PDA

View Full Version : SIG 552 issues

Fieroloki
05-22-2004, 02:27 PM
Finally got the SIG put back together for farmcoot and now I think the hop-up is screwed. Mechbox works great and get the right air coming out. Anyone know if a hop-up from another AEG will work or if someone has one from a broken gun they wanna get rid of???

AustinWolv
05-22-2004, 02:35 PM
What are the symptoms?

The seemingly most common post-upgrade hopup issue is people forgetting to install (or losing) the small rubber cylinder that presses on the hop bucking.

Fieroloki
05-22-2004, 03:38 PM
All there.... Just doesnt feed. Tried 2 different mags. One normal and one high cap. All the hop-up pieces are there. I think im just going to have him ship it to someone. Uhg.. Sigs Suck. :)

AustinWolv
05-22-2004, 05:05 PM
Take the mag out, hold the gun upside-down, and fire it a few time. Can you see the nozzle moving back and forth?

Fieroloki
05-22-2004, 06:47 PM
Seems to... Hard to tell...

AustinWolv
05-22-2004, 07:02 PM
Use more light; you should see it moving back and forth.

If the nozzle is not moving back and forth, then the tappet plate wasn't installed on the nozzle correctly (or could be broken, although unlikely).

If the nozzle is moving back and forth correctly, then something is misaligned slightly, which is not allowing BBs to enter the chamber.

benc64
05-22-2004, 07:20 PM
The seemingly most common post-upgrade hopup issue is people forgetting to install (or losing) the small rubber cylinder that presses on the hop bucking.

Where does that small rubber cylinder go, I just took my brother's P90 apart and that fell out!

Katana
05-22-2004, 08:56 PM
I think Wolv's on the right track with a tappet-plate failure that's not allowing the nozzle to cycle and permit bb's to enter the hop-ups firing chamber. Perhaps the spring that pulls the tappet plate back into battery came loose inside the mech-box.

As for the small rubber cylinder from the hop-up, it's probably the spacer that fits underneath the rocker-arm and pushes against the hop-up bucking. The rocker arm that you adjust when you adjust the hop-up isn't supposed to actually touch the hop-up bucking on the barrel itself. The rocker arm pushes against the spacer and the spacer pushes against the bucking.

AustinWolv
05-22-2004, 09:10 PM
benc, as Katana covered, that little rubber cylinder piece is placed inside the small U-shaped end of the rocker arm. It needs to be placed and reassembled cautiously, as it isn't held in place all that well.

HammerHead
05-22-2004, 09:28 PM
benc, as Katana covered, that little rubber cylinder piece is placed inside the small U-shaped end of the rocker arm. It needs to be placed and reassembled cautiously, as it isn't held in place all that well.

I can't agree more. I think many of us have begun to find our own personal little irritations with some of the design principles behind AEG's. The "forking hopup o-ring", as I've come to call it, is my nemesis. I just hate it. It's a particularly nasty customer for those of us with fat fingers.

I've found that the best way to reinstall it is to use the tip of a pencil, or very small diameter screwdriver. Drop the "forking hopup o-ring" on the tip, then slip it through the hole in the side of the hopup, below the rocker arm. Press the rocker arm down against the "forking hopup o-ring" to keep it in place, then carefully slide the rear of your barrel back in place. Slowly. Check your hopup. If you don't see the indentation at the top of your barrel, pull everything out and start the "forking hopup o-ring" installation again.

I've taken to keeping a Bic pen around to replace the little forkers, because they disappear frequently. The ink tube inside is the perfect replacement part in a pinch.