PDA

View Full Version : Screensaver tackles Spam

Obsidian
11-29-2004, 06:58 PM
Cool idea from Lycos:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4051553.stm

Internet portal Lycos has made a screensaver that endlessly requests data from sites that sell the goods and services mentioned in spam e-mail.

Lycos hopes it will make the monthly bandwidth bills of spammers soar by keeping their servers running flat out.

Agrovale
11-29-2004, 07:54 PM
Ok, isn't that essentially launching a DOS attack?

Yeah, I think it's cool, but it's stooping to their level isn't it?

Rayzor
11-29-2004, 09:31 PM
As long as it kills off a great deal of spam, sounds good to me.

id0l
11-29-2004, 11:28 PM
I agree. To hell with spam! :)

Obsidian
11-30-2004, 12:52 PM
I figured out where to get it....go to this link:

www.makelovenotspam.com/

then in the dropdown on the bottom select international english and it will load a flash window with the download and all the statistics.

Deliverator
11-30-2004, 09:36 PM
Apparently, some pro-spam hackers DDoS'd the www.makelovenotspam.com site earlier today, and posted up a "cute" message for all to read. I found an article at ZDNet (http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/security/0,2000061744,39168558,00.htm), an Australian news website. The "Make love, not spam!" site is still down, hehe. Interesting article though.

I hate spammers.

MeanGreen
11-30-2004, 09:43 PM
This is very interesting since I have had Lycos Spyware install on two of my machines without my permission.

Obsidian
12-01-2004, 09:05 AM
Screen saver is cool....looks like a game of thermonuclear annhilation. It shows all the spam sites that your hitting and how much bandwidth has been used up.

kestrel
12-01-2004, 04:39 PM
Yeah the client was really cool up until the point that it stopped working (due to the servers going down) I wonder how long it will take to get them back up, or if they'll go through the trouble to do so.
As far as the moral issues of running a DOS attack I honestly don't care in the least bit for the people running spam servers.
While there are more legal ways to deal with spam I think that something of this type kills the problem at its root.

Think of it this way, spammers are the vandals of the internet trashing out everything in sight, this client simply walks in and "steals" all their tools of the trade. While "stealing" is bad isn't vandalism also bad? And if your stealing to prevent vandalism is it really such an issue?

Agrovale
12-01-2004, 08:52 PM
I saw a good analogy. It made me feel better. We are to spam what the Boondock Saints are to criminals. :D

Obsidian
12-01-2004, 11:02 PM
I dont consider it a denial of service attack. The point is not to flood their servers and shut them down the point is to use up bandwidth and cost them money. You can look at the screen saver and see that when it accesses a server the server is still running with full capacity. The other thing it shows is how much has been transfered from there. Some of them are in the Gigabytes of data range.

Deliverator
12-02-2004, 12:56 AM
I've heard it also limits how much data the client sends out to a particular site per day, like 3MB or something like that.