PDA

View Full Version : RPK Requirements

Mack4
08-30-2004, 05:19 PM
A friend of mine wants to turn his AK47 into a RPK, He was thinking about only doing the Buttstock, bipod, and drum mag so that he could have a shorter barrel. Would he still be able to list is as a support weapon?

Also the same person wanted to know if the Colt LMG qualifies for the LMG status with TASO. http://www.securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/orig/m16a2lmg.htm
http://www2.netdoor.com/~mikemor/lmg.html
-Mack

AustinWolv
08-30-2004, 06:03 PM
Colt LMG doesn't count. HBAR variants of AUGs and M16s don't count. MG36 doesn't count.

As for a RPK, as long as it looks like a RPK, it counts. Typically that is done with the Guarder RPK kit or the AC kit (which is crap). Another avenue is parts from Trapper Industries. Also, the RPK has a longer barrel than the AK47, not a shorter one.

Slapping a drum mag on a gun does not qualify it as a support weapon.

Katana
08-30-2004, 06:03 PM
Currently, the only replicas that qualify for the 450fps support weapon rule and that suffer the additional restrictions on engagement range that go with it, are the M60, M249, and RPK. To be an RPK, it would have to have the stock, the barrel, and the bipod... IE: it would have to look like an RPK.

Dragon
08-30-2004, 06:10 PM
I would have to say NO to the AK (front end) Support Weapon.

If it wasn't mass produced and probably issued in numbers then forget trying to do it for TASO skirmishes.

If he wants to make a higher FPS replica and slap a drum mag on it and call it whatever he wants then go for it. Some local skirmishes might allow it's use but I seriously doubt it'll be useable at a TASO op.

If it was then EVERYONE would be going that route and then it would be not very realistic at the replica weapon level.

Mack4
08-30-2004, 06:13 PM
Roger that. Thanks for the quick reply I will pass the word on.
-Mack

chrisvalla
08-31-2004, 08:38 AM
MG36s don't count? Darn, I was gonna go for that with the extra long forestock, bipod, and C-mag as a back-up to the RPK. Well, that answers that... Sure I could still do it at 400, but for all the extra length and weight, why bother.

How about Smart-Gun replicas? Not that I could even afford the custom work that goes into one... just asking.

AustinWolv
08-31-2004, 08:53 AM
MG42 would more than likely count, if someone really felt like fielding one considering they'll run $1700 + the gas setup and ongoing cost associated with that. http://www.classicairsoft.net/articles/mg42/index.htm
MG34 would count.
MG36 doesn't count.
Turning it into a Smartgun would be just silly.

Sure I could still do it at 400, but for all the extra length and weight, why bother. Because it would still be a nice-looking replica, and it wouldn't add that much weight. Geez, like Airsoft guns are heavy at all.

Other than that, M60, M249, and RPK are the only options currently available. You should read the TASO rules, which explicitly state that.

Obsidian
08-31-2004, 09:47 AM
FYI....this is the whole point of the texasairsoft.org site. Once we get some of the little details finalized questions like this need to be brought up and voted on by the masses. Support weapon definiations have been a growing issue down here. My personal take on the matter is that it is a support weapon if it is a recognized replica or Kit. So since they make RPK kits they are but do not as of yet make a MG36 Kit the rpk is in and MG36 is out. That is the ruling I have been using when people ask for the Ops that I run. In anycase hopefully we will get a better decision on that when TASO really gets rolling.

Mack4
08-31-2004, 04:54 PM
Well I am glad you guys are trying to keep a handle on all this, even if it means we can't do cheap support gun conversions.
-Mack

chrisvalla
09-01-2004, 09:29 AM
By what I've been reading (and infer from the fact that 400+ FPS does not make an AEG a support weapon), the exterior 'kit' determines the engagement range. So, even if the RPK is nothing more than a kit placed on a chrono'd 400fps AK, it's treated at a 450FPS support weapon with the 40 foot rule, correct?

Katana
09-01-2004, 10:07 AM
Nopers... You only have to obey the minimum engagement distance, if you are operating at the allowed increased velocity. You are only allowed to operate at the increased velocity, if you meet the requirements. For Support Weapons, the requirements are that it is an M60, an M249, or an RPK. For sniper weapons, the requirements for their increased velocities under the sniper weapon rule are that it's semi-auto-ONLY or otherwise single-shot, and that the player also carries a normally powered airsoft replica as backup.

At the most recent Op in Austin, I did not have to observe the special minimum engagement rule for support weapons, because the M249 that I was running only shot at 370 or so with 0.2g bb's. If it were firing at between 401fps and 450fps, it would have been alright because it is an M249, but I would have also had to observe the minimum engagement distances and not engaged close-in targets.

chrisvalla
09-01-2004, 01:28 PM
I just don't want someone crying foul because they see an RPK and 'know' I was closer than 40 feet if it's only shooting at 370-390. Incidently, that's how I went this past OP as well; my 450 mechbox is out of action indefinitely, so I switched out the RPK foregrip/bipod with the AK one and used my 400 mechbox (though I kept the AK stock and 8.4 battery).

Katana
09-01-2004, 01:34 PM
Somebody might indeed cry foul, but after doing so they'd need to be informed that you're not shooting a high-powered support weapon.

We'd just have to deal with it and move on.

I suppose we could use multi-color stickers to designate velocity if we felt we needed to be ready for this contingency, but it's never been a problem before.