PDA

View Full Version : AK47 upgrades

Trench_raider
06-17-2004, 07:58 AM
H3Y Do0D$!!!1!!! Im gettin a Ph@7 AK$7 whut should i do t0 m@k3 17 $ho07 b3773R!!????!111!!

Just kidding. The amusing/irritating exchange below with "Ggrimreaper" must have gotten to me. ;) Someone please tell me that guy was just trolling and was not for real! But then again I've spent enough time on various paintball boards to have seen that sort of kiddie before.

Anyway, in a moment of madness I expanded my airsoft collection by ordering a TM AK47 from "Airsoft Extreme" on Monday. I expect it in by early next week. Anyway, a few of my Ebay auctions are going better than I hoped so I will have some money burning a hole in my pocket. I am seriously considering picking up a metal body and Guarder wood kit for this gun.

My question is this: is installation of these two items something I should attempt to do myself given my very limited AEG technical know-how or should I turn it over to one of our local pros? I'm planning on getting it upgraded anyway, so getting whoever does the upgrade work to install these accessories seems to be the best bet.

"Trench Raider"
who realises his "1337 D3Wd" impression is not too authentic.... :o

AustinWolv
06-17-2004, 09:05 AM
If you are going to have upgrade work done on it, you might as well have the other parts installed by that person as well since the metal body and the wood kit basically mean you are tearing the gun almost fully apart.

Trench_raider
06-17-2004, 02:35 PM
Thanks D0o---errr...Wolv.

That pretty much confirms my first impulse on this matter.

"Trench Raider"

Obsidian
06-18-2004, 09:30 AM
I have a wood kit for a AK47S that I am going to sell off shortly. The wood kits are pretty nice but easily show wear and tear. The method of attachment leaves a little to be desired as well. On mine just taking the stock off a few times is starting to make me worry about the wood screws holding it.

AustinWolv
06-18-2004, 09:54 AM
True that, as I have since bought T-nuts for the day when the wood screws no longer hold. Perhaps the Guarder re-release of some of these kits will feature enhancements in those types of areas.

Trench_raider
06-23-2004, 01:46 PM
Hmmm. So all in all, is the upgrade to wood and steel worth the cost in you opinion then? I got my AK last night and it does seem to be very strudy and the fake wood is very convincing.

"Trench Raider"

AustinWolv
06-23-2004, 02:01 PM
I like the metal body personally. It is solid as hell, plus you can usually find them for around $75-85 on Ebay or ASP's classifieds..

However, the wood kits are so expensive, I'm not convinced they are worth the money new. If you can find one used however.......

For example, my RPK kit is really slick, and I don't regret picking it up. However, just like any product, there are some design improvements that could easily be made. But remember, I didn't pay the new price for it either.

For now, I would stick with metal body only, until you feel you find a good deal on a wood kit (or even want one), or come across some spare cash.

*Mind you, I've only had experience with the Guarder RPK wood kit, not the other wood kits. I believe Obsidian and bstann have the regular Guarder AK kits, and while the quality is nice, they have expressed similar views that some improvements could be made.

Obsidian
06-23-2004, 04:07 PM
I have a CAW wood kit on mine. For me the price was right. I picked up the gun and wood kit brand new off ebay for 225.

Trench_raider
06-23-2004, 05:10 PM
"The price was right"? hehe you should be shot for totally scoring like that!

In any event, dependiong on how this week's Ebay auctions end up I will probably go ahead and get both the metal body and wood kit from airsoftextre.com.

"Trench Raider"

AustinWolv
06-23-2004, 05:17 PM
Yeah, that's right, Obsidian raped somebody on that deal.

Trench_raider
06-23-2004, 05:37 PM
Let's hope he at least gave them kiss after the crime! heh...

"Trench Raider"