PDA

View Full Version : User Reviews Issue

Dozer
07-20-2004, 04:06 PM
I was just writing to mention an issue I have with the USER REVIEWS.

More than 80% of the USER "REVIEWS" aren't reviews at all, but rather a very bland description of an item. No detail, no real information. Instead, one gets a two-three word description of the item and a picture.

In truth, I can get that from any website and I think it clusters the heck out of the USER REVIEW section. It makes it amazingly difficult to find any usable reviews on products when you have to shuffle through 80 BLACKHAWK vests to find the 1 vest with a review.

I suggest that you look into creating TWO sections:
(Section 1) AIRSOFT PRODUCTS
&
(Section 2) USER REVIEWS

The airsoft products section would house all those two line products with no reviews, while the USER REVIEWS focus on the items with a true review. Also, I think it might be worthwhile to look over reviews - as a lot of them are nothing more then "Yes, it is cool"-type of reviews.

Just my .02.

Dozer.

skitelluride531
07-20-2004, 04:14 PM
I am guessing you are talking about the "description" part when you are submitting a product. The description part when you are submitting a review was not meant to be the actual review. I believe the purpose of the user reviews was to submit products so people could go back through and submit a review on that particular product.

AustinWolv
07-20-2004, 04:41 PM
The User Review section is a database of as many products as possible that allows people to be as descriptive or not as descriptive as they want. They are not full-blown reviews, like you see in the Site Reviews section. The User Review section is meant for any user to come in, write a quick (or long, as some of them are) review and rate a product. While a byproduct is to get good info on a product, the main objective is to get a large sample of people that have experience with the product to respond and therefore get a rating for that product.

The majority of the items in the User Review section don't have any comments/reviews on them yet, as this feature just came to exist within the last two months or so. Time will help fill it out more completely and provide better information, which we encourage all users of the site to do. Those items that you are seeing that just have descriptions and a bland picture are items that nobody has taken the time to post a review on yet. Like I said, over time, more users will fill out reviews/comments on products hopefully.

Obsidian
07-20-2004, 04:48 PM
Its still a work in progress..... the initial goal was to get all of the products in there to build a database of all airsoft related items. Now that that is done I am working on step 2. My problem is time and money....there is only 1 of me and I have to work to make money for the site to run so its a bit of a catch 22. The contest we just finished saved about 6 months of work. The biggest thing about the user reviews is that it is by the users and for the users. Users have to get in there and participate otherwise it will not be worth a damn. The number of reviews in there has grown signifigantly since we started it due to you and other people posting reviews.

If your looking for a specific product there is a search feature.

Dozer
07-21-2004, 08:26 AM
I'm not looking for an item. I am just thinking about it from a user standpoint. The idea of having an area with 1,000s of products is great - but it is also IO (or information overload).

Which is why I am suggesting two sections. You lose none of the information - and the reviews become just that - reviews.

The reviews get buried under the pile of empties.

Basically, what you have created is AMAZON.COM without the feature to buy. The users may or may not review a particular product ...

D.

Obsidian
07-21-2004, 09:31 AM
I see what your saying but I have to go back to my first statment: Its still a work in progress. At this point even the buttons for the various functions do not match the rest of the theme. There is alot of work yet to be done before its finished.

AustinWolv
07-21-2004, 10:35 AM
I'm not looking for an item. I am just thinking about it from a user standpoint. The idea of having an area with 1,000s of products is great - but it is also IO (or information overload).

Which is why I am suggesting two sections. You lose none of the information - and the reviews become just that - reviews.

The reviews get buried under the pile of empties.

Basically, what you have created is AMAZON.COM without the feature to buy. The users may or may not review a particular product ...

D.
Dozer, good comments.

However, to play devil's advocate, amazon.com has small user reviews/comments/writeups that I've found very useful when researching products prior to buying. :cool:

Dozer
07-21-2004, 10:41 AM
Okay, I was just trying to add to the source in order to make it more efficient.

As for AMAZON.COM - that is why I mentioned it. But, the difference is - you are polling a HUGE majority of people rather then a limited segment of society that plays airsoft when you look for reviews. Thus, most items have been used and people have opinions ... I just don't see that happening to the vast majority of items in the USER REVIEW section. There is too much product and too few users.

D.

Obsidian
07-21-2004, 11:13 AM
At the moment yes.....This site is growing exponentially though. Last year we were good to get 10 members in a month. Now we can get that in a couple days. I would estimate that by this time next year we will be in the 2000 to 2500 member range. When we get to that point the user reviews will fill themselves out rather quickly.

Bstann
07-21-2004, 02:44 PM
A lot of us have used products in the user reviews. It is just hard right now to be able to get in and write the reviews.
Given time I feel that this site will be a very useful asset for airsoft, even more so then it already is. Obs and Agro have put a lot of time and effort into making this one of the best, if not the best airsoft sites available.
I know they appreciate the efforts that everyone puts into this site.