PDA

View Full Version : New Look/Products For Tactical Tailor

HammerHead
06-08-2004, 08:56 AM
Tactical Tailor (http://www.tacticaltailor.com) has updated its website layout/appearance. In so doing, it now lists four new products on the homepage:

1. Small modular leg rig.
2. Small modular radio pouch (this was recently reviewed by MCoupe11).
3. Single 7.62mm (.308 calibre) mag pouch - this product is listed as "available soon".
4. Improved rescue belt.

They've also begun to offer a great "3D Product Spin Feature", on some products, which allows you to see all sides of a pouch.

The small leg rig appears to be similar in design and purpose to other units of the same style, while filling satisfying demand for a more compact option. The single 7.62mm mag pouch is nearly identical in design to TT's previously released 5.56mm single mag pouch, but was designed for the squatter, wider 7.62mm cartridge mags of the M14 and G3, for example. The improved rescue belt seems simply to offer double webbing for improved durability.

AustinWolv
06-08-2004, 09:28 AM
Their website improvements are a great feature of their site now. Previously, my personal opinion was that their pictures weren't very good because you couldn't see details/features well. They fixed that and then some.

HammerHead
06-08-2004, 09:35 AM
I agree. Upon a more extended visit, I've discovered that the vast majority of their modular pouches feature the 3D spin. This has greatly improved upon Operatonally Proven Tactical Gear's concept of listing a pouch's MOLLE width and height.

benc64
06-08-2004, 12:14 PM
While we're talking about Tactical Tailor, I am wondering what ya'll think about their Modular Tac-vest and pouches. Would anybody who has experience with these products please tell me what they think about them (i.e. are they durable, reliable, etc.)?
Thank you very much in advance.

AustinWolv
06-08-2004, 12:27 PM
Overall, TT's products are well-made and excellent gear. I have no problem recommending their stuff, even though a couple of their products may have some features you may or may not like. That is true of all gear though because pretty much every person has their own likes and dislikes. I personally really like all the TT products I've had possession of at one point or another. An order of some of their pouches is on the way to me now, so we'll see if I like those particular items as well.

As for their modular stuff, talk to Obsidian and A-velv, I think, as they run modular TT rigs.

HammerHead
06-08-2004, 01:12 PM
While we're talking about Tactical Tailor, I am wondering what ya'll think about their Modular Tac-vest and pouches. Would anybody who has experience with these products please tell me what they think about them (i.e. are they durable, reliable, etc.)?
Thank you very much in advance.

I cannot comment on TT's modular TAC vest, however, I have been very impressed with their pouches.

The MALICE clip design is a vast improvement over the snap-on type found on USGI and Blackhawk pouches. It's easier to weave through MOLLE webbing, being flatter than the snap-ons. It's likewise easier to remove. But most importantly, MALICE clips will not give way under stress, whereas the snap-ons frequently come undone under the lightest of activity.

Tactical Tailor also offers a wider variety of pouches, which meet far more purposes than many of the single use items you'll find in Blackhawk's catalog. While their previous pictures were not fantastic, they were far better than BHI's. With TT I've always at least had a basic idea of how many loops tall and wide a pouch was. Not so with BHI. You'll be hard pressed to find a photo of the back of a BHI pouch and they've only recently started indicating "X loops wid by Y loops tall" on their website. Probably a result of Operationally Proven Tactical Gear's efforts to provide as much information as possible to consumers. Not to mention there's a significant price improvement in TT pouches when compared to BHI.

There's room for improvement in nearly every TT pouch I own. Most of my suggestions are things which would be nice and are in no way indications of product deficiencies. However, there is one TT pouch I've heard get bad marks all the way across the board. That's the AK mag pouch. It fails, frequently, at its primary purpose, securely carrying AK mags.

Check the user reviews as well. I've entered a brief review on each of the TT pouches I currently own.

Oh, if you're going to order everything at once, I recommend you order TT kit from http://www.optactical.com. He offers free shipping on orders in excess of $100.

Bstann
06-08-2004, 02:03 PM
The AK mag pouches are a bad design. I have them and really dislike them. As for all my other gear its almost all TT. I like everything else but the AK pouches. The Modular vest works great and breathes well.

Jono
06-08-2004, 02:10 PM
Agreed, TT makes a great kit. I run the two-piece MAV and love it. You canít go wrong with TT, specially at the price point they sell at.

Here is my rig: http://www.austinairsoft.com/forums/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=404&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

benc64
06-08-2004, 09:15 PM
The AK mag pouches are a bad design. I have them and really dislike them. As for all my other gear its almost all TT. I like everything else but the AK pouches. The Modular vest works great and breathes well.
What's wrong with the AK pouches?

HammerHead
06-08-2004, 10:03 PM
If you check the TT website and review the 3D view of the double 7.62mm mag pouch, you'll see shock cord around the outside of the pouch and note that the flap on the top stays rather low to the magazines. By comparison, the AK47 magazines do not have the shock cord and the pouch itself does not rise as high on the AK47 mag as does the 7.62mm double mag pouch. The simple addition of shock cord, like on the 7.62mm pouch would greatly improve the AK47 mag pouch.

What it all amounts to is AK47 magazines slipping out of the pouch.

Jono
06-08-2004, 11:07 PM
What it really needs is a velcro closure.

Bstann
06-08-2004, 11:31 PM
Even with a Velcro closer you will have the same problem. It either needs the shock cord or a full cover like Wolv's Blackhawk AK pouches have.

The OD one is the Blackhawk version, not sure if its the same one Wolv has or not.

The woodland one is the TT.

I also just noticed on the web site that TT will be releasing a newly designed AK pouch. Maybe they have heard the same complaints that we are making now.

AustinWolv
06-08-2004, 11:51 PM
Yeah, exactly as bstann mentioned, you really need the cover on the pouch, as velcro will only hold the flap down. Holding the flap down isn't sufficient however because AK mags are curved and thus the flap will slide over to one side, and say bye-bye to your mag when you go prone, as it can easily slide out.

bstann's picture of the BHI AK mag pouch is the same series I have. Only difference is that mine has three pouches, instead of two. The flap has sides to it that come down to close off around the mags.