PDA

View Full Version : Quick change M series

Polaris
09-07-2004, 12:40 PM
Hey I was wondering if you could just switch out uppers on any M series rifle and make it a different type. What I mean is, could you turn a carbine into a rifle, or vice versa? You would only need the appropiate parts like inner barrel, cylinder, and what-not, right? I got the idea from a magazine I was reading.

Thanks,
Polaris

AustinWolv
09-07-2004, 12:55 PM
Yes, one of the Whiskey guys used to do that. He'd turn his M16A2 into a M4-length variant.

All you would need is the upper receiver assembly with front barrel assembly (inner barrel with hopup unit, handguards, front outer barrel, etc.)

This is, of course, assuming you are using the stock plastic upper and lower receiver.

Also, the cylinder is internal to the mechbox and thus not part of the "transformation".

Polaris
09-07-2004, 01:03 PM
So would you just keep the m16 cylinder in the body, or would that be bad?

AustinWolv
09-07-2004, 01:12 PM
Yes, just keep the A2 cylinder (called a Type0 cylinder) in the mechbox. It'll be fine with a M4-length barrel. Any velocity variation will be minimal.

Falcon
09-07-2004, 01:21 PM
I started out with an M16A2 and bought the parts to put an M4A1 barrel and grip assembly on it. I was able to go between a full sized rifle and a carbine by just swapping parts forward of the receiver. It's a fairly easy operation, as long as you had a complete inner/outter barrel (with hopup) and grip assembly. Swapping full uppers would be ideal, and take less time to switch (as long as the battery is in a full stock). Just keep in mind that only works as long as you are talking about the stock plastic bodies. Metal bodies do not take down like the original ones, and usually require a complete strip to get apart into upper and lower components.

The M16A2 cylinder is the largest cylinder by volume for a version 2 mechbox, so you're best bet is to start with the larger cylinder volume rather than a smaller cylinder volume. The extra air won't hurt anything, but not having enough will cause your bbs to lose velocity when they reach the end of the longer barrel.

Hope that answers your question ....

Polaris
09-07-2004, 01:40 PM
Thanks alot guys, I was pretty sure it would work.

Agrovale
09-07-2004, 05:59 PM
M4A1s, M16A2s, and another M? (that I can't think of off the top of my head) do not use the same nozzles as other armalite variants. Just something to be aware of.

AustinWolv
09-07-2004, 06:06 PM
The M4, SR16, and A2 all use similar parts (M733 too, I believe). It is the older M16 models (older as in TM released them some time ago initially) M16VN and CAR15 that are different. I may be forgetting a model or two in there.

These are of course in reference to TM products.

Arsenic
09-07-2004, 06:40 PM
It would be ALOT easier to do this with an ICS M4 since you could basicly keep a entire upper complete with upper gearbox. Then you wouldnt have to worry about cylinders, nozzles and stuff like that. Just my opinion though.