinWolv
04-11-2005, 12:00 AM
Is it worth doing in the future?
Well, in my opinion, a couple opinions I heard from people who actually showed up, and then a couple people who were unable to but wanted to.......yes, it is something that should be done every so often.

red112
04-11-2005, 12:39 AM
Great game today guys. Thanks for the hospitality, cant wait to do it again.

Tex
04-11-2005, 12:45 AM
I really enjoyed it!

The lower amount of BBs per magazine allowed you only one to three bursts of fire before having to reload, and I saw several people get nailed while changing magazines. Fire control was a must, and everyone learned it by the end of the day.

This made a difference because one person could not "pin down" a unit with sustained fire. It forced people to make contact, withdraw, move, make contact again, and so on. In my experience, there was more movement on the field during this low-cap skirmish than in regular skirmishes because of the gaps in fire caused by reloading.

Snipers were also more effective because they could not be suppressed continuously. They were allowed to pop up, take a shot, and get down again while others were tending to their reloading.

No one was running a support weapon today, and I believe that they would have increased value in a low-cap skirmish because of their ability to put out sustained fire. This would have been a much more important characteristic than the 50 fps velocity increase over the standard AEG.

I hope that more people will participate next time we hold a low-cap skirmish, because it will be interesting to see how multiple squads per side will support one another with increased tactical movement.

And it was great to see the Houston guys! I can't wait to skirmish with y'all again soon.

HammerHead
04-11-2005, 08:39 AM
I too, had a great time and look forward to such a skirmish again. We really appreciate the drive made by the four of ya'll to come out and have a good time!

Now, if I could just figure out where several of these bruises came from, I'd be good to go.

Bstann
04-11-2005, 09:03 AM
Had a great time. Would love to do the Standard mag thing more often. Makes you think more and not just spray and pray. Really liked the fact that it made squad movement more important. Reminded me how lax we have become with tactics and squad control.
Thanks to the Houston guys. We need to get down your way soon.

CyanRiven
04-11-2005, 09:44 AM
Always a blast guys! Thanks for the great games. The field is interesting and I agree with E6D (his post over at houstonairsoft.com), we need to get out their a few more times and learn the land a little better. It looked like their was a good portion we never even explored. Love the elevation changes! Finally something not totally flat in Texas! (and the water, "figures, squid... right?) Furthurmore I agree with everything said here, the limited rounds actually made units fall back, regroup, cover each other while reloading... etc... I noticed more movement and less fire, however it was more accurate fire which I loved, no more worring about mr. pray and spray half way accross the field just lobbing them over in your general vicinity. Maybe I'm just biased though... I always use standards, but I do have my "Oh s***" hi-cap for when I run out (at normal skimishes).

Thanks again, its always a blast hanging out with you guys!

P.S. Your not the only one beat! I didnt hit the rack until about midnight, and were back at work bright (ok actuall dull since its pitch black outside and tonado warnings floating around), early, and sore.

I'll get the picture off the camera tonight and get it posted for you guys. Pending my house has power when I get home.

HammerHead
04-11-2005, 10:11 AM
[sweet] Thanks for the pic and for coming out!

CyanRiven
04-11-2005, 06:09 PM
If i've got the opportunity to slap you around HH you know i'll be there :0)

HammerHead
04-11-2005, 07:41 PM
The implications of that statement coming from Navy personnel... just... scares me... ;)

CyanRiven
04-12-2005, 12:07 AM
That it should... that it should. HAH!

By the way the pictures are up.
http://www.houstonairsoft.com/reconphotos.htm

http://www.houstonairsoft.com/images/reconphotos/2005/040905/0302190008.JPG

Here's the link to the larger version incase you need it
http://www.houstonairsoft.com/images/reconphotos/2005/040905/0302190008rs.JPG

AustinWolv
04-12-2005, 07:17 AM
Thanks Cyan!

HammerHead
04-12-2005, 08:27 AM
CR always makes with the wacky poses... and E6D makes with the wacky jokes...

THANKS GUYS!

CyanRiven
04-12-2005, 08:55 AM
It's like my boy Yankee put it out (altered it for appeal).

Some of us may have been in the Army of one... but now were in the Army of Fun!

Thanks for the hospitality!

Forge
04-12-2005, 12:24 PM
Right, but who are the goofballs on the right in the back? Theres that one in the white hat and one with the ears thing going on...