PDA

View Full Version : ak-??

furioso
06-25-2003, 12:23 PM
I have an ak-47 and I want a laonger barrel. The prices I have seen at WGCfor conversion kits are ridiculous. They also come with many parts that you do not need. I also saw the outer barrel attachments at WGC but I cant figure out which one I need because the names are like this 4X3. I need to know wha type of barrel i need to buy. I was thinking about a scope but I'll deal with this first.

Obsidian
06-25-2003, 12:32 PM
buy a silencer and then add the length of the silencer to the lenght of a stock AK barrel to know what length your new barrel needs to be

furioso
06-25-2003, 12:40 PM
will any silencer work? or is there different types?

AustinWolv
06-25-2003, 03:10 PM
To screw the silencer directly onto the TM AK47 outer barrel, you'll need one that has 14mm ANTI-clockwise (also called negative) threads.

You can look at all the different styles on any Airsoft retailer's site.

furioso
06-25-2003, 08:09 PM
Well Ive looked around and the longest barrel I can find is the psg-1 barrel ranging at 650. Only adding 200mm to my ak-47 barrel. Is it possible to keep My akbarrel and attach a second barrel to it? Will I need a bipod?

Monster
06-25-2003, 08:29 PM
the AK has a fairly long inner barrel anyway..remember, these toys aren't real weapons..they shoot a 6mm plastic ball, they aren't gonna be dead accurate..
if you arent satisfied with the length of the AK's inner barrel, i dont know what AEG you'll be satisfied with..
and no, you can't attach two inner barrels..well, i'm sure theres a way you could, but why not just get a sniper rifle?
there would be no need to attach inner barrels because i dont think they'd have a piston to match the length so you would have decent performance...

AustinWolv
06-25-2003, 08:34 PM
furioso, you could look into the G3's as they have a longer inner barrel than the AK's, but not as long as the M16A2's.

BTW, only adding 200mm to the AK barrel? Do you know how long that is? Pretty dang long. Think about...650mm = 65cm = .65m. That's plenty long.

How about you start off just getting an AEG before making changes to it already? Then you can learn about it and what is possible to do to it.

furioso
06-25-2003, 09:01 PM
uhhhhh buddy Ive got an AEG an AK-47 at 400 fps. I Want a longer barrel because Ive noticed that everyone else at lonestar seems to have super-mega-ultra upgraded weapons, so I decided I might as well join in. And I know I can buy a 650mm barrel I alredy said that but looking at 200mm on a ruler its, 8inches. Actually not bad, I think ill take it.

Skizm
06-25-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by furioso
everyone else at lonestar seems to have super-mega-ultra upgraded weapons

Everyone on FOG has the absolute basic upgrades on their guns except one member yet we seem to hold our own with no problems. You can upgrade your gun to the hilt but when it comes right down to it skill will prevail.

So who has the Airsoft Tactical Nuke???

EDIT: Spelling

Rayzor
06-25-2003, 09:50 PM
Most people just have the 400 fps/metal bushings combo.

furioso
06-25-2003, 09:56 PM
LOL AIRSOFT NUKES SWEET. wow that is a good idea. Hey maybe instead of horribly burning everything in sight and leaving poisonous radiation, it could like shoot bb's, or cotton candy. YYeeeeeeeaaa... Anyways, as I was sayin Where I may lack in skill I can gain in gun parts =D. O yeh and do outer barrels work like silencers, because silencers all look exactly the same, and none would look good fitted onto an ak.

Skizm
06-25-2003, 10:06 PM
There is a reason that the PSG-1 can take a barrel that long. It has a significantly longer piston/cylinder with enough air volume to propel a BB down that length of barrel. The AK47 uses a type 1 cylinder which will lead to "barrel suck" and thus decrease your FPS. I would suggest talking to Alex from this board(Team Apoc). He put a PSG1 barrel in his SR25 he built and ran into that problem. The M16s have a type 0 cylinder which has slightly more volume than the type 1 of the AK. So if it reduces that FPS of a larger cylinder then if will certainly reduce yours. I ended up buying the barrel off him and stuffed it in my M16A2 to verify this. My gun chronos at 395-410FPS with the stock barrel but the longer PSG1 barrel reduced that number to 380-385FPS. Now it was a tight bore barrel so that may have skewed the numbers a bit but I don't think you can get a stock one unless used. (Anyone know if the stock PSG1 barrel is a TB?)

The barrel ended up in my sniper rifle since the test...

No need to waste money on something that won't work in the end. I would suggest in addition to the standard 400FPS upgrade you get a bearing spring guide, hi-flow nozzle, piston head, and standard BS tightbore. It won't cost much more then the PSG1 barrel and the results will be MUCH better in the end.

"Barrel Suck" = Not enough air to push the BB all the way out of the barrel before the piston moves to the return position thereby "sucking" the BB back into the barrel a bit and reducing its velocity.

Obsidian
06-25-2003, 10:26 PM
Personally I think anything over G3 length is a waste. That seems to be the optimum length for range.

With an AK I would not worry about it. You will probably loose range with a longer barrel.

furioso
06-25-2003, 11:45 PM
I see, yes thats a very interesting result. I can see now how this works. What are those parts you speak of. I am unfamiliar with NAMEs of parts, although I can dismantle it fine. What will those parts do anyways? Do you think it is wise to get an fps upgrade and then go with the psg-1 barrel? uuuummmm Obsidian I am pretty sure the g3 barrel and the psg-1 barrel are the same, but ok i agree. geez I thought you guyz all had psg-1 barrels in all your aegs, perhaps I'm not a psychic after all.

AustinWolv
06-26-2003, 12:34 AM
Nope, you aren't, and Obsidian is correct, while you are not. There is a large difference between the inner barrel length of the G3's and the PSG-1. Take a look at some retailer sites as it those will show the lengths.

furioso
06-26-2003, 12:36 PM
do many people use g3 barrels? Do most experts even lengthen their barrel at all?

AustinWolv
06-26-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by furioso
do many people use g3 barrels? Do most experts even lengthen their barrel at all?

Depends on what their usage model is. For CQB, you most likely wouldn't want a longer inner barrel, as you want to be able to execute quicker transitions. In woodlands or fields, you want something with a longer barrel the majority of the time. However, some people don't like long rifles anyway, and don't like to manuever with them through brush.

It all depends on what the individual's objective and usage for the AEG will be.

SnipeDefender
07-04-2003, 01:39 AM
hey guys...

.....i own a stock Ak-47 beta Spetsnaz, i love this gun, but... the accuracy just cannon stand up to my friends g3 sg1. I was planning of replacing the spetsnaz barrel with a full length(high accuracy) ak 47 barrel. after reading these posts though im not sure if thats a good idean now.....will it cause a fps reduction??
its going from a 9 in. barrel to an 18 in. barrel..... and if this is good.... how much of an accuracy increase should i expect from doubling the barrel lenghth and it being a higher quality barrel???

THANKS!!!

Kyle
07-04-2003, 02:27 AM
Bore-up cylinders can help combat the problem of "barrel suck" I would look into those if I were you, but I have no idea if it will help enough to double your barrel length. If not you don't have to get a full length AK barrel. You can go with something a bit in between yours and an AK. In my experiencethe longer barrels don't help to much with accuracy outside as you are still shooting a 6mm plastic bb whose flight path can change with small wind, leaves, etc. but the range increases greatly. Remember though that you must clean a tightbore frequently if you want it to keep helping your gun's performance.

BTW: I thinks spets look really cool with a silencer.;)

AustinWolv
07-04-2003, 09:15 AM
SnipeD, a longer inner barrel will work better for you. Installing an AK47-length barrel will not hurt your performance. Your accuracy, at say 20 yards, will be more consistent. At effective range (the ability to hit a man-sized target), your accuracy will in no way be pinpoint, but it will be more consistent and as you mentioned, it will increase your range a touch.

You should not see a muzzle velocity decrease at all in going to an AK barrel.

Kyle, you are wrong on this one. Please reference my response to your cylinder thread.

Obsidian
07-04-2003, 10:57 AM
I have an AK barrel and silencer on my Spetz. You have to do some serious dremel work on the threaded lug because it is smaller at the end. It pretty much holds the barrel in so when you go to a longer barrel you have to dremel that out. Other than that I have M120 and bushings in the gun.

Kyle
07-04-2003, 01:38 PM
Obsidian, whats the FPS on your spetz? If I'm not mistaken the M4 has a slightly larger cylinder (type 0) than the AK (type 1).

SnipeD, Bore-up cylinders do help combat barrel suck but "you must have an m140 or higher as the spring will have too much air volume to push against." (courtesy of AustinWolv in my other post.) Thanks for the info AustinWolv ;)

Agrovale
07-07-2003, 10:48 AM
The 'type 0,1,2,3' designates whether or not there is a hole in the cylinder, and where it is located. If you want to get a longer barrel I would get whichever one goes in a g3 or m16-a2 (they do not have a hole in them).

In my experience, a normal cylinder is sufficient for almost all barrels up to 510mm. Anything longer than that I would put a bore up kit just to be safe. I have a bore up and 650mm barrel in my AUG with no suck issues.

Obsidian
07-07-2003, 11:08 AM
My spetz shoots around 400 with m120 and bushings