PDA

View Full Version : Are Sniper Rifles worth the buy?

augman
08-12-2004, 07:27 PM
Hi,
I have been looking into some sniper rifles.
I seen many that offer the 550fps upgrade or further to 700 fps.
I know that 550 fps is the top speed for all airsoft games.
I want to know if that extra 150 feet per second over an AEG is worth the buy.

MEANING....
Can you be an effective - long- rang sniper with a sniper rifle at 550fps strength.
ALSO....
If anyone has used a sniper rifle can you tell me the -effective- distances and with what BB size.

Thank you.

MeanGreen
08-12-2004, 09:37 PM
I think it is totally worth it and I and some of my buddies have proved it time and again. It does help to get the FPS upgrade but more important then that I personally believe is the barrel. Get a nice barrel, get good FPS going, and use .36 or .43 BBs and you will be rockin'.

If you are new though I suggest using an AEG to start out with because it is a lot easier to know and love the game staring like this.

Mack4
08-12-2004, 10:01 PM
Seems like we discuss this topic, like say once a week?
I personally would shell out the big bucks fro a semi-auto sniper rifle, a M16 or G3 variant.
-Mack

matt05CQB
08-12-2004, 10:17 PM
Bah, I swear I have answered this question 3 times in the last 2 days. However, he is asking a bit of a different question so he gets a bit of a different answer. If you are just starting out, it is in no way a good investment... start with an AEG and maybe borrow someones sniper rifle and see if you like it. However, if you aren't just starting out and have some experience and you really think you can work the sniper rifle well... go for it. But like real steel sniper rifles, you need power and what Mean Green said would be a good start. Like Mack said though, investing in a semi-auto sniper would be more efficient but I personally am not in favor of that just because I am a bolt action fan. As a new sniper, you may be better off with a M16 converted to a sniper rifle. My sniper experience is not bad (as saying I can shoot them with good accuracy but never really persued it), but Mean Green is probably the resident sniper here and just do what he says. :p

Katana
08-12-2004, 10:38 PM
The following is my opinion. I like to think it means something given all my experience, but it's still just an opinion, so add it to the pile.

Are sniper rifles worth the buy? Not only no, but hell no. So many people get all worked up over that additional 150fps. It only gains you around 10 yards of accurate fire and perhaps another 10 - 20 yards of effective fire, but it slams you (via the rules) with a 33 yard NO-SHOOT zone (which we should probably being enforcing even more strongly than we already do). This isn't a recommended, 'please don't shoot anyone within 33-yards' suggestion, but a "we'll yell at you if we catch you doing it, and we'll send you home if we catch you doing it twice" type situation. Also, there are no justifications allowed for engaging someone within that distance. If someone knows you are a sniper and runs flat-out toward you and you shoot him with that rifle within the 33-yard distance, it's your fault, not his. That's why we require people using 550 fps sniper rifles to carry normal-velocity replicas as well, whether they be AEG rifles or GBB blowback pistols, or what have you. That no-shoot distance is one heck of a long way. Think about it. 33 yards. That's about the accurate range of a normally-powered AEG.

Another huge problem is that when it comes to hitting targets that are a ways out there, 550fps is pretty slow. It will take a bb a couple of seconds to fly that far. It might not sound like a long time, but count off: one-thousand one... one-thousand two... Unless someone is running straight toward or away from you, or is sitting on their butt, or is prone or in some other position that will keep them relatively static, you probably aren't going to hit. Someone just has to move a foot or so left or right and you've missed. Hitting a gopher-style target that pops-up, takes a shot, and then ducks becomes mostly luck and anticipation.

In addition, since a airsoft sniper rifle firing at the upgraded velocity is required to be single-shot or semi-only, only a single bb will hit the target. Out beyond 33 yards and the no-shoot zone, that bb has lost much of it's energy and hits a target at about the same power as any other airsoft replica. Occaisionally, people don't feel a single bb hit. It might impact their gear, or a piece of equipment, or a thick area where clothing is layered, or the person might be jazzed on adrenaline, or they might be running through brush and ripping through all kinds of foilage, etc. A person is far more likely to notice a burst of bb's hitting them, and their equipment, and the ground around them, and whizzing past them.

About the only time I see an actual use for sniper rifles in airsoft are on larger, more open fields, where the the game has gone mostly static and people are either leaving themselves exposed outside of cover, or are actually standing around in the rear area. Generally, these people have become fairly confident about how far a airsoft replica can throw a bb and are basically disrespecting the other team somewhat, and a properly handled airsoft sniper rifle can teach them a bit of a lesson. This would mean a person firing heavier bb's that soak up much of the extra power but which fly much straighter in any kind of breeze, allowing for increased accuracy at distance over a normal AEG.

In the vast majority of situations, an AEG fired on semi can accomplish all the feats that a sniper rifle can accomplish, and yet also allow you switch the fire-selector over to 'auto' and fire bursts, and mow down a group of people, or suppress and area to help your team advance under your covering fire, etc. A select-fire AEG will allow you to ambush, to plink and conserve ammo, and to assault. It's versatile. You can alter your tactics from one day to the next, and the select-fire AEG will always fit the bill.

Compared to all that versatility, a sniper rifle just costs way too much for what it does. A normal AEG can do most of that, and lots more. Due to the implementation of the rules restricting usage of high-velocity airsoft guns and the relative equality of all airsoft replicas, the minor niche that the sniper rifle fills doesn't justify it's expense.

That's just my opinion. I tried it. I wanted to like it. I dumped giga-bucks in a fully tricked out PSG-1, and in the end, it just wasn't worth it. Half of that was due to my personal play style which is rather aggressive, and the other half is due to how de-fanged the sniper rifles are relative to other airsoft replicas when compared their their real-world counterparts.

Anyhow, good luck with whatever you decide.

EDIT: You asked for some numbers. With 0.36 'accurized' STRAIGHT bb's, I was able to manage around a 3" group at around 60 yards, give or take. That was while waiting for stillness in the wind before shooting, and cleaning the barrel. A clean, high-quality, long-ish tight-bore barrel shooting quality bb's is where your accuracy comes from, be it a normal AEG, GBB, or heavily-upgraded sniper rifle.

AustinWolv
08-12-2004, 11:07 PM
This question has been addressed several times recently. Katana did a stellar job answering under his experience, as did others. I tend to side more towards Katana's opinion, but that is up to the individual to decide their take on the role. Good luck.

Since this question has been answered in other posts as well, this thread is closed.