PDA

View Full Version : should i consider my self a sniper

assassin
06-29-2003, 09:25 AM
hey, i have a military ghillie suit, and a g-36c aeg whith a 400 fps upgrade and i use .25 gram bbs, so wind is not a problem. i also have a tasco red dot scope, not to mention a 470 round hi-cap magazine, so i can lay down a suficient amount of cover. do yall think this would classify me as a sniper?:)

AustinWolv
06-29-2003, 09:43 AM
Nope.

cclark1985
06-29-2003, 09:54 AM
What is the most straight forward definition of a "sniper"?

AustinWolv
06-29-2003, 10:18 AM
The simplest definition from www.dictionary.com:
snip·er ( P ) Pronunciation Key (snpr)
n.
A skilled military shooter detailed to spot and pick off enemy soldiers from a concealed place.
One who shoots at other people from a concealed place.

However, those who train and do it for real more than likely subscribe to this type of definition:
http://snipersonline.org/definition%20of%20a%20sniper.htm

In other words, a support gunner or assault role is not a sniper. The setup that assassin describes above is of an assault setup, while hinting at a support role when he stated he will lay down sufficient amounts of cover fire. His setup mirrors practically all the players in Austin in a general sense, and none of us play sniper roles. :)

Obsidian
06-29-2003, 09:18 PM
Just wait till I get my M60 sniper rifle going again :)

My defination of an airsoft sniper is someone who trades rate of fire and bb capacity for Range. A 400 fps gun might have range if you are playing with springers but technically there is no such thing as an full auto sniper rifle.....If there was all of the world's armed forces would be using them.

Katana
07-08-2003, 06:12 PM
I think that generally, the most important part of sniping is the ability to engage a target effectively with the expectation of getting away with it without being located or identified.

Things that work toward this are concealment, distance from target, and a drastic limit on number of shots fired, rarely more than single digits.