PDA

View Full Version : Half-Life 2

Peashooter
11-17-2004, 12:06 AM
Ok, I got home from the GameStop with my newly purchased Half-Life 2. Stuck the CD(s) in at 12:40, was not done installing / registering until 1:35. Did anybody else have that issue :confused: . Anyway, After about 2 seconds of playing the game I was simply amazed at how great it looked AND ran on my not so up to date computer. The game play is very fun, not to fast paced not to slow. Its full of puzzles and lots of action. I had gotten stuck at several points but it is not impossible to figure out. The story line is unsurpassed except some good RPGs, it goes along good with the original Half-Life. It is the best shooter that I have ever played and I will probably be playing it non-stop for a week or so. :D. I hope that everybody enjoys this game as much as I have in the last several hours.

Obsidian
11-17-2004, 12:20 AM
Mine installed in about 2 seconds off the DVD due to having downloaded it from steam. I think the game is remarkable. I do have a few issues with the steam implementation in that you have to validate your game online prior to playing. This sucks when the whole world is trying to do the same thing. My highlight so far:

I spent 20 min of hl2 grabbing phones and tearing them off the cord and then throwing them at security guys...they would chase me down through the maze of this line forming thingy as I jumped over the dividers.

id0l
11-17-2004, 12:48 AM
I'm downloading right now...though my friend seems just as impressed as you guys so far.

Agrovale
11-17-2004, 10:35 AM
So far I think it sucks.

I started downloading it off of Steam a few months ago, but it would never get to 100%. So I went to Frys and purchased it. Went home and tried to install it, but the installer would crash almost instantly. This went on until I uninstalled Steam from my computer. The install would actually start now, so I let it go. I come back to check on it and it is stuck on disc 2. After much messing around and trying to get the file it can't find off the CD through other means I thoroughly inspect the disc and find that the damn disc looks like it got munched in the duplicating machine. Yay.

So, I head on over to the Vivendi Universal support site, which won't load because it's being hammered. After about an hour I finally get on and go to the tech support chat to see if I can get the file off of steam. I see that there are 86 people in line ahead of me and there is a 96 minute wait. So I wait. And when it is my turn I get a message that says 'Sorry, there are no techs available. Try back later. Click here to close the window.'

I open up Steam to see if I can download HL2, nope. Not without charging my credit card. So I get to take this POS that cost me 5 hours of grief back to Frys today.

id0l
11-17-2004, 04:15 PM
The disc came like that? Strange indeed...

ryanmoret
11-18-2004, 07:18 PM
I beat it yesterday. I was dissapointed on how short the game was, but I am highly looking forward to some of the mods that will be released.

Day Of Defeat and Insurgency to be exact :-D

Agrovale
11-18-2004, 08:35 PM
Ok, now that I have a working copy and have gotten to play it some, here's what I think. I'm not going to say it's the best game ever because I haven't finished it yet, and because it lacks it's own multiplayer. IMO Counter Strike:Source is NOT Half Life 2 multiplayer, because I can't shoot terrorists through the wall with the Tau Cannon. :D

Pros: Smooth gameplay even though I don't have the latest and greatest video card, even running at 1600x1200 with 4x anti aliasing.

Intense, fun, and varied gameplay.

The character amimation and models are simply amazing. While they are not quite up to animated movie quality, they are the best I have seen in a game. The facial expressions add a lot to the experience. Also, the environmental and object textures are really well done.

The best car engine sound effects ever heard in a game, hell, all of the sound effects are really good.

You can actually shoot through chain link fence and gratings and vents unlike some other games. IE, if you can see a bad guy, you can hit em... well, unless it's the bullet proof glass.

Cons: There are only a few things that bug me, and they are all of a technical nature, and are things that should have been fixed in the 5 years it took to get the sequel to market.

Why do muzzle flashes not illuminate walls, floors, and ceilings? This could just be an NVidia thing, so does anyone else have this issue? Say you are standing next to a wall and shooting over a crate. The muzzle flash will illuminate the crate, but not the wall.

On some models, such as the pulse rifle, and the guages on the mudskipper, things that should be round are obiously polygonal.

Quite frequent loading of map data. Granted the game only stops for 15-30 seconds to load, but when you are in the middle of a fast moving sequence it is very disruptive. Most games have very little noticable load times nowadays. Halo 2 spends virtually no time loading during the campaign.

Not much of a story so far. I have lot's of unanswered questions about the time between HL and HL2 that I am hoping will be answered by the end of the game.

R4lph
11-18-2004, 11:49 PM
Quite frequent loading of map data. Granted the game only stops for 15-30 seconds to load, but when you are in the middle of a fast moving sequence it is very disruptive. Most games have very little noticable load times nowadays. Halo 2 spends virtually no time loading during the campaign.
the game.

Well, what you said about Halo 2 is sort of true. It still spends all the time loading that any other game would but the loading time is covered up by all the movies in between levels so it doesn't seem like it ever loads :)

On another note, I played on my friends campaign game for a little bit today and I really like the game. Especially picking up anything you would ever want to with the grav gun and then using it at a shield or blasting it at people. :gun:

Agrovale
11-19-2004, 12:51 PM
Well, what you said about Halo 2 is sort of true. It still spends all the time loading that any other game would but the loading time is covered up by all the movies in between levels so it doesn't seem like it ever loads :)

Exactly, that's why I said 'virtually' no load times. Perhaps I should have said that is doesn't abruptly stop to load, and take you out of the story for that period of time.

Luigi
11-20-2004, 11:01 AM
I got the game, very fun. My only problem with it is that it takes forever to get back to City 17. Which I think are the most fun fights. Although storming a beach with antlions is funny and fun all together. I reccomend anyone to go purchase it.

Matt
11-20-2004, 01:52 PM
I just finished the game last night, and I dont think they actully moddeled Gordon Freeman. Mabe I wasn't looking hard enough but not once did I find a mirror in the entire course of the game.
Graphicly the game rocks, but I think they forgot a rather vital component. Story line, now mabe its just me but the story line behind this one just seems weak. It feels more like a puzzle game with guns then a first person shooter half the time, and the other half of the time rather then accomplishing anything you are mearly trying to get from point A to point B without getting yourself killed. I dont know, it just dosen't seem like there was a whole lot of purpose behind anything you do in game.

I suppose if I had actully beaten the first HL rather then getting all the way to the end, and then losing interest it would make more sense... And I never did get around to playing any of the expansions like blue shift or opposing force. Oh well It was fun the first time around, but I dont know how much replay value it will have for me. Other then that the CS source is interesting it'll hold my attention for a little while. Till Battlefield 2 comes out anyways.

ryanmoret
11-20-2004, 04:41 PM
I know what you mean. It seemed as if there was a large gap of unexplained happenings between HL and HL2. The expansions were nothing but the black mesa event from a different perspective of the story. I did beat HL and all of the expansions and I don't have a clue what happened that link these two games together.

Peashooter
11-21-2004, 11:52 AM
Yea, after starting to play Half-Life 2 agin and got over the coolness of the game. I see ya'lls point, there is a pretty big gap but I guess I was just ready to kill something. Steam is very lame altho I can see their reason for doing it. Do the mountains make you feal like your play Half-Life agin by the way they look? Yes the game was quite a bit shorter than I was hopping. Especially after waiting so many years for this game.

Obsidian
11-21-2004, 03:21 PM
I keep hearing everyone say how short it is...you people must be playing 24/7 because I have been playing 3 to 4 hours a night for a week and estimate that I am 3/4 of the way through the game. Perhaps if you are going through the game that fast it explains why you do not get the storyline. The whole story has been explained by all the NPC's of the game. In addition administrator breen explains the story and then some. You get background into some of the stuff from the original halflife.

Milkman
11-21-2004, 05:19 PM
Amazing game, and I have to agree with obsidian. I just finished the game after playing it 2-4 hours a day starting Wednesday. God I can't wait for HL3. And it should come out much sooner since Valve has already written its Source engine.

Luigi
11-23-2004, 09:33 PM
Depending on how fast you beat the game. The game could have no story at all, or a big twisted one. I beat it going between fast and cautious. And the best of the game is not just getting to point A to point B, it's how you do it, and the different ways of doing it. Plus, if you want to make things a little more interesting without being too cheap. You can set your gravity gun power much stronger so you can lift cars. Just look it up. Yeah and beating the game really fast will have you feel like the replaying inso great and the game was short. IT is about an 18 hour game.

Agrovale
11-23-2004, 11:35 PM
Well, I finished it. And while the gameplay was fun, varied, and entertaining. I still don't know what the story is supposed to be. I know the combine have come to earth, for some reason. And Dr Breen is collaborating with them. He has some grand plan for humanity that he is constantly claiming that you are wrecking, but you never find out what it is. And right now I really want to kick the G-Man in the teeth.

Obsidian
11-24-2004, 07:06 PM
I realized how I know more of the storyline....I splurged on the collectors edition. There is a thing with it that talks about the whole storyline....the gist is that after the end of halflife 1 gordon goes off and helps the Gman with the hope of helping out humanity. This is why the Gman is the first person you see when the game starts. He is telling Gordon there is something new threatening the human race...etc.

The story behind the combine is that they are a group of alien races that have been taking over the whole galaxy. They were attracted to earth by the dimensional portal that was opened up at black mesa during the first half life. Administrator Breen brokers a peace deal with the combine which leads to the subservient existance for whats left of earths population. As a tie in to the previous game administrator breen was the administrator of Black Mesa which is why he knows Gordan. The combine are reprocessing the earths resources for their own needs....Anyways there was a ton of stuff that was cut from the game.....With the amount of stuff they had modeled and did not use there should be a sequel right around the corner.

Peashooter
11-24-2004, 10:49 PM
I beat the game fairly fast. I did not get the collectors edition yet I had learned all the stuff Obsidian posted the first time around. Its there you might just have to look a little harder.

Milkman
11-28-2004, 02:21 PM
Interesting site dealing with the Half-Life timeline:
http://members.shaw.ca/storage_4/hl2story/

Icedog213
12-01-2004, 06:54 PM
Just thought I should mention that Half Life 2 Deathmatch was released today. You should be able to download it fairly fast through steam. So far it has been ok, but the lag is starting to get to me. Ive joined about 9 different servers and in every server everyone had a ping of 70-200 (many lag spikes) and the fps (frames per second) wasnt very high either. This dosnt make for very fluent game play.

spetz
12-03-2004, 11:32 PM
Havn't been able to play it yet...my computer has a pos graphics card and therefore my computaer can't run it. But this game is truly something amazing.