PDA

View Full Version : Extending Your Barrel

benc64
05-22-2004, 06:43 PM
A couple weeks ago on these forums, someone wrote that if you put an extended barrel onto smaller guns (i.e. MP5, SG 552) they won't be able to fire on full auto because the cylinder of the gun will be sucking air back in as the BB is still flying down the barrel, therefore pulling the BB backwards and not allowing it to fire. Is this fact or fiction? I am going to be buying a Systema tightbore barrel that is for an M4, and I will be putting it on my 552, I would like to know if this is going to prohibit me from firing at all.
Thanks

AustinWolv
05-22-2004, 06:54 PM
Various AEGs have varying types of cylinders based on their stock config. For example, a M16A2 will have a Type0 cylinder has no holes in it,while a M4 will have a hole near the rear of the cylinder. An AK cylinder has some notches cut on the back edge. This is done so the weapon will fire on full-auto with just the amount of air needed to push the BBs out efficiently.

The gun will fire fine on full-auto, and the BBs will still fire, but you will notice a drop in muzzle velocity if the cylinder doesn't have enough internal volume to cause proper air acceleration.

In your case, the gun will cycle fine. The question will be if any muzzle velocity drop occurs.

http://www.austinairsoft.com/forums/showthread.php?p=29704#post29704

As you can figure out by doing a little research, the 552 likely has the same cylinder as the P90 since their inner barrel lengths are the same. Therefore, the P90 cylinder has a similar hole as the M4 cylinder, which you could learn by looking here: http://www.wargameclub.com/pcart/shopper.php?cat=Systema%20Cylinder%20Sets

In other words, under those assumptions, you should be fine.

When in doubt, just install a Type0 cylinder.

skitelluride531
05-22-2004, 08:59 PM
I have a question also in regards to barrel length. Would a bore-up cylinder kit work as well to solve this problem? I will be installing a 590mm length inner barrel in my new Ak47.

Thanks

AustinWolv
05-22-2004, 09:56 PM
Sorry, can't help you with that; I'd give the Type0 cylinder a run first, as the internal volume of it is still larger than the volume of the 590mm barrel.

Mouse
05-23-2004, 01:21 AM
Ben i highely doubt an M4 barrel hurt your gun. When people refer to the problem created by putting a long tightbore barrel into a weapon that sports a short barrel, they are usually talking about a g3 barrel, or a psg1 barrel.....a LONG barrel.

I don't think the M4 tightbore barrel length is long enough to where it will hurt the performance of your gun.

Dragon
05-23-2004, 01:51 AM
When I put an extended tight bore barrel on my MP5-A5/A4 ("The Hose") I put an M16A2 cylinder in it and it worked fine. Sorry, but I can't remember what barrel I had in it but take a normal MP5-A5/A4 and add 14 inches to it and that's the barrel I had in it. My muzzle velocity did drop but the action was fine.

benc64
05-23-2004, 10:19 AM
Ben i highely doubt an M4 barrel hurt your gun. When people refer to the problem created by putting a long tightbore barrel into a weapon that sports a short barrel, they are usually talking about a g3 barrel, or a psg1 barrel.....a LONG barrel.

I don't think the M4 tightbore barrel length is long enough to where it will hurt the performance of your gun.

Ya, I don't know where I could hide such long barrels though, I mean I have a silencer, but a G3 barrel would definently stick out from it. Where do these people put the excess barrel?

Agrovale
05-23-2004, 10:36 AM
I have a question also in regards to barrel length. Would a bore-up cylinder kit work as well to solve this problem? I will be installing a 590mm length inner barrel in my new Ak47.

Yes. The longest barrel in a stock AEG is in the SIG550 at 534mm. The 550 uses a Type 0 cylinder. I have a 650mm barrel in my AUG. I used a bore up kit just in case. And it shoots at 400 fps right where it should, so it worked for me.

Dragon
05-23-2004, 12:15 PM
Ya, I don't know where I could hide such long barrels though, I mean I have a silencer, but a G3 barrel would definently stick out from it. Where do these people put the excess barrel?

Make your own silencer to cover the barrel extension. I did.

Ask anyone that's seen mine. It worked and looked great! Once I get my digi camera back I'll take picts and post how I made it. (Might be a couple of weeks.)

Mouse
05-23-2004, 04:13 PM
On Arnies i've read about a few players who used a Maglite and converted it into a silencer. It sounds like a pretty good and cheap idea if you have all the right tools and the proper know-how.

skitelluride531
05-23-2004, 04:17 PM
Heh, that reminds of a time when me and a friend tried to make a silencer out of a flash hider, lots of electrical tape, and a plastic pipe. It ended up turning to look like a.......well.....something it shouldn't of looked like :D .