PDA

View Full Version : m23 "Pioneer" vest?

Trench_raider
08-21-2004, 04:34 PM
I have been kicking around the idea of dumping my clunky old LBE set for a chest pouch. I suppose I could go with a vest of some sort, but I seriousy doubt i could find one that would comfortably fit my fat butt. As a casual player, I really don't want to spend more than about 150-175$. I have been looking at some of the low cost Russian vests an rather like the look of the M23 "Pioneer" model.
http://www.redsoldier.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=85

This is an AK vest, and one of my guns is indeed an AK. However, I suspect that other magazines would fit to some extent.

How does this model look to you? The price is certainly right. Does anyone know of any other decent chest pouches in my price range that will expand out large enough to fit me?

I'll hold off on ordering one of these until I get a couple of opinions.

"Trench Raider"

nschrein
08-21-2004, 07:19 PM
LBT makes a good AK chest rig:

http://www.lightfighter.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=446
http://www.lightfighter.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=435
And so does Eagle:

http://www.lightfighter.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=918

I've always been a fan of LBT gear and Eagle gear is built very well too.

Trench_raider
08-22-2004, 08:20 AM
I have not taken the plunge yet, but this is looking like more and more of a deal. I stumbled across a discount code for this product that will drop the price to 54$ before shipping. (it was/is a deal for AKM network members, but the discount code seems to work when I enter it) :D

At that price, even if the rig turns out to be a complete dog I really can't go wrong.

I'll decide very soon. I'll add the product and review it if I decide to pick it up.

"Trench Raider"

AustinWolv
08-22-2004, 08:56 AM
Other mags would definitely fit in those pouches, but since they are shorter, they may be hard to grab. Just a thought. Other than that, I know nothing of the rig you linked.

I know there are some AK chest rigs on Ebay for pretty cheap too, but I don't have an idea on make or originating manuf on those.

Sorry.

nschrein
08-22-2004, 01:47 PM
Well if you buy it and don't like it, you can always sell it on Ebay.

Trench_raider
08-22-2004, 03:07 PM
This is true.

I just placed the order for it. We shall see I suppose.

"Trench Raider"

Trench_raider
09-04-2004, 04:06 PM
M23 "pioneer" vest update.

Back when I created this thread, I stated that I would get back to you all once I actually got the product in hand. Well it arrived last week and I have had a few days to play with it. Here is what I have concluded.

First off, hats off to Red Soldier. Despite a slight snafu regarding paying via paypal, they sent the vest out quickly and I had it within a week of my payment clearing. (I used a paypal "echeck") I found their customer service folks to be extremely friendly and easy to deal with. I would not hesitate to buy from them again!

Anyway, the vest seems to be well made of nylon and webbing. The stitching seems to be solid and looks like it will hold up to hard use. My vest is in a Russian version of "woodland" camo, but it also comes in olive drab as well. The four magazine pouches each hold two AK mags without trouble. M16/M4 and G3 mags also fit nicely. The pouches are shallow enough to easily reach these shorter magazines without having to fumble for them. (however, not suprisingly, the same cannot be said for my short M16vn mags) all the pouches are secured with both snaps and velcro. Each side of the vest has a number of grenade pouches that could be used for any number of other things as well as a knife/bayonet pouch.

The back side of the vest has a illustrated panel showing how to adjust the vest. However it is in Russian! :eek: Not to worry, though. the operation of the vest is simple enough for even a technically challenged stump like me to figure it out in short order. I was very pleased to see that the vest would adjust out to a truly monster size. In this case the label "one size fits all" turned out to be very true. This thing will fit any of the "big boys" who play quite nicely. The smaller players might have to trim the ends of the straps to keep them from flapping.

Properly adjusted, it seems to ride very well, with little or no flopping about. This seems to be the case even when fully loaded. (I loaded it up with some of my real steel AK mags and some other various crap to simulate a full load) Also, the bottom straps that connect to a pistol belt are ajustable and fit a US issue belt with no troubles.

On the down side, unlike many other vests, the shoulder straps are not padded and are extremely stiff, being made up of several layers of webbing. However they are pretty wide, so I doubt they would cut into your shoulders too much. I suppose one could figure a way to add some sort of padding or even replace out these straps if that became a problem. Also, the vest is fastened by heavy plastic clips very similar to the current issue US pistol belt. These take some effort to unfasten. It's probably just me, but I would have preferred buckles.

All in all, I am pleased with the purchase. At it's fairly low price of $79.95 (I'm assuming the discount code I used will not last forever) from Red Soldier I would recommend this to any airsoft player on a budget looking for a chest rig.

Note the above review is based upon simple examination of the product and messing with it around the house. I will be wearing this item at the next skirmish I attend. If some issue comes up under actual use, I will amend this.

"Trench Raider"

stalker
09-05-2004, 10:58 PM
look for swat tactacal vests i got one for around 60$ dose very good

AustinWolv
09-05-2004, 11:26 PM
He doesn't want a SWAT vest. Did you not read the thread? Next time, don't respond if you don't have anything of value to offer.

Trench, hope it serves you well the next time you hit the field.