PDA

View Full Version : Grammar/Spelling Rules

Anonymous
05-21-2004, 05:52 PM
I have been reading through many of the forums and have found a common reoccurring argument. This argument is over spelling and grammatical errors. There are three reasons why my following requests should be seriously considered.

First request I have is that in the rules/guidelines the rule/guideline on grammar and spelling should be more specific to what the Administrators of the website want.
Second request is that this should be bolded (made obvious) and pointed out as a very serious rule of the website. In addition, the Administrators should tell people about their errors through a PM or emails, not wasting/cluttering up a thread.

First reason is that it seems like of the two active administrators that one had a very different definition to the rules on grammar/spelling than the other. One seems to attack people for every little error, which in the rules state that the post only has to be clear. The other seems to follow what the rules say, “1. Post with clarity. If you expect to get good answers to your question, endeavor to make it as clear and specific as possible. This includes the use of proper spelling, grammar, punctuation, and netiquette. It's not a good idea to make others have to work hard to understand what you are saying.” He lets small errors fly because the post is still understandable.

Second reason is that the animosities being built up between what is suppose to be a community of airsoft players is unnecessary. The community is of people of all ages and generations. The younger generation of players finds this rule unnecessary because they grew up with internet lingo where as the older does not understand the lingo and does not approve. I believe that all people should respect elders and follow their rules and the rules of this community if they want to be a part; therefore, I am not going to fight against the use of the grammar/spelling rules. However, if the rules where to be more specific than there would not be unnecessary arguments over the spelling/grammar.

Third reason, this is for the bolding and making obvious, is because many people I have watched that joined the community have been scared off because off one of the administrators attacking them for not using correct grammar. I believe that a pm or email to new people when they commit this error would be better than bashing them on their thread.

AustinWolv
05-21-2004, 06:07 PM
Didn't want to post under your usual ID?

This includes the use of proper spelling, grammar, punctuation, and netiquette. If that no longer applies, then rock on. I won't have to spend my time suggesting corrections. Don't take corrections personally, as they are not attacks.

The younger generation of players finds this rule unnecessary because they grew up with internet lingo where as the older does not understand the lingo and does not approve. I didn't know I was that old. Thanks for letting me know what I do and don't understand.

many people I have watched that joined the community have been scared off because off one of the administrators attacking them for not using correct grammar. I believe that a pm or email to new people when they commit this error would be better than bashing them on their thread. Personally, I believe those people should do a better job of reading the existing forum guidelines/rules. They aren't hard to understand. It seems that the only people that have been "scared" off are people that are younger than 15 years old and had trouble constructing basic sentences from what I have seen.

As the forum guidelines change, you received your wish, and the staff will adjust accordingly. Thanks for your suggestions.

skitelluride531
05-21-2004, 07:56 PM
Curious to know who this anonymous person is. It's someone on Maelstrom. I do agree with most of his points though.

AustinWolv
05-21-2004, 08:41 PM
Fairly obvious that it is Energizer.

benc64
05-21-2004, 09:47 PM
Go Energizer!!
Although, on second thought I don't think that it is him. Being in his English class this year and having several opportunities to proofread his AP essays has shown me that he is not exactly the best writer. No offense to him, as I am not very good either, but this just doesn't look like this is one of his workings.
But...it may be someone else who I have in mind...

AustinWolv
05-22-2004, 10:10 AM
The IP matches.

Energizer_e2
05-22-2004, 10:19 AM
Thats the cheating way to figure it out. ;)

AustinWolv
05-22-2004, 10:29 AM
Thats the cheating way to figure it out. ;)

Actually, that is the way I confirmed it, not the way I figured it out.

“1. Post with clarity. If you expect to get good answers to your question, endeavor to make it as clear and specific as possible. This includes the use of proper spelling, grammar, punctuation, and netiquette. It's not a good idea to make others have to work hard to understand what you are saying.”

The use of that argument, along with the writing style as compared to your post in the G3SAS thread, hinted at it for me. ;)

Energizer_e2
05-22-2004, 03:53 PM
Hahah, yeah that's what I thought, the arguments were very similar. :o

Katana
05-22-2004, 07:47 PM
NOTE: This post isn't targeted at any one individual.

There sure has been a big thing about spelling and grammar recently.

Personally, I saw what happened to what used to be the dominant airsoft site, AirsoftZone, and how that place basically plummeted in quality of content due to a lack of aggressive moderating. The place rapidly slid from the first inclusion of web-speak in a post here or there to massive mis-spelling, made-up words, and fictional abbreviations for no other reason other than people were being lazy. From there it wasn't long before there was hardly a coherent thought to be found in any post any longer. It’s too bad; that place had a lot of good information. Thank goodness that AirsoftPlayers came along.

With maturity comes consideration of others thoughts and feelings and comfort; sometimes even putting others before oneself. In fact, that's been my primary observation about maturity. Those that lack it almost never see themselves through other's eyes and see things only from their point of view; ignoring others needs and feelings. One way that you can pick these people out by watching conversations and seeing who doesn't listen to others and instead continuously interrupts people.

If you respect others, you treat them like intelligent people. Take the time to write and proofread your post, and we'll take the time to read it. If it's not worth your time to write a decent post, why should I take the time to read it?

If someone writes some drivel filled with non-words and half-sentences and posts it in our community forum, they’re disrespecting us. They’re showing us that their time is too valuable to waste talking to us.

Don’t insult us like that.

If someone is a negative influence on the airsoft community, they should be removed from the community, regardless of whether it’s being banned from a forum that they’re spamming with stream-of-consciousness half-thoughts, or banned from the field after being caught repeatedly cheating.

Moderators are people like everyone else and they have good and bad days. That can affect how strictly they enforce the rules. If someone has posts that can be treated different ways on different days, then in my opinion they’re posting stuff that’s close enough to the edge that they should already be rethinking their behavior.