PDA

View Full Version : ICOM/OTTO Headset Problem

Bear
08-16-2004, 08:48 PM
Not sure which forum to put this in, so mods please feel free to move if necessary.

This question is directed towards anyone who knows more about radios and has more technical experience with electronics than I do.

I have recently purchased an OTTO Industries Breeze headset for my ICOM IC-F4S radio. The headset comes with an inline push-to-talk. When plugged into my radio (which has a two prong jack, headset has a two prong Y-type connector) the headset does not function when the PTT is depressed. Also, when the radio PTT is depressed the headset will either work temporarily or not work at all. Sometimes I will hear the mike key but no sound will come through.

I've heard that it could be the headset, but when I've used other headsets with the same jack configuration they would not work either. The only thing that has worked so far has been an ICOM speaker mike that I got with the radio. Is it possible that the radio connections are somehow damaged and/or worn down? It is a slightly older model so that might make sense.

Please, any input is welcome.

HammerHead
08-16-2004, 09:08 PM
Was the headset specifically configured for use with an ICOM radio? I believe there's some difference in the circuitry for some of the headsets. For example, when we placed Dragon's Otto Breeze/PTT Headset for a Kenwood radio on either of my ICOM radios, yesterday, the PTT didn't operate. However, the headset works fairly well (somewhat spotty) on the Kenwood radio he supplied. Likewise, we've had problems with the Otto bent connector headset we got from you several months ago, both on ICOM and Motorola radios. But we haven't tried it on the Kenwood.

Given that the Kenwood pinout is the same as the ICOM pinout, but many sites differentiate between the two in their headset configurations, I believe this is the problem you have encountered.

AustinWolv
08-16-2004, 10:19 PM
Correct, different radios have different pinouts, and furthermore, even a headset that may by chance have the same pinout may have impedance differences that cause less than optimal transmit/receive issues. What you describe is similar to a cheapie headset I had many, many moons ago that I tried to use with a Kenwood, knowing full well the pinouts weren't the same. It would "work", but not the way it should have.

Assuming the case is that you didn't specifically get that Otto headset for the ICOM, that is most likely the issue.

For real radio help, drop 3par a line. He can be found on airsoftplayers' and Lightfighter's forums.

HammerHead
08-16-2004, 11:45 PM
...same pinout may have impedance differences ...

Thanks, Wolv! I've been trying to figure out what the heck the difference would be so I could describe it in inquiries or future feedback.

Bear
08-17-2004, 12:32 AM
I know for a fact that the headset was specifically for an ICOM IC-F4S. Checked it twice before I ordered.;)

HammerHead
08-17-2004, 01:32 AM
Could be the connector on your radio, although your SM worked... I know it won't solve the problem for you before the Op, but we could try it out on both of my ICOMs Saturday and see if it works.

Bear
08-17-2004, 01:40 AM
HH, would be much obliged. If it's the headset I'll get my money back.