PDA

View Full Version : BSA Red-dot sights and MZ Holosights

id0l
11-18-2004, 02:13 AM
I'm having trouble deciding between a nice red-dot. I like the looks of holographic sights, and the functionality. But I also like a few of the standard-looking red-dots. For example, a red-dot sight I am interested in is the BSA 50mm RD50SB (http://www.bsaoptics.com/productdetail.asp?ID=519&Prod_Code=RD50SB), which I have found online for a mere $88 (compared to the $130 retail). On the other hand, I also like the Mojji Zero (http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?itm=ZERO-SC-RDS_cat_Reddot%20Scopes) (~$120) holographic sight.

I'm at a loss here because I have no experience with either type of sight. Maybe an experienced player(s) can give me some feedback about the pros and cons of each one (either specifically those models, or the sights in general).

Basically, I was looking at holosights first, because I liked the advantage of having an "open" sight, possibly because you could view more things in front of you (no "tube" blocking your vision). But after finding a 50mm aperture red-dot in a compact form, I'm not sure I would really need one.

Another thing. I am going to be mounting the sight on an MP5. Now, if I got the low-profile scope mount (http://www.airsplat.com/Items/AC-MNT-CA-A079M.htm), would the iron sights be shown through the red-dot? I don't really like the looks of the high-mounts, but if it's necassary to use those for unobstructed vision, I suppose I could.

Thanks for any help!

AustinWolv
11-18-2004, 02:54 AM
As for that BSA, you can find it cheaper. For example, http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?dept%5Fid=180605&sku=22384&imgid=&mscssid=EFVD7FHN59QJ8G1U8A9SF9K22C631D49

Another source would be Ebay. For Airsoft, the BSA line is a good choice, seeing as they are fairly well-built. They also have a warranty, something that most of the Airsoft knock-offs won't have.

I've used both holosights and tube-style reddots. The holosight-type is a bit more open off that bat, but I honestly didn't pick up that much of a difference once you get used to the tube-style. Reason being that you learn to look through and past it with both eyes open, not just through the tube solely. Thus, you get a pretty good heads-up view anyway. Frankly, I'm more used to the tube-style, just because I've used them more.

Another minor point to consider with a tube-style is that you can use an ARD (anti-reflection device) with them, whereas that isn't possible with most holosight-types sights. Look up Tenebraex to learn what an ARD is. Not essential whatsoever, but still worth noting.

As for your mount question, let me ask you this: Once you get a reddot or holosight, why would you bother using your iron sights? ;) Good practice in the real world to cowitness sights, yes, but not all that important for Airsoft. However, you will be able to see your iron sights through the reddot provided it sits low enough.

Dragon
11-18-2004, 10:52 AM
Why spend that much on a 50mm red dot when a 30mm is half the price and is just fine?

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?dept%5Fid=180605&sku=SCP%2D025&imgid=&mscssid=9UCQA741L95C8GL5WDAGE7C4KGJX2EKB

I have this one and it works great! I put a kill flash on the front and flip up lens covers on both ends and I was golden.

id0l
11-18-2004, 04:14 PM
Wow, thanks for those links! I had no idea I could get those for that cheap.

Well, my point about the iron sights is this: if you can see your iron sights through the red-dot, does that obstruct your vision when trying to target with the red-dot? I mean, I don't really plan on using the irons once I get one, that's my point. I guess it probably isn't a problem since you use the r.d. with both eyes open?

AustinWolv
11-18-2004, 04:20 PM
Bingo. With both eyes open, you look through the sight, but also catch the view around the sight as well. It is like the views are combined, such that you pick up the reddot on the target and kind of "forget" that the rest of the sight is there.

id0l
11-18-2004, 04:38 PM
Interesting that cheaperthandirt charges you tax when ordering online. It makes the price come out ($85.46) almost exactly the same as opticsplanet, where the r.d. is $87.99 with free UPS shipping...

Weird, I've never been charged tax before when ordering online.

Also, can someone explain exactly what "Field of View @ 100 yards" means in reference to the r.d.'s? I assume a higher FOV is better, but am not quite sure on what this is...

Dragon
11-18-2004, 04:50 PM
You were just there...

http://www.opticsplanet.com/info/how_to_buy_riflescope.shtml

AustinWolv
11-18-2004, 04:52 PM
Weird, I've never been charged tax before when ordering online. That is because cheaperthandirt is in Texas, and so are you. Hence, you get charged tax. Take a look at Ebay to try and find one cheaper, or consider Dragon's suggestion.

FOV is basically the area of view that you'll see through an optic.....it refers to the angle from left to right side of the picture, as well as top to bottom. Google would have been a good option to look that question up.

id0l
11-18-2004, 05:04 PM
Oh, I didn't know they had an explanation right there on OP. :)

I guess I've just never ordered anything online from TX.

CenterMass
11-18-2004, 05:11 PM
I bought the 30 MM BSA Red Dot from Academy $32.22 out the door on Friday. No wait time or shipping charges.

id0l
11-18-2004, 05:34 PM
Cool. I'll have to go check out Academy...wonder if they have the 42mm/50mm sight.

BigLucky
11-18-2004, 06:08 PM
Look at the 30mm, I bet you will be happier. I have a Simmons 42 and don't like it at all, it is just too bloody big.

However if you are dead set on the bigger tube I will sell you my 42 for what you buy the 30 for at Academy, all I have to do is find the mounts which should be no big deal. :cheers:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0020951711763a&navAction=jump&navCount=1&indexId=cat320001&podId=0020951&catalogCode=XE&parentId=cat320001&parentType=index&rid=&cmCat=MainCatcat20712&hasJS=true.

id0l
11-18-2004, 10:37 PM
Hmm...maybe I should look at the 30mm. I still want to check out the 42/50mm as well and see how big they are (I have bad eyesight).

Dragon
11-19-2004, 10:12 AM
To my knowledge, red dot sites don't actually improve vision. What they do is increase the ability to see your sights and align your weapon accordingly to your target. Faster target aquisition basically. If your looking to improve your vision by enhancing the stuff you see through an optic then you need to look at scopes.

If you have bad eye sight and you want to see far away targets, get a scope. ("Far" is a very relative term too.)

If you want to see exactly the same thing but have a "Red Dot" appear in your sight picture then a red dot sight is what you want to get.

id0l
11-19-2004, 04:03 PM
I know what the difference is. :)

I am talking about a larger aperture might be easier to look through if I have bad vision. Which is only when I am not wearing contacts or glasses.

It probably makes no difference anyways.

Dragon
11-19-2004, 05:27 PM
With both eyes open it doesn't make that much of a diff. Just swing by Academy and look at them side by side. small weapon + large optic = funky. (IMHO)

CALI
11-20-2004, 01:42 AM
BSA Red Dot is about $29.00 at Wallmart...

ap0gee
11-20-2004, 03:07 AM
Really? For which one?

edit: Posted by id0l, I'm at my friends. :)