PDA

View Full Version : Poison Ivy

Mack4
08-13-2004, 12:26 AM
I took a harmless stroll through the woods behind my house a couple days ago, now half my face is coverd in that awful, dreadful, mother lovin' Poison Ivy! I am one of 85% of the population who is allergic to this reaction and for some reason I usually get it on my face... Anyways I was despertley searching the internet for help when I stumbled across this; http://www.sumactin.com/#h sounds good, I will be ordering a gross of this stuff ASAP, I'll let you guys know how it works. Now on to business, you can buy Pre-contact swabs that you put on your hands, face, rear, ect to keep it from being infected, these seem to work to my satisfaction (I have never gotten P.I. after applying one.) Also watch out for chiggers, redbugs, ticks ect... Orvis and Exfocilio offer a product called "bug-off" which is basically insect repelant clothing (I am still waiting for the underwear version) I can vouch for this stuff as well. Mkae sure to hit your sleeves, ankles, socks and general body and I usually shoot some "down below" to keep them nasty little varmits off of- well myself. Anyways during the summer and spring watch out, spray up and be prepared.
-Mack

Dark
08-13-2004, 01:08 AM
A few of my own tips, after playing for a year on a field covered in the stuff:

As soon as you get back from the field, bath using a strong soap, like laundry detergent or dish soap. Sounds goofy. Works well.

If you do get a rash, treat is as soon as it appears. I use a product called Zanfel. It is rather expensive, costing $40 per tube, but it is all I have found that will get rid of the rash. I usually have to use it several times before it takes effect however. Haven't tried the product Mack refers to above.

Make sure to use something to get the oil out of your clothes. I wash my stuff on hot, and use a product called tecnu on it to help get rid of the junk.

Peashooter
08-13-2004, 11:41 AM
I am also highly allergic to poison ivy. One thing I have found that helps is Tecnu. Bath with this after coming in contact with poison plants. This breaks up the oils that cause the rash and greatly reduces the size and the duration of the outbreak. It comes in a white bottle and can be purchased at pretty much any drug store or out door store.

cclark1985
08-13-2004, 11:42 AM
You could also try tea tree oil. That's some good stuff.

Dragon
08-13-2004, 11:45 AM
I'm SOoooo glad I don't have any problems with Poison Ivy.

lost_soul
08-16-2004, 03:57 PM
Dawn, dishwasher soap needs to be able to break down oils

Agrovale
08-16-2004, 04:43 PM
Dawn is good stuff. When I had a car that I liked I would use Dawn to strip all the old wax and polish off. It is one of the best degreasers out there. :)