PDA

View Full Version : Steyer Aug

Blue Fox
09-08-2004, 06:40 PM
I have read many reviews on this weapon and it appears to be a really good gun, but I still have one question, why is this gun rarely seen on the field? Is it because this gun has suggestive styling or are the armalite series just a better choice of gun? (for upgrades and customs jobs)

Katana
09-08-2004, 07:05 PM
The Steyr has a distinctive look that not everyone enjoys. Also, some people just don't like bull-pup style replicas. They definitely take some getting used to.

Finally, there are definitely far more cosmetic parts available for the Armalite series than for the AUG.

I like the AUG myself. Other than occasional problems with the hi-cap magazines, the thing runs well, gives me a full-length barrel in a carbine-sized package, and allows me to fire semi or fully-automatic without changing a fire control lever. I use an Armalite more often, but that's mainly because the rest of my team uses mostly Armalites and we can share magazines if I use the same thing.

The AUG series aren't lemons, if that's what you are concerned about.

Blue Fox
09-08-2004, 07:14 PM
Ok sounds good. Im planning on adding a phantom kit to it to make it atleast a competitior to the sr25 or other armalite sniper kits.

AustinWolv
09-08-2004, 08:06 PM
One person's take on fixing the feed issue: http://www.airsoftplayers.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5780&SearchTerms=AUG

Katana
09-08-2004, 09:07 PM
I don't know why you'd be adding a phantom kit, Fox. It sounds like you're making a false assumption of some type. Out of the box, the AUG has the same length barrel as a full length Armalite rifle. 510mm. A Phantom kit might make it look wierd, though... if that's what you want.

If you want to increase accuracy, drop in a tightbore barrel, and keep it swabbed clean.

Blue Fox
09-08-2004, 10:02 PM
Thank you again. I am still considering the Phantom kit, I like the styling better and if I wanted to I could extend the inner barrel through the silencer. A good custom sniping job, probably should get experience with the gun first though.

Sam
09-08-2004, 10:56 PM
I had an aug for about 4 months. The pros, VERY sturdy, never broke on me, and just a very solid gun. Cons, some people don't like the trigger pull, it can get a little tough and takes getting used too. Also, some say it is fugly, i say it's unique. Other than that i liked it, i just had to sell it to buy a car/pay for insurance and ended up getting an armalite cuz of the modability (if thats even a word).

Phaedrus
11-30-2004, 03:34 PM
Apart from the fugly concern, I think the AUG is the best kept secret in airsoft. I have two and have had a minimum of problems. Some things to consider:

The hicap feeding problem has put me off using hicaps, so I prefer using stds.

AUGs are also much heavier than other AEGs, so depending upon your size and interest in lugging around a fair amount of weight, this may be an important consideration. Of course, many other AEGs simply feel like plastic toys to me (rather than quality replicas). You're welcome to check out mine if you like.

Regards,
Phaedrus.

id0l
12-01-2004, 04:13 PM
I don't think it's fugly at all. Personally I got the phantom kit for it among other things, and let me tell you - it is one sturdy and heavy gun. Too much for me (I'm 5'10" 150lbs) for I am selling it (it's been reserved for a local player so don't ask). I have upgraded it a ton and it has taken everything without fuss. Besides me stripping a piston tooth due to my shoddy shimming job the first time around.

The only problem I have found with the hi-caps is misfeeding, however I think this is more of the loading nozzles problem, because when I installed my metal nozzle everything was perfect, and hasn't misfed since.

Deep Fire metal loading nozzle (http://www.lonestarairsoft.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=625) - Phantom AUG (http://www.lonestarairsoft.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=622)

spetz
12-03-2004, 01:04 AM
I've had my AUG for about 3 months now, I like it. I'm going to get a metal nozzle though for it soon to deal with the misfeeds. Alsi I have been having some hopup issues as well. The guys here at DART who have AUGs all have the same problem with the AUG's shots curving to either the left or right. I am pretty sure it's just a problem with the bucking as I have lubed the barrel and such and it didn't so anything. Also the 15a fuse blew the other day, so I am going to go buy a 20a fuse for it. (I am using a 9.6 1800 mah battery, M120 spring)

Oh yea and it's Steyr...heh sorry I just had to point that out.

id0l
12-03-2004, 11:51 AM
A metal nozzle will eliminate your misfeeds completely. I recommend the Deep Fire one because that is what I got and it works well. :D

Also, I installed a metal hopup with guarder bucking, and my shots are as accurate as can be...of course the 550mm 6.03 barrel helps.

AUGs seem to be notorious for blowing fuses. I have blown 20A fuses when the battery discharges sometimes in the gun (when it's getting low, usually). I recommend a 20A fuse for anything pulling a M120 or equivalant...it seems to work well for me, and anything less and your going to be blowing fuses all the time (too much current being drawn from the battery). This is my experience however, others may differ.

I have attached some pics of my nozzle, hopup, and 20A automotive blade fuse I have installed in my AUG, and a sweet pic of my gun too. :D

AustinWolv
12-03-2004, 12:18 PM
This is my experience however, others may differ. Word. 15A fuses will do just fine even with M130 springs. M120 spring-powered setups shouldn't be blowing 15A fuses, unless someone is laying on the trigger at the very end of a dumping pack. Blowing fuses indicates excessive friction or a broken part somewhere in the system (like a tooth broke off a gear and wedged itself into the teeth of another gear, so the gears locked up).

Bstann
12-03-2004, 02:32 PM
I have four AUG's. I am a firm believer in ugly needing love also. Hehehe

I have found that proper magazine maintenance is key to using the HiCaps. Keeping them debris free and lubed is essential. I run 15 HiCaps now and don't have problems with any of them.

id0l
12-03-2004, 04:43 PM
Yeah, you either love the bullpup style or you hate it. Personally I think it's sweet. The only reason I'm selling my AUG is because I needed a smaller and lighter weapon, seeing as how the AUG is the heaviest (or one of the heaviest) AEGs, and not as maneuverable as say an MP5, P90 or G36C. But if you're a big guy it doesn't matter as much. Whatever fits your needs.

I don't know...my HiCaps were always kept very clean and lubed, but still had feeding issues. The metal nozzle solved any problem I had with it.

15 Hicaps? Damn. That's alot of ammo. 4,950 rounds! Hope you don't need all that ammo at once. :D

Bstann
12-03-2004, 05:18 PM
I went through 13 mags at the Mini OP in SA with my HI-BAR. But if you are using it for support you put down a lot of BB's.

Also My shorty AUG has an m4 length barrel but is smaller then G36C. Its very maneuverable.

spetz
12-05-2004, 07:48 PM
I am 5'8, 155 pounds and the AUG is a perfect size for me. But then again I like the SG1 and am getting an AK soon so maybe I'm not normal...eh anyways I found out the problem to my AUG, well partially anyways. Austinwolv knows about it too now as I have been discussing it with him alot. The fuse blew because something in the gearbox wether it be the gears, bushings, piston etc. I got a bigger fuse (20a) and I was firing it and it still wouldn't fire, I held the trigger down and I heard a popping sound from inside the gun. Turns out the motor fried, it's dead now. So I'm going to have to buy a new motor as well as find out what caused the motor to break in the first place. Hopefully it's a piston tooth break instead of a gear problem.

Trench_raider
12-12-2004, 04:00 PM
I used an AUG for about six months when I first got into the hobby. It served me well enough and all the positive things people have said about range, accuracy, and sturdiness are all true.

However I gave it up for more conventional styled guns because I found it to be an ergonomic nightmare. I had also heard bad things about AUG high-caps and so carried six standards. This required many magazine changes in the field. The bullpup design means that speedy magazine changes are simply out of the question. I once ran across a guy on the 'net who was in the Australian army and trained on real steel AUGs. He told me that the only way to get around this is by practicing changing magazines hundreds of times. Even then mag changes are going to be slower than a conventional style gun.

What finally clenched it for me was when I realised what it took to change a magazine while prone. To get it done one has to roll over on oe side on onto one's back. Even my Aussie corespondent told me that was the way they trained. This usually means taking your eye off the target. In fact during my last ever skirmish with the AUG this got me shot. I was engaging in a firefight with several tangos and had to roll over to do a mag change. When I was "hot" again I found that one of my targets had moved out of my line of sight. Within a few moments Obsidian had crept up behind me and shot me in the butt. :eek:

But all in all, if the slow magazine changes do not bother you, the AUG is a great gun.

"Trench Raider"