PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading internals!

id0l
09-30-2004, 11:14 PM
Okay so tommorow night I am going to be taking out my gearbox for the first time (I have an AUG). I am upgrading the cylinder, cylinder head, piston, piston head, spring, spring guide, and nozzle. I shouldn't even have to touch the gears or anything like that. I have watched (and saved) the gearbox takedown videos, which I am using as a sort of guide (I'm a learning noob). My question is, out of the parts I'm replacing, which of these need to be oiled with silicone oil and which need to be greased (with what kind of grease)? Arsenic told me to oil the o-ring on either the piston head or cylinder head, but I can't remember which. Does the cylinder itself need to be oiled on the inside?

AustinWolv
09-30-2004, 11:37 PM
Opinions differ on this.

First, read this: http://www.austinairsoft.com/modules.php?name=FAQ&myfaq=yes&id_cat=12#56

My opinion:
Lube gel (or a heavy silicone oil, like 80-90W RC shock oil....a thinner silicone oil will disperse too easily) - O-ring on piston head; o-ring on cylinder head; rails of piston; inside of piston; spring guide (if it has the bearing); cylinder head shaft that the nozzle rides on; teeth on piston/sector gear; don't need to lube the inside of the cylinder since the o-ring on the piston head will do that.
White lithium grease - gears, anti-reversal latch

Obsidian
10-01-2004, 09:39 AM
Look at it this way.....the lube is there to cause parts to seal and prevent air leak. It is also used to reduce friction so that the parts will move across each other and not bind. Use it where you would prefer the parts to seal....cylinder, nozzle, cylinder head, piston head. Also use it on the parts you want to move, Piston, tappet, gears. I use this stuff called lube gel that you can get from radioshack. I use it for everything and it has not failed me in the 100+ guns I have torn apart.

id0l
10-01-2004, 02:21 PM
Ok, I will go get some of this lube gel before I take my gearbox apart. Thanks Obs and Wolv.

PS - Do you use it even for the gears?

id0l
10-02-2004, 06:45 AM
WOW. After about 7 hours of teaching myself gearbox innards (firsthand) and tinkering and getting pissed off, I finally did it!! My first gearbox takedown was a success...mucho thanks to AustinWolv, Obsidian, Arsenic! By far the hardest part was getting the spring (m120s) in the damn gearbox and getting it to stay there while I messed with other stuff (I ended up electrical taping the cylinder to the gearbox to keep the spring in). I accidently knocked off about as many peices as possible...figuring out the damn trigger positioning after it just fell out was a real pain in the ass. That and the anti-reversal latch (getting it to stay). I lubed all my gears and inspected all parts...seems RedWolf did a good job to begin with as all gears were greased well and all bushings in good shape.

Well, I learned alot and am confident I can fix anything that happens to go wrong with my gearbox later down the line. It may take me forever, but I can do it. :D

LT.
10-11-2004, 09:34 PM
hey idol! since you already successfully opened you gearbox, can i ask what gears you use (stock?) and what spring you have in your gun? (m-series, pdi, prometheus, sp etc) might have a few suggestions for you, if you don't mind.

id0l
10-12-2004, 12:01 AM
Yeah I'm still running stock gears...probably not gonna replace them until they get shredded. Then I'll get some Systema Torque-Up gears, most likely. I'm also running a Systema M120S spring.

:D

LT.
10-12-2004, 04:13 AM
cool! that's even better. hehe no need for my suggestion then. hope everything works out for you.