PDA

View Full Version : ICS MP5 doesn't shoot

dstrbd613
07-06-2004, 10:01 PM
I was messing around with my friends one day and my mp5 stopped shooting bb's. With a full mag fully wound it still dry fires. Air comes out when it shoots so i dont think its a jam. Any thoughts or solutions?

skitelluride531
07-06-2004, 10:09 PM
When you are looking up into the bb feeding hole in the mag well, can you see the nozzle moving back and forth when shooting? If not, the nozzle may have become disengaged with the tappet plate.

Laughing_Boy_lol
07-06-2004, 10:12 PM
you should open up your gearbox and check if the tappet plate and the nozzle are connected

dstrbd613
07-06-2004, 10:16 PM
i dont feel safe doing that cuz i have no knowledge of the internals and i dont have a local shop to bring it to to have it looked at. I dont even know how to open the gear box. :(

AustinWolv
07-06-2004, 10:21 PM
Pull the mag out of the gun and clear it of BBs.

Turn the gun upside down so you can see down in the feed tube. Shoot it on semi a couple times. Can you see the nozzle moving back and forth? If it isn't, the nozzle isn't connected to the tappet plate (or the tappet plate could have broken).

dstrbd613
07-06-2004, 10:28 PM
i did that and the thing doesnt move. how would i fix this without knowing the internals and not having a readily accessible airsoft repair shop to bring it to?

skitelluride531
07-06-2004, 10:30 PM
This requires you to open the mechbox. If you do not feel comfortable doing that on your own, you would need to send it to an airsoft shop, or find someone to do it for you. Where are you located?

dstrbd613
07-06-2004, 10:32 PM
unfortunately i live in mass :(. i just like this site cuz u guyz know wut your talking about.

AustinWolv
07-06-2004, 10:41 PM
Well, you could reference the tutorials on airsoftplayers.com that shows how to work on a mechbox or you could send it to a shop like www.airsoftworx.com, which is run by Agrovale and Obsidian of this site.

dstrbd613
07-06-2004, 10:48 PM
do u know wut it would cost for shipping, repair work, and how long it would take?

Mack4
07-06-2004, 10:55 PM
The tappet plate isn't that big of a deal, you can pick up a new one at Combatdepot for 15 bucks. As long as you follow the guide on airsoftplayers you should be fine, however my team has sent a couple guns up here to Austin to be worked on and the result was most satisfactory.
-Mack

skitelluride531
07-06-2004, 11:03 PM
do u know wut it would cost for shipping, repair work, and how long it would take?
Shipping via UPS Ground would be roughly 10 dollars (keep in mind that you would also have to cover return shipping). You should contact AirsoftWorx for a quote on time and cost.

SPLAT1
07-07-2004, 01:15 AM
I hate it when that problem happens! For me, it was usually the magazine that malfunctioned. The ICS MP5 hi-caps are crap!!! What happens is the spring breaks inside the mag, so when you wind the mag up, the spring no longer has the tension to shoot the BB's into the gun. It's happened to me before and it will dry-fire forever. If it is the magazine, you will need to open it up, get some plyers out, and get ready to sit there for 30 minutes trying to get the coil in place. I've had to fix the mag I bought from ICS, including both of Ghost's.

nschrein
07-08-2004, 12:01 AM
The tappet plate on the ICS and AE guns is almost always the first part to go. I'd highly recommend to anyone on the board who has or is planning on getting an ICS gun to always purchase a tappet plate with the order.

Agrovale
07-08-2004, 08:53 AM
I would say the same goes for CA guns. Maybe they all get their knock off tappets from the same place. :) Both new CA M4s I worked on were becasue the tappet plate broke.

SPLAT1
07-08-2004, 10:50 AM
Do a BB dump on your magazine, and try to wind it up. That way you can totally eliminate magazine troubles (if it is a magazine error).

dstrbd613
07-08-2004, 10:01 PM
I guess i should have done more research on ICS guns. I just liked the full metal body cuz i'm a very clumsy person lol :p

Skizm
07-09-2004, 08:37 AM
The tappet plate on the ICS and AE guns is almost always the first part to go. I'd highly recommend to anyone on the board who has or is planning on getting an ICS gun to always purchase a tappet plate with the order.

I can certainly validate this statement personally as I have owned three ICS/EA guns which include a ver1, ver2, and finally a ver3.5 of which ALL had tapet plates made a rigid/brittle plastic that only survived about 4 hi-caps worth of BBs. I would suggest that onyone looking to buy these guns be willing to tinker or pay to have that part at the very minimum replaced.

EDIT: A note on the ICS/CA magazines

I've noticed that the small piece that keeps the BBs in the feed tube appears to be a tad longer then the TM mags and the spring that pushes it forward is a tad stiff. My remedy, which has thus far solved any feeding problems for me, was to use a jewelers file to shortness said piece. Just make sure to go VERY slow, removing very little material, until mag starts feeding better. Also make sure that after you file material off that you use a can of air to blow out the debris.