PDA

View Full Version : Battery question

cclark1985
07-03-2003, 05:27 PM
If you plug a battery into a battery, will the lesser-charged one be charged? Or will this just destroy the batterys?

AustinWolv
07-03-2003, 06:13 PM
Hehe, that's an interesting question.....and I'm somewhat afraid as to why you want to do that with AEG battery packs. ;)

I'm no electrical expert, but I think it would be ok as long as you have the polarities matched. The battery that has the greater charge will transfer some of that charge over to the "dead" battery, until they both have the same charge.

I could be dead wrong here, but I imagine it is much like when you connect up a dead car battery to a known good car battery. If you wait a few minutes with both cars not running, the car with the dead battery will acquire a little bit of charge. Perhaps not enough to start the dead car, but some.

Heh, ask cmattp on these boards....he works at BatteriesPlus and knows more about electronics than I do probably. :)

cclark1985
07-03-2003, 06:15 PM
:) alright

I just thought I'd ask, because I was curious, heh.

Kyle
07-04-2003, 01:52 AM
As long as we're on the topic of weird battery tricks; on onlybatterypacks.com the have a special tamiya connector that works as a "splitter" to charge two batteries at once. Couldn't you just use it to run two batteries at once. I know, "Why would you wanna do that?" but hey, its interesting.;)

AustinWolv
07-04-2003, 09:23 AM
I personally have not seen that product, but something doesn't seem safe about using a good, quality charger and trying to charge two packs at the same time. Why? Because the charger circuitry is trying to monitor a battery pack as it charges, so it "knows" when to stop charging. How does it measure two packs? Perhaps an electrical guy can answer that, but I cannot. :)

As for running two packs at once, I think that would put them in series which would be rather bad, as you're basically adding the two voltages together versus running them in parallel where the voltage level stays the same as the two packs, but you can the capacity increase.

In other words:
In series: with two 8.4v 2000mAh packs -> 16.8v 2000mAh......probably not real good for your AEG. ;)
In parallel: with two 8.4v 2000mAh packs -> 8.4v 4000mAh

Hope that was clear, and hopefully I covered that correctly. :)

Kyle
07-04-2003, 01:59 PM
I know it would probably damage your gun. I was in no means planning on doing it, as Chris probably wasn't planning on plugging two batteries together. It was just a mere thought in my mind. But I have yet another battery trick that sounds interesting. I wonder if it's possible to make two battery packs; one consisting of a normal battery (for example 9.6V 1700mah mini batt.), the other of just mah storing cells. I have an M4 so I will use that as an example. You keep the normal battery in your foregrip. The other "mah-only" battery could go in the collapable stock tube and run through the hole in the back of the gearbox. The two seperate packs meet and you have a 9.6V battery with 1700+X mah.

AustinWolv
07-04-2003, 06:19 PM
Sure, as long as they are wired in parallel.

Some companies are doing something slightly along the lines to what you refer: http://www.boomarms.com/crane_preorder/index.html

Kyle
07-04-2003, 07:12 PM
Yea, I've seen that. That stock is rather bulky though and costly. My idea uses both the stock tube and the foregrip for storing the batteries. I am still wondering if it is even possible to make an mah-only pack.

In my idea the batteries would wire together in the gearbox.

mcoupe11
07-04-2003, 11:09 PM
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something, but what exactly are "mah-only" cells?

Kyle
07-05-2003, 01:22 AM
You're not misunderstanding anything because I'm not sure if they even exist.;) If they did, they would be cells that did not carry a charge but only contributed to the mah capacity of the battery.

mcoupe11
07-05-2003, 02:26 AM
A cell that carries no charge cannot produce current because current is the movement of charge. A cell that cannot produce current cannot possibly contribute to the capacity of a battery. A source of current must have a voltage associated with it. Simply put, the "mah-only" cell is a physical impossibility.

Grant
05-01-2004, 08:10 PM
My Science teacher says that connecting batteries can damage them, but i do not know if that true.

AustinWolv
05-01-2004, 08:21 PM
Yes, crossing the positive and negative ends of a battery is a bad thing. However, connecting a battery correctly to a device is perfectly fine.

In the future, please think before you post.