PDA

View Full Version : 12v Airsoft battery

Mack4
08-30-2004, 10:02 PM
I have a completely upgraded M16a2, Systema helicals, m120, reinforced gearbox, the works. If I wanted to put a 12v battery in the thing what are my options? I will be using this buttstock to house this battery; http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/buttstocks/16-01-02.asp
Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.
-Mack

Obsidian
08-30-2004, 10:28 PM
I would say your on your own since that is a pretty non standard stock.

Mack4
08-30-2004, 10:32 PM
I can't seem to find any stateside websites that carry a large 12 volt airsoft battery, does anyone know who might have one?
-Mack

Arsenic
08-30-2004, 11:50 PM
Just my opinion....but wouldnt a 12v battery be a little overkill for an M120? The highest battery I would go with would be a 10v. I would worry about the ROF and current being a little TOO high...thus wearing out parts faster.

Obsidian
08-31-2004, 12:25 AM
12v with helicals is daring in my opinion. One slip and the gears are gone.

Anyways back to the question. http://www.onlybatterypacks.com/items.asp?db=11 The real problem is what the inside of the stock looks like. There is no way any of us can help you unless you can post pics of the stock or by chance someone has one. Thats why I posted that you were probably on your own.

Mack4
08-31-2004, 04:59 PM
There is a guy in town who can do custom battery work, I may get him to rig me somthing. The Hook stock has 1 more inch of horizontal storage and I think 2 or 3 more inches of vertical storage in the "hook." Could I run a 10.8v in there with less possible "consequences?"
-Mack

Obsidian
08-31-2004, 05:02 PM
yup and you could run a 9.6 will less worry than with a 10.8. The problem is with a 10.8 or 12v battery the motor has enough voltage to overcome most of the snags in the mechbox. Those snags will usually keep you from having to replace a new set of gears. When the motor powers through stuff it chews up gears, pistons, tappets, etc.

Agrovale
08-31-2004, 07:38 PM
Are those helicals infinite torque ups, high speed or what? That will probably be the biggest factor.

Katana
08-31-2004, 10:35 PM
I would strongly advise considering Obsidian's advice on this matter. I've been running a butt-stock 12v for about a year now which has included dozens of skirmishes, and my experience bears out his comments. The only thing he didn't mention that I've encountered is that I once managed to melt all of the insulation off of the hot lead going between the battery and the motor. And the wisps of smoke that I've seen coming out of the pistol grip on occaision. And I've melted a motor, etc, etc.

10.8v is still quite high, and probably plenty of juice. If you need more cyclic than that, try using a cylinder with cut-outs in it.