PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Recon 2 (XBox)

AustinWolv
11-18-2004, 11:54 PM
Spent most of tonight playing this title, and thus far, I'm having fun. Being a fan of the original on the PC, it is a bit weird using a controller. Furthermore, the game is slightly more fast-paced than the original, but not run 'n' gun either.

I'm liking it better thus far offline than playing Halo2 offline, and it has been more challenging. Online should be interesting to check out since there are a ton of game modes, but Halo2 might be more fun online because of the crazy amount of action. Guess I'll find out when I get a chance to run it.

Graphics look pretty slick IMO. The over-the-shoulder view works out pretty well, but the 1st person with no weapon view like the original is in the game too, but I haven't used it yet. Another new thing is that you can swap weapons that you find laying around.

Interesting to note that Oakley, Eagle Ind., and Blackhawk are all gear sponsers in the game, and it shows as the characters have Oakley goggles, Eagle vests, BHI chest rigs, etc.

The PS2 version is also out, I think, and it interestingly was developed separately, and it shows in that it has missions from about 5 years earlier in the "story" I've read, ie. different missions than the XBox version.

So far, the game feels a bit more "gamish/arcadey" than the original, but it isn't overdone. Of course, I'll get a better feel as I continue on.......

self-edit: Just played online for a few minutes with some random players in co-op quickmatch. Wow. That was fun. I could see how having some regulars playing as a squad would be lots of fun. The map we were running was a night mission, so the night-vision was in effect and the detail is excellent.

One thing I forgot to mention was that details of grass and stuff up close is very good through the night vision. In the original GR, you didn't even bother to use the NV, as you could see fairly fine without them. IMO, in GR2, the night vision is pretty cool as it shows the details and light amplification that you would expect from a Gen3 image intensifier (and even more so since the date is supposedly something like year 2010).

Hopefully, some other people pick this up.

Arsenic
11-19-2004, 08:04 AM
Wonder when the PC version is coming out. I am rather unhappy about this since IMO the PC version made it a big game, and now it comes out on the XBox first? I've seen the screenshots of it....and it looks awesome! I saw a SS of a person wearing the new Blackwater Gear in Multicam too. I'm seriously looking forward to its release on PC.

AustinWolv
11-19-2004, 08:19 AM
PC version is slated for March '05, last I saw.

Arsenic
11-19-2004, 08:23 AM
PC version is slated for March '05, last I saw.

Yeah....that figures.

HammerHead
11-19-2004, 08:32 AM
Does GR2 support cooperative play on Live? That was one of the more appealing aspects of GR, when it premiered two years ago. It's quite a bit of fun playing the missions online like that.

AustinWolv
11-19-2004, 08:47 AM
Does GR2 support cooperative play on Live? Yes.
Three options are available online:
Co-op - people against CPU enemy
Solo - every player for himself
Squad - people vs. people

Game types:
Co-op defend
Co-op firefight
Co-op recon
Co-op battle (respawns enabled)
Co-op garrison (respawns enabled)
Co-op scout (respawns enabled)
Co-op mission
Solo seek and destory (1st player to get a kill is the target. Gain points by killing the target or killing other players when you are the target. Most points, wins)
Solo Hamburger Hill (Control center zone as long as possible)
Solo Last man standing (be last player alive on map)
Solo sharpshooter (rack up the highest body count)
Squad domination (Work with your team to control bases around the map; longer you hold them, more points)
Squad Hamburger Hill (Work w/ team to control center zone)
Squad Last man standing (last team with player living wins)
Squad search and rescue (Work w/ team against other squads to bring hostages back to your base. Team with most rescues wins)
Squad Siege (One team starts out defensive position; other squad tries to break into base)
Squad sharpshooter (Gain points by eliminating members of other squad)

LaPHtA
11-19-2004, 08:57 AM
I'll get my copy today. :)

Dutch508
11-19-2004, 09:05 AM
love GR. will be getting mine this weekend.

HammerHead
11-19-2004, 09:20 AM
Yes.
Three options are available online:
Co-op - people against CPU enemy
Solo - every player for himself
Squad - people vs. people

Game types:
Co-op defend
Co-op firefight
Co-op recon
Co-op battle (respawns enabled)
Co-op garrison (respawns enabled)
Co-op scout (respawns enabled)
Co-op mission
Solo seek and destory (1st player to get a kill is the target. Gain points by killing the target or killing other players when you are the target. Most points, wins)
Solo Hamburger Hill (Control center zone as long as possible)
Solo Last man standing (be last player alive on map)
Solo sharpshooter (rack up the highest body count)
Squad domination (Work with your team to control bases around the map; longer you hold them, more points)
Squad Hamburger Hill (Work w/ team to control center zone)
Squad Last man standing (last team with player living wins)
Squad search and rescue (Work w/ team against other squads to bring hostages back to your base. Team with most rescues wins)
Squad Siege (One team starts out defensive position; other squad tries to break into base)
Squad sharpshooter (Gain points by eliminating members of other squad)

WOW! I'm onboard.

Maybe they'll pickup Bungie's party system too!

BigLucky
11-19-2004, 09:43 AM
Wonder when the PC version is coming out. I am rather unhappy about this since IMO the PC version made it a big game, and now it comes out on the XBox first? I've seen the screenshots of it....and it looks awesome! I saw a SS of a person wearing the new Blackwater Gear in Multicam too. I'm seriously looking forward to its release on PC.

It was originally an Xbox only game so it is not unusual that it is a little late releasing other platforms in the sequel.

Arsenic
11-19-2004, 09:50 AM
It was originally an Xbox only game so it is not unusual that it is a little late releasing other platforms in the sequel.

Which in my opinion is crap because the original GR came out on PC first. Nice to see that RSE doesnt care about the PC users as much. I guess they gotta go where the money is though.

AustinWolv
11-19-2004, 10:05 AM
MS is where the money is at. And it plays, thus far at least, more like a console game than the original PC game. Thank God it isn't run 'n' gun though.

I would imagine the PC version will have some differences.

LaPHtA
11-20-2004, 04:55 PM
I picked up my copy of GR2 for XBox this morning. So far, I will say this:

GR2 is everything I had hoped FSW was going to be.

Bstann
11-20-2004, 06:34 PM
Picked up mine. Havent played it yet but I got it.

AustinWolv
11-20-2004, 06:53 PM
I played offline for a couple hours last night. If you aren't patient and careful, you will get whacked. Definitely cannot run 'n' gun, which I really like. The game is fairly linear, and similar to the original GR, opfor will come running to the sound of gunfire. Patience allows you to get easy kills in this regard, but they can also rush up on you unexpectedly.

BigLucky
11-20-2004, 08:08 PM
I am not good at patient or careful.

I love the game, it is just way harder than the original GR, so it will be more challenging. I find myself getting killed at the same place over and over and still not seeing any OpFor.

LaPHtA
11-20-2004, 08:12 PM
That, big guy, is a sniper. :p

(Don't sing it!!!)

AustinWolv
11-20-2004, 10:35 PM
Is it just me or do the voice commands not work that well? In SOCOM the voice recognition was solid, but the only way I've gotten them to work is to cup my hand over the mic. I've stopped trying.

AustinWolv
11-20-2004, 11:20 PM
FireteamATX has been created for this title. Invites have been sent. :)

LaPHtA
11-21-2004, 08:05 AM
Honestly, until I read your post I had no idea I could use voice commands like in the SOCOM games. :)

AustinWolv
12-07-2004, 07:56 PM
I finished this game last week. Enjoyed it quite a bit, but I can't imagine playing it on difficult yet. Played some of the quick mission stuff and talk about getting rocked at points.

Haven't played online at all since a few of us here on the site were on one night, but would like to with some people I actually know instead of strangers.

Bstann
12-07-2004, 08:04 PM
I'm up for it.