PDA

View Full Version : Piston: Aluminum or Polycarbonate?

id0l
09-12-2004, 09:23 AM
I'm thinking about upgrading the piston in my Aug (among other things). I am not sure what to do about the piston though. I hear an aluminum piston (specifically Systema's) is as durable as they come, adds extra kick when firing, but may lead to hazards when using upgraded steel gears in conjuction with it. Is this true? Would aluminum shavings eventually be scraped off the piston and left floating around my gearbox?

Now the polycarbonate piston (which of these are good?). I hear they are not as durable as aluminum (but still better than stock), add no extra kick, but probably would not cause any sort of gearbox hazards.

As you can see I am totally confused on the piston situation and am looking for advice!

By the way I will be running Systema Silent Head set V.3 (piston/cylinder head) along with a Systema M16A2 cylinder, Systema air nozzle, and Systema M120s spring with aluminum spring guide. Just undecided about the piston. :confused:

kestrel
09-12-2004, 09:47 AM
From what i've heard you should use the polycarbonate piston unless you want to be replacing gears regularly which is rather expensive. I, however, have not personal experience in the matter so others may think otherwise.

AustinWolv
09-12-2004, 10:29 AM
Doing a search would have yielded this thread: http://www.austinairsoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4871&page=2&pp=10&highlight=aluminum

You'll find many of the board regular's thoughts listed already there. :)

Polaris
09-12-2004, 06:06 PM
Wow, a link to one of my threads, coolio!

id0l
09-18-2004, 03:28 PM
Well I'm thinking about getting the Systema Area 1000 Polycarbonate Piston. Here it is: http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?itm=SYS-A01_cat_Systema Pistons And Piston Heads

Anyone have any experience with these? It is only $7.50 as compared to $22.50 for the Systema Polycarbonate Piston...which is here: http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?itm=SYS-ZS-05-01_cat_Systema Pistons And Piston Heads

Any reason for the price difference? Which one is better (for high power upgrades)?

AustinWolv
09-18-2004, 05:04 PM
I've had pretty good experience with the Area1000 polycarb pistons. One lasted 37,000 rounds in an AEG running near 450fps. I've had them in other guns also, and they are still running well. I haven't seen any reason to go with the $22.50 ones, as I've shattered Systema red pistons, but not the Area1000 black ones.

id0l
09-21-2004, 12:16 AM
I've had pretty good experience with the Area1000 polycarb pistons. One lasted 37,000 rounds in an AEG running near 450fps. I've had them in other guns also, and they are still running well. I haven't seen any reason to go with the $22.50 ones, as I've shattered Systema red pistons, but not the Area1000 black ones.

Thanks! I have ordered the Area 1000 piston along with a 590mm PSG-1 tightbore for my aug (soon to be phantom aug), Hurricane upgrade kit, and "Air Seal Nozzle". :D

space
09-22-2004, 08:47 PM
Good link, Wolv. Thanks.