PDA

View Full Version : What side to clamp a laser/light on?

Trench_raider
08-26-2004, 07:12 PM
I just picked up a cheap laser sight to install on the G3 SAS. I admit this is more to enhance the "CQB" look of the weapon than actual utility in the field. Anyway, said gun has a pair of side rails on the fore-grip. (I'm using the bottom rail for a vertical grip) Now I'm torn as to which side to mount the laser on. What do you think?

My first impulse is to mount it on the right side. I'm right handed, and it seem that in this position it would be less likely to snag on something while shooting from around cover. Of course if I get stupid and attach a tac-light to the other side, as I have been thinking about, this will negate that precaution.

Thoughts?

"Trench Raider"

Dragon
08-26-2004, 08:20 PM
If you attach 2 light systems then the point is moot. If you don't then the right side is correct.

Agrovale
08-26-2004, 08:40 PM
I agree. Right side - since you are right handed it will be more out of your field of vision on the right.

If you have two, mount the smaller profiled device on the left rail.

AustinWolv
08-26-2004, 08:50 PM
Conversely, mount them both on the right. You could stagger them in height so that the one mounted towards the rear of the weapon sits higher than the front one.

That is what I did with my SR16.....the visible laser is mounted above and behind the IR laser.

I prefer the right side for the reasons the others mentioned above (I am right-handed).

DoctorNo
08-27-2004, 12:09 PM
Right side is better for righties - it doesn't bang against your body when it is slung up, won't snag on clothes - and if you have a thumb-activated switch, it's accessible while you hold the pistol grip.

Doc