PDA

View Full Version : Need some help(who dosen't?)

Polaris
07-17-2004, 12:54 PM
I was wondering if the aluminum piston heads would damage my gun. They say that they are suppose the make your gun louder, and that's what I want.
Call me stupid but I'm not going to be using full auto so I wanted a semi-loud gun. Oh and I also want to get rid of the gap between trigger pull and the bb leaving the barrel. If anyone can help please do.

Thanks,
Silent_knight

Agrovale
07-17-2004, 01:47 PM
I haven't seen an aluminum piston head damage a gun yet. All of mine are equipped with aluminum pistons (at least the ones that don't have bore up kits). I also haven't seen any proof yet on other sites that they do.

All you can do as far as delay of BB leaving the barrel is up your battery voltage, put in some high speed gears, or upgrade the motor. Any of these will shorten the life of your mechbox to some degree. Or you could get a PSG1. :)

kestrel
07-17-2004, 01:49 PM
Oh and I also want to get rid of the gap between trigger pull and the bb leaving the barrel. If anyone can help please do.

That, as far as I know wont be so easy, it would require something to the effect of a psg1 gearbox. The psg1 operates with is spring pre-compressed so that when you pull the trigger it fires throwing the spring forward and then pulls it back for the next shot. All other AEGs operate with the spring de-compressed, so, when you pull the trigger the spring gets pulled back, then flys forward thus creating the lag time.

EDIT: I see agrovale answered before i did

Polaris
07-17-2004, 06:28 PM
Is there any brand you recommend for the gears?

thejackal69
07-17-2004, 08:20 PM
One problem with High Speed Gears= You cannot use them with an upgraded (400 fps) spring. You may want to just up your battery voltage if that is a viable option.

Obsidian
07-18-2004, 11:12 PM
I haven't seen an aluminum piston damage a gun yet. ....

You mean Piston Head right? Speaking of aluminum pistons I have dumped all of those that I used. I think that they had a bad batch of them or something. I lost 2 sets of gears in my AK to 1 aluminum piston. The 2nd set was pretty easy to identify because the tooth from the gear was stuck in between the teeth of the piston. It seemed like the speaking on the piston teeth was wrong or something to that effect.

Anyways....piston heads. I use aluminum piston heads in all my guns. Much more efficient than the stock versions.

Agrovale
07-19-2004, 10:22 AM
Yes, I meant piston head.

Polaris
07-19-2004, 03:51 PM
Hey guys thanks for the help so far, I pulled up some upgrades for my SR-16 and was wondering if they were ok.If you have any comments, negative, or positive please let me know.I trust ya'lls opinions.

KingArms EG Spring Guide for Ver II Gear Box
Systema Taper Spring M100
Systema New Hop-Up Packing
Systema Radial Ball Bearing
KingArms Metal Piston Head with Bearing
Systema Air Seal Nozzle for M16-A2/M4
Systema BS Precision Barrel for XM, M4A1, SG551

Oh and I am going to let someone install these for me. If there is anything I missed please let me know.

thanks,
silent knight

Oh and what is the difference between a m120s and a m120?

Agrovale
07-19-2004, 04:40 PM
Looks fine to me for a high speed set up. Let us know what you think of the King Arms stuff, I don't think anyone has any first hand experience with it yet. I probably would skip the switch assembly unless yours is broken, but that's just me...

As far as the springs M120 is an oil tempered material, and M120S is stainless supposedly. It is getting hard to find the plain old M120, which is fine, because I have had those break on me. I haven't seen any broken M120Ss yet though.

Polaris
07-19-2004, 05:29 PM
Thanks for your help, I have another question, what kind of piston should I get?

thejackal69
07-19-2004, 08:02 PM
As far as I know, alot of these parts are nice, but not really necessary. Your stock gearbox parts will do fine with an m120 (except bushings, you need metal bushings) until they wear out. An m100 should be no trick at all.

Polaris
07-20-2004, 04:54 PM
I bought this gun used so I don't know what's about to wear out. Also, would the polycarbonate piston be a good choice?

skitelluride531
07-20-2004, 06:01 PM
Polycarbonate Pistons are fine. I've used them in all the guns I've owned and have never had one strip.

AustinWolv
07-20-2004, 06:08 PM
I've stripped polycarb pistons before. However, I'd rather kill one of those ~$20 (less or more depending on the one you get) than a ~$50 gearset (if not even more).

Polaris
07-20-2004, 07:28 PM
Hey Agro what name-brand of piston heads do you use? Sorry for all of the questions but I wanna do it right.

Agrovale
07-20-2004, 11:43 PM
I tend to stick with the Systema stuff as most of it is tried and true. I have a Prometheus one that looks good, but I haven't used it in anything yet. I would go polycarbonate for the piston too. I haven't really used any pistons yet, because the stock ones seem to hold up well.

A stock SR-16 mechbox will eventually fail with an M120 spring. I have gone through 2 so far, and have seen several other M4 type mechboxes fail. The Classic Army and Systema mechboxes are more sturdy. Yours should last a while with only an M100 though.

Polaris
07-21-2004, 11:12 AM
Haha! I started a 2-page thread....anyways, thanks for all of your help.

Obsidian
07-21-2004, 11:17 AM
I have had better luck with stock pistons than any of the other types. I have lost many gear sets to aluminum pistons so they will never touch my guns again. The polycarbonate ones are not too bad....they tend to run for quite a while and then suffer some catastrophic breakdown. The stock ones run for a while as well. They generally give away by loosing a tooth to the gears. I stick with them because I would prefer that the piston just wear down as opposed to break up which is what happens to most of the polycarb versions that I have used.

Polaris
07-21-2004, 02:35 PM
Ok, here's what i have now:
Systema Metal Hop-Up Unit Set
Systema Bass 6.04mm Barrel For M4A1
Systema Oiless Metal Bushing
Systema Hop Bucking
Systema Shims
Systema Air Seal Nozzle For Marui M16A2 & M4A1
Systema Aluminium Piston Head with Bearing
Systema Spring Guide with Bearing
Systema Teflon Taper Spring M100
Classic Army Reinforced Metal Gear Box Case V2

I think this covers everything.

Obsidian
07-21-2004, 03:08 PM
Why an M100? You will need a M120 to really be effective against most other Texas Players. A M100 will put you at roughly the same velocity as a stock spring.

Dragon
07-21-2004, 03:53 PM
I thought he was going High Speed? M120 not very High Speed-esk...

Agrovale
07-21-2004, 04:07 PM
I would get a KM TN barrel instead of a Systema one. I prefer those over Systema, they seem to get less dirty for some reason. :) You will be fine with your stock mechbox running an M100, no need to upgrade.

thejackal69
07-21-2004, 07:04 PM
I have to second obsidian here. You really are going to need an m120 in your gun or you will be outranged by *nearly* everyone on the field. ROF dosen't matter much if your bb's don't reach the guy shooting at you while his are bouncing around next to your head :p