PDA

View Full Version : Vest Opion

Infrared
07-05-2004, 03:09 PM
I need a opion for this vest right here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2253659246&ssPageName=MERC_VI#ebayphotohosting

I have a M4 and i like this vest. But i don't know much about them as i have never owned one before. Could some body give me some input on this vest.

Rayzor
07-05-2004, 04:03 PM
Opion? O-p-i-n-i-o-n. There is a spell checker on the forums for a reason.

benc64
07-05-2004, 04:08 PM
As long as you are planning to carry a pistol with you, that vest looks OK. I recommend that you visit these sites if you are in the market for a vest:
Tactical Tailor (www.tacticaltailor.com)
Lightfighter (www.lightfighter.com)
Operationally Proven Tactical Gear (www.optactical.com)
EDIT: Rayzor and I said the same thing ;)

Infrared
07-05-2004, 04:19 PM
Opion? O-p-i-n-i-o-n. There is a spell checker on the forums for a reason.

The spell checker didn't say it was spelt wrong so i just went with that.

Obsidian
07-05-2004, 06:11 PM
Which spell checker were you using....It caught it when I just checked.

In anycase a vest is good as long as it holds up and does the job. The links that were posted will give you quality gear that has a lifetime guarantee.

AustinWolv
07-05-2004, 07:29 PM
That vest appears to be a Blackhawk vest or a knock-off thereof, of which there are many. It appears to have the same layout as their Omega cross-draw series. That is about the right price for it.

I had a Blackhawk cross-draw vest in OD long ago, and it was very well-built. It did what I wanted to, but the small pouches above the holster weren't of much help for the loadout I was carrying. The holster fits plenty of guns, ranging widely in size. The main drawback of the vest, in my opinion, was that it was thick and enclosed. Thus, it got pretty warm in the summer heat of Texas, as it didn't allow much air through.

Infrared
07-05-2004, 09:06 PM
That vest appears to be a Blackhawk vest or a knock-off thereof, of which there are many. It appears to have the same layout as their Omega cross-draw series. That is about the right price for it.

I had a Blackhawk cross-draw vest in OD long ago, and it was very well-built. It did what I wanted to, but the small pouches above the holster weren't of much help for the loadout I was carrying. The holster fits plenty of guns, ranging widely in size. The main drawback of the vest, in my opinion, was that it was thick and enclosed. Thus, it got pretty warm in the summer heat of Texas, as it didn't allow much air through.

is there similar vest that is a bit cooler?

benc64
07-05-2004, 09:15 PM
Infrared - Go to the links I posted and you will find plenty of vests that will tickle your fancy.

Wolv - Did you enjoy my wave to you during the first skirmish? :p

Mouse
07-05-2004, 10:01 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36071&item=2255298876&rd=1

I also must note that this model of vest, used by the US army, can be found very cheap and is a VERY reliable vest for the player on a budget. I know that myself and cclark are some of the players that use this vest, and it fits my needs quite nicely. A belt can also be attached to the loopholes at the bottom, so if you run out of storage space in the vest pockets, there are plenty of MOLLE pouches etc. found on the websites benc provided that can fit your carrying needs.

AustinWolv
07-05-2004, 10:37 PM
Wolv - Did you enjoy my wave to you during the first skirmish? Not really. I don't understand why people think that is "fun". While I do not pretend to know your intent, the perception it gives off is one of trash-talking, which is obviously not encouraged for Airsoft. I spent enough years playing streetball and had my fill of that. If you had a different meaning, rock on.

Infrared, take a look at Mouse's suggestion, which is a good starter's rig, in that you can find out inexpensively what works for you and then go from there in the future to something more tailored to your needs/wants.

skitelluride531
07-05-2004, 11:25 PM
Not really. I don't understand why people think that is "fun". While I do not pretend to know your intent, the perception it gives off is one of trash-talking, which is obviously not encouraged for Airsoft. I spent enough years playing streetball and had my fill of that. If you had a different meaning, rock on.

Infrared, take a look at Mouse's suggestion, which is a good starter's rig, in that you can find out inexpensively what works for you and then go from there in the future to something more tailored to your needs/wants.
I think his intent was nothing of the sort :D . I think it was rather he knew you could out range the hell out him so he thought he would let you know he was there to get the killing over quicker. Anyways...thats besides the topic at hand :) .

AustinWolv
07-06-2004, 06:40 AM
Fair enough. Unfortunately, I've been to too many ops where people did crap like that, which doesn't foster good sportsmanship. Next time, I'll know you're just being friendly. :)

Obsidian
07-06-2004, 08:46 AM
Fair enough. Unfortunately, I've been to too many ops where people did crap like that, which doesn't foster good sportsmanship. Next time, I'll know you're just being friendly. :)

.....then shoot him.

AustinWolv
07-06-2004, 08:58 AM
That goes without saying. :D

benc64
07-06-2004, 09:45 AM
Not really. I don't understand why people think that is "fun". While I do not pretend to know your intent, the perception it gives off is one of trash-talking, which is obviously not encouraged for Airsoft. I spent enough years playing streetball and had my fill of that. If you had a different meaning, rock on.
Please don't take that wave as being anything derogatory. I meant no harm by it. Just as ski said, I knew then that it was only a matter of time before you shot me out, you have far more accuracy in that AK than I do. Plus, I was behind the smallest friggin' tree in that whole grove and had cclark and Skizm coming up behind me. I know exactly how you feel when you say you are fed up with trash-talking, I get plenty of it during high school football games.

Infrared
07-06-2004, 04:09 PM
After reading up a bit more i learned that this vest gets to warm. So i found this vest: http://www.tacticaltailor.com/products/vests/tac_vest_1e/

Is this a better vest than the other?

AustinWolv
07-06-2004, 04:12 PM
Tactical Tailor makes very good products. You won't be disappointed. At this point, I'd rather spend my money on Tactical Tailor products than Blackhawk.

Dragon
07-06-2004, 04:28 PM
The spell checker didn't say it was spelt wrong so i just went with that.

Entry: Spelt
Pronunciation: 'spelt
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English, from Late Latin spelta, of Germanic origin; perhaps akin to Middle High German spelte split piece of wood, Old High German spaltan to split -- more at SPLIT
: a wheat (Triticum aestivum spelta) with lax spikes and spikelets containing two light red kernels

Entry: Spell
Pronunciation: 'spel
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): spelled /'speld, 'spelt/; spell·ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French espeller, of Germanic origin; akin to Old English spell talk
transitive senses
1 : to read slowly and with difficulty -- often used with out
2 : to find out by study : come to understand -- often used with out <it requires some pains to spell out those decorations -- F. J. Mather>
3 a (1) : to name the letters of in order; also : to write or print the letters of in order (2) : to write or print the letters of in a particular way <you can spell it either way> <I spelled it wrong> b : to make up (a word) <what word do these letters spell> c : WRITE 1b <catnip is spelled as one word>
4 : to add up to : MEAN <crop failure was likely to spell stark famine -- Stringfellow Barr>
intransitive senses : to form words with letters <teach children to spell>; also : to spell words in a certain way <spells the way he speaks>

nschrein
07-06-2004, 05:30 PM
Any Tactical Vest, of the BHI Omega Style, or TT Tac vest will be a bit more hot then a less constricted setup such as a chest rig. Just keep in mind that most of these tactical vest have some limitations.

Some of the limitations I see are:

-Lack of webbing, modular incompatibility
-More constricting, may slow down movement and will be "hotter" in the daytime.
-Usually they don't have much magazine capacity. The link your provided from Tactical Tailor says there is only 1 magazine pouch.

"(1) Holster, (1) Pistol Mag Pocket, (1) Rifle Mag Pocket, (1) Medium Utility, (2) Map Pockets, (1) Cuff Pocket, (2) Back Utility, and (1) Hydration Pocket."

That is very limiting on how much ammo you can keep on hand, unless you get a dropleg subload.

If you are on a budget, look into surplus web-gear. That may be a better alternative, especially during the Texas heat. You could customize your rig to meet your needs. If you have a bit to spend, I'd look into a modular setup or MOLLE setup. TT also produces a rig called the TT MAV, which has proved as a great rig for others in the past.

Infrared
07-07-2004, 09:32 PM
Entry: Spelt
Pronunciation: 'spelt
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English, from Late Latin spelta, of Germanic origin; perhaps akin to Middle High German spelte split piece of wood, Old High German spaltan to split -- more at SPLIT
: a wheat (Triticum aestivum spelta) with lax spikes and spikelets containing two light red kernels

Entry: Spell
Pronunciation: 'spel
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): spelled /'speld, 'spelt/; spell·ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French espeller, of Germanic origin; akin to Old English spell talk
transitive senses
1 : to read slowly and with difficulty -- often used with out
2 : to find out by study : come to understand -- often used with out <it requires some pains to spell out those decorations -- F. J. Mather>
3 a (1) : to name the letters of in order; also : to write or print the letters of in order (2) : to write or print the letters of in a particular way <you can spell it either way> <I spelled it wrong> b : to make up (a word) <what word do these letters spell> c : WRITE 1b <catnip is spelled as one word>
4 : to add up to : MEAN <crop failure was likely to spell stark famine -- Stringfellow Barr>
intransitive senses : to form words with letters <teach children to spell>; also : to spell words in a certain way <spells the way he speaks>

Grammar freak.

nschrein
07-07-2004, 09:36 PM
Most people take pride in grammar here. If you can't get used to that fact, then you might find it difficult to get along with the other posters.

Dragon
07-07-2004, 09:37 PM
Hehehe...

Wrong again. :D

Main Entry: gram·mar
Pronunciation: 'gra-m&r
Etymology: Middle English gramere, from Middle French gramaire, modification of Latin grammatica, from Greek grammatikE, from feminine of grammatikos of letters, from grammat-, gramma -- more at GRAM
1 a : the study of the classes of words, their inflections, and their functions and relations in the sentence b : a study of what is to be preferred and what avoided in inflection and syntax
2 a : the characteristic system of inflections and syntax of a language b : a system of rules that defines the grammatical structure of a language
3 a : a grammar textbook b : speech or writing evaluated according to its conformity to grammatical rules
4 : the principles or rules of an art, science, or technique <a grammar of the theater>

Try "Spelling" Freak

;) :D

Mack4
07-07-2004, 09:38 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=588&item=2255370153&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
I bought one of these a while back, been real happy with it. Airsoftplayers and Airsoftohio have a review on it I think.
-Mack

nschrein
07-07-2004, 09:40 PM
Yea I remember that post, Jason-Alaska at ASP wrote a review of his vest at ASP.

http://www.airsoftplayers.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2576&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=South,African,

Dragon
07-07-2004, 09:43 PM
I got this one and love it. But in the summer it gets a bit hot.

http://www.lightfighter.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=669

Holds TONS!!!

Polaris
07-08-2004, 10:59 AM
Now that's a really nice vest.

matt05CQB
07-09-2004, 12:52 AM
Yea, that vest is nice. But it will put a dent in the wallet. If you are looking for a nice vest with plenty of carry space (and carry potential due to ALICE/MOLLE attachments on back) http://www.imsplus.com/ims67b.html has a nice vest and it is mesh backed, so it will keep you cool. Plus, its only $65. It lacks the holster, but that is usually not a problem for anyone and I actually think the vest holster gets in the way and is less easier to draw and aim than thigh rigs. Almost any vest does the job though as long as you can fill it with a lot of stuff, wear it comfortably and it can take some damage... then it works.

Mouse
07-09-2004, 12:56 AM
Looks like a knock-off to me.

nschrein
07-09-2004, 04:20 PM
Looks like a knock-off to me.

Yes, but BHI vest are knock-offs too.

matt05CQB
07-09-2004, 09:14 PM
The better part of all vests are knock offs, BHI vests are really expensive knockoffs and they make you think that they are issued to the military. That my friends is BS. Not once has ANY Blackhawk vest been issued to any military unit in the history of BHI. Some have been bought by some SWAT Officers because they fit their needs, but they aren't standard issue in any police department in the US. BHI is just screwing you completely and the only things they sell that are actually issued to the military are things they don't manufacture (camelbak and hellstorm). Not that I am saying BHI Gear is bad, it is well manufactured but it is just a knockoff.

So the vest I mentioned up there, while a "knock-off" is very durable and very cheap.

Infrared
07-09-2004, 09:41 PM
Hehehe...

Wrong again. :D

Main Entry: gram·mar
Pronunciation: 'gra-m&r
Etymology: Middle English gramere, from Middle French gramaire, modification of Latin grammatica, from Greek grammatikE, from feminine of grammatikos of letters, from grammat-, gramma -- more at GRAM
1 a : the study of the classes of words, their inflections, and their functions and relations in the sentence b : a study of what is to be preferred and what avoided in inflection and syntax
2 a : the characteristic system of inflections and syntax of a language b : a system of rules that defines the grammatical structure of a language
3 a : a grammar textbook b : speech or writing evaluated according to its conformity to grammatical rules
4 : the principles or rules of an art, science, or technique <a grammar of the theater>

Try "Spelling" Freak

;) :D

My f*kin bad dude!! why cant you just correct your own words.

(not trying to be rude)

nschrein
07-09-2004, 10:01 PM
The better part of all vests are knock offs, BHI vests are really expensive knockoffs and they make you think that they are issued to the military. That my friends is BS. Not once has ANY Blackhawk vest been issued to any military unit in the history of BHI. Some have been bought by some SWAT Officers because they fit their needs, but they aren't standard issue in any police department in the US. BHI is just screwing you completely and the only things they sell that are actually issued to the military are things they don't manufacture (camelbak and hellstorm). Not that I am saying BHI Gear is bad, it is well manufactured but it is just a knockoff.

So the vest I mentioned up there, while a "knock-off" is very durable and very cheap.

I don't know where you get your information from, but military personnel does in fact use BHI vest. The thing with BHI is that you can get their gear almost instantly, unlike other very high end gear makers, such as Paraclete, SOTech, SOE and so on. Many SF guys and DSS frequently purchase BHI gear before they go out in the field. BHI is fine, it does hold up and is plenty of sufficient for airsoft purposes.

The only reason why I don't by from BHI is their marketing techniques and the fact that they rip off everything from everyone.

Mack4
07-09-2004, 10:02 PM
Airsoft is a knock-off or real warfare! I love el cheapo de diablo knock-offs, easy on the wallet, fills the need, leaves me room to buy important things, like airsoft guns. I have been very happy with my two knock-off vests, never had any problems with them.
-Mack

matt05CQB
07-09-2004, 10:05 PM
Exactly Mack. I had used that IMSPLUS cheapo vest for 3 years and it doesn't have so much as a tear on it. It has never failed me and it carries everything I have ever needed (and then some if I used the ALICE/MOLLE attachment points on the back). Plus, like Mack said, it allows me to buy the more expensive stuff to fill it with.

Arsenic
07-10-2004, 12:23 AM

You REALLY need to do some research. I have SEEN BHI gear being purchased by the truck-load by SEALs up in Virginia prior to deployment of thier team. I have used it in Physical Security while serving in the US Navy at NAS Oceana. It is issued to the Master At Arms on the USS George Washington for inport security not to mention being worn by the VBSS teams.
Why do you think they are constantly back-ordered? Do you really think they are selling out everything to us airsofters?

matt05CQB
07-10-2004, 12:52 AM
First off, when was the last time you saw SEALs (or any Special Forces Unit) use their standard issue gear. SEALs are known for spending their own money (I say that with some reservation, I would guess the command donates to the cause as well) to get gear they like. BHI is NOT standard issue to the SEALs, I never said they didn't use it because I am damn sure they do. The point I was trying to make is that it isn't standard issue. Now, the Visit, Board, Search and Seizure teams is another story. I am quite certain that they aren't issued BHI as standard issue, but I have seen some VBSS operators use it.

I'm sorry I wasn't specific enough in my post earlier. The point I was trying to pass was that it isn't assigned an NSN number and isn't standard issue. But you are correct sir, it is used.

And oohyah, Go Navy!

matt05CQB
07-10-2004, 12:55 AM
I don't know where you get your information from, but military personnel does in fact use BHI vest. The thing with BHI is that you can get their gear almost instantly, unlike other very high end gear makers, such as Paraclete, SOTech, SOE and so on. Many SF guys and DSS frequently purchase BHI gear before they go out in the field. BHI is fine, it does hold up and is plenty of sufficient for airsoft purposes.

The only reason why I don't by from BHI is their marketing techniques and the fact that they rip off everything from everyone.

Roger that, that was another point I was trying to get across. BHI, while very durable gear, it is basically a knockoff of everyone else's gear and it is over priced for what you can get for $65 from a Military Surplus store.

Arsenic
07-10-2004, 01:00 AM
The point I was making is that it IS standard issue by the Security Teams on the USS Washington therefore BHI Gear IS issued in the US military. Therefore your first post was incorrect. The SEAL teams I watched purchase all the BHI gear I was speaking of was paid for with a purchase order which means the command paid for it and would in turn make it issued.

matt05CQB
07-10-2004, 01:11 AM
Well sir, I can not speak on the spending habits of the security force aboard the GW. I can say, that at current, there is no contract between BHI and the US Navy to buy anything. A contract exists between the Army and BHI, but not between the Navy and BHI. Thus, if no contract exists, there is no NSN number and if there is no NSN number it isn't standard issue. I do not want to step on any toes here sir, but I have done the research on the subject because I wasn't really buying some of the stuff BHI was dishing up.

Just because the command bought it, doesn't make it standard issue. It means they wanted their men to be well equipped in the field and didn't think what Uncle Sam was giving them would do the trick. Why do you think that most of the gear that SEALs, Rangers, MFR and USAF Pararescue looks like it was custom made out of the parariggers loft, because they took the standard issue stuff and rigged it to their liking.

Arsenic
07-10-2004, 02:13 AM
I can say, that at current, there is no contract between BHI and the US Navy to buy anything. A contract exists between the Army and BHI, but not between the Navy and BHI. Thus, if no contract exists, there is no NSN number and if there is no NSN number it isn't standard issue.

Ok now I'm confused. You say that if there is a contract then there is an NSN number and that would make it issue, yet you said in an earlier post that BHI gear has never been issued to the US military. Sounds like your back-pedaling to me.

Bear
07-10-2004, 03:16 AM
(Ahem) If I may be so bold, I believe this thread has gotten way off topic.

On the original topic, my policy is use what you need. If all you need is a $20 LBV from a surplus store, by all means use it. But if you feel you need something more, then have at it.

Jono
07-10-2004, 11:03 AM
(Ahem) If I may be so bold, I believe this thread has gotten way off topic.

On the original topic, my policy is use what you need. If all you need is a $20 LBV from a surplus store, by all means use it. But if you feel you need something more, then have at it.

Agreed, thread is now locked.