PDA

View Full Version : Which AEG...

Rayzor
06-24-2003, 02:28 PM
I've been doing some heavy thinking lately on what my first AEG will be. For months I had been decided on a TM M4, but I want something with more range for the large outdoor games, since I rarely play CQB. M16s are far too common, and they are too big for me, so I can rule them out. I was thinking about an AUG or one of the G36 guns, maybe even an AK. I'm looking for something with good upgrade capabilities, since I want 400 fps on it. It should be durable and last quite a while. I'm not one of the people who kits it out with scopes, RIS/RAS, or any of that stuff, so it doesn't have to have alot of accesories for it. Eventually I'll want to put an inner barrel in it to get that extra accuracy at the further ranges. Heck, who knows, probably even a metal body. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

AustinWolv
06-24-2003, 02:41 PM
G36 doesn't have a long inner barrel if I remember correctly. I don't have experience with them, so I won't speak to the G36C's pros/cons.

AK and AUG do have long inner barrels. Agrovale or Obsidian can give you the lowdown on the AUG as I don't have any experience with it.

The AK mechbox (Ver3) is a solid design that can take a lot of abuse. A 400fps upgrade will be easily handled by that mechbox. A metal body by DTP for AK's can be picked up for ~$85, and it easy to install. I have an upgraded AK with metal body, and it is a very solid, hefty AEG that gives very good performance. Cosmetically, it is not my favorite gun (I'm partial to the AR series), but that is no fault of the AEG. Out of the box, the AK's are a very nice buy.

Rayzor
06-24-2003, 03:01 PM
Thanks. Nice to get advice from people who know their stuff. I'll definitely ask Agro/Obsidian about the AUG. I'll probably be out to the next Texas Paintball game to try out Agro's AUG, since he says it's more accurate than his M16 and the center of balance is closer to your body, instead of at the front. Once I buy my own AEG, I'll be playing a whole lot at both Tx PB and Hunter's.

By the way, Wolv, exactly what model is your AK? TM Ak47? I think it looks pretty sweet.

cclark1985
06-24-2003, 04:30 PM
whats your budget? if ya dont mind me askin?

Rayzor
06-24-2003, 04:40 PM
I'll spend as much as I need to, but the gun won't have many upgrades so it shouldn't be too much. What's your suggestion?

AustinWolv
06-24-2003, 04:40 PM
Rayzor, base model is a TM AK47, which a few changes here and there.

cclark1985
06-24-2003, 04:46 PM
I really like the new CA/Armalite m15a4/m4a1's. Nice feel to 'em
I think they're nifty as hell.
Plus most of the guys that fix guns here run colt varients, so my guess is that theyll have parts for your gun if it breaks.

Rayzor
06-24-2003, 04:48 PM
Wolv, whats the difference between the Steyr AUG Military and Civilian version that makes the Military version $45 more?

Obsidian
06-24-2003, 04:58 PM
integrated scope on the military ver.

Rayzor
06-24-2003, 05:00 PM
Ah...

Obsidian, can you comment on the AUG?

And Wolv, what upgrades did you put on your AK to give it the different color scheme? I like the look of yours as opposed to the normal AK.

bobbythebee
06-24-2003, 05:07 PM
You should definitely TRY an AUG before you buy one. Their trigger is... different. You pull it halfway for semi, and all the way for full-auto. It was definitely an odd system (for me), having used AR15 and AK47 designs for so long. :o

Obsidian
06-24-2003, 05:20 PM
My comment on guns is buy one that you:

1. like the looks of
2. fits your body
3. fits your gear

When it comes down to it there is a thin line between cqb guns and outdoor guns. You can take a P90 and an AK and with similiar upgrades they will both throw a bb roughly the same distance. The P90 could be considered a cqb weapon because you can get it around corners easily. TASO rules limit CQB weapons to 300 fps so you are not going to have a CQB weapon and a long range weapon. Any gun can be made to perform...it just depends on how much money you want to put in it. My P90 would outrange my Sniper Rifle till I put 1200 bucks into the rifle.

The AUG is a good gun. Decent battery size...decent magazine size. It all comes down to whether you want to add stuff to your gun to change the look. If so the aug is limited. If not its a great gun out of the box.

Rayzor
06-24-2003, 05:37 PM
I know, bobby. I was going to try out Agro's AUG whenever there's another Tx PB game.

Obsidian, if I do end up getting an AUG, I want to upgrade it so that it's 400 fps. I don't really care about accessorizing, so changing the look or whatever wouldn't really matter to me.

Right now, both the AK and AUG are looking like great candidates. Now, it all boils down to trying them out, then I can decide. Thanks, guys.

AustinWolv
06-24-2003, 06:03 PM
Rayzor, all you would need to do is paint the furniture that comes with the gun black. All that was added externally was a G&G AK RIS, an AK flashhider, and JUST scope mount.

cclark1985
06-24-2003, 06:44 PM
augs definately have a 'different' feel, but if differents your cup of tea...

Mouse
06-25-2003, 12:23 AM
I have been through this airsoft buying stage and here is my 2cents.

First off, to run an AUG on 400 fps you will need to do some battery customizing. I am not quite sure how much of a problem this is, but it will cost extra money to buy a few batteries that will last all day.

I HIGHELY agree with what obsidian said, go with the gun that you think looks the coolest. Judging from experiences friends have had by doing otherwise, they are usually unhappy with the choice they make and end up buying and selling and buying and selling untill they find a suitible weapon, which is a painful process. In my opinion, basing a choice based on what you read on the internet is a huge mistake because there is a LOT of b-s out there. And not only that, but the potential flaws may only have occured on that particular weapon in the review, not all models. i.e., M4 barrel wobbel, with some people it is a trifle problem and with others it is hell.

You say you don't want to deck your gun out with RIS and scopes etc, then maybe the AK47 is right for you if you so choose. I have used one quite frequently and i must say, for being a rather small person it fits me well (Me queda bien :) )

In case you are wondering, i shoot a TM SR-16 which is a FINE rifle in my opinion...but i won't go into details. :)

I hope this helps, good luck with choosing an AEG and your future airsoft career! Hope to see you out on the field sometime.

Rayzor
06-25-2003, 01:31 AM
Cosmetically, I'm not one to be picky when it comes to airsoft. there are very few guns out there that I DONT like the looks of, so looks aren't a problem. If you were hinting at the AUG's futuristic look, I think it looks pretty cool. The AK looks alot better with a different color scheme than the one that it comes with out of the box, which can be easily fixed. Not to mention, I'm pretty small, so if what you say is correct the AK should fit me.

So for now, it looks like I'll be getting the AK. ;)

As for seeing me out on the field (Mouse), I'm 95% confident that I'll show up for the next TxPB game, whenever that may be.

Thanks for all the advice!

cclark1985
06-25-2003, 01:37 AM
were you the dude borrowing that m16 with the grenade launcher on sund?

Obsidian
06-25-2003, 09:21 AM
Speaking of BS on the internet, that AUG does not have to be modified to fit the 9.6 1500 batteries. In fact if you do some of the modifications out there the mechbox will not be held in place and you will not get a good seal on the nozzle. The gun will shoot about 10 feet

Agrovale
06-25-2003, 09:49 AM
A 400 fps AUG will last *almost* an entire day with a 9.6V 1500mAh battery (which will fit, as Obsidian said, without modification). In fact there is a 9.6V 2100mAh battery available now which will last all day (I *think* it will fit without mods, but won't swear by it :P ).

cclark1985
06-25-2003, 12:43 PM
you might be interested in this GUN (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3614515947&category=31684)

Rayzor
06-25-2003, 02:03 PM
Yea, Chris, that was me on Sunday.

By the way, Agro, what brand is that M203 and why don't you have any grenades for it?

AustinWolv
06-25-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by cclark1985
you might be interested in this GUN (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3614515947&category=31684)

Perhaps, but he'll need to tear it down to comply within the TASO fps guidelines.

AustinWolv
06-25-2003, 03:04 PM
One more thing: They are GRENADES, not NADES. Nades are what CS kiddies say.

Rayzor
06-25-2003, 03:24 PM
Wolv, do you do any SERIOUS, hardcore FPS gaming?

cclark1985
06-25-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by AustinWolv
One more thing: They are GRENADES, not NADES. Nades are what CS kiddies say.

Ive always called them grenades, even when i was little. So ill continue to

AustinWolv
06-25-2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Rayzor
Wolv, do you do any SERIOUS, hardcore FPS gaming?

Such as?

I don't spend my life on PC games, but I do play.....Ghost Recon, Raven Shield, C&C Generals, a touch of VietCong, BF1942, MOHAA....to name a few. Not that I'm some FPS wizard as I grew up playing console games. I challenge any of you to EA's NCAA Football 2003 or 2004, when it is out.

Ive always called them nades, even when i was little. So ill continue to
My point exactly. And I'll continue to edit posts if need be. ;)

Especially since you should reference #13: http://www.austinairsoft.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1824

:cool:

Rayzor
06-25-2003, 08:41 PM
The word "nade" didn't originate from CS nor is it used more commonly in CS than any other FPS. I play alot of Quake3, Soldier of Fortune2, etc. and I hear it used in those games way more than in CS. It's just a simple abbreviation to "grenade."

AustinWolv
06-25-2003, 08:44 PM
Yes, I know what it is. The reference is a generic one referencing one of the most common, popular FPS' out there, and is aimed at the demographic that plays it and then tries to "CS" it on the Airsoft field. In other words, at the risk of alienating part of the young airsoft demographic, it is aimed at adventure-hound run 'n gun youngins who are not as tune into the milsim principles as some Airsoft purists. ;)

Rayzor
06-25-2003, 09:27 PM
CS has nothing to do with it. It's just an abbreviation that some people prefer to use because it's shorter. Online I usually type "nade," but if it were out on the field I would rather shout "GRENADE!" instead of "NADE!"

AustinWolv
06-25-2003, 10:26 PM
sigh......apparently you didn't understand the content of my post. Nevermind.

Time for the topic to get back on track anyway.

Obsidian
06-25-2003, 10:32 PM
I looked at that AK a while back but dumped the idea of getting it when I found out that he has all of that stuff crammed in a stock mechbox. He has only fired 50 round in it because at 100 its going to eat itself for breakfast

Kyle
06-25-2003, 10:34 PM
I'm just wondering what is l33t and h4xor in "real talk"

cclark1985
06-25-2003, 10:36 PM
lol, this is retarded. why be so restrictive on if we say (gre)nade anyway. If everyone used perfect english the world would be no fun, no fun at all.
BUT, if I must use perfect english, I suppose I'll start now.

Rayzor
06-26-2003, 12:27 AM
Kyle - This is way off topic...but l33t is "leet" as in "elite" and h4xor is "hacker."

"l33t" or "l337" is an online gaming language created by who-the-hell knows, but it originated in quake 3. In that stupid language, you write words with numerical characters and symbols instead of letters so that nobody but the "l33t" can understand wtf you're saying. For example...decipher this if you can.

1 A|\/| l33t.
"I am leet"

i @|\/| @|\| L33t |-|@><0R A|\||) I ow|\|Z0r 4T Kwa|<E 3 @R3|\|a. FE4R |\/|Y |\/|4|) 5k1LL$, d0Odz
"I am an elite hacker and I am good at Quake 3 Arena. Fear my mad skills, dudes."

Stupid, really. Anyway, back to the topic!

AustinWolv
06-26-2003, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by cclark1985
lol, this is retarded. why be so restrictive on if we say (gre)nade anyway. If everyone used perfect english the world would be no fun, no fun at all.
BUT, if I must use perfect english, I suppose I'll start now.

If you don't like the guidelines, you are more than welcome to discuss them with Obsidian. Perfect is not the requirement, as none of us exhibit such a characteristic. However, an attempt at clear, concise, READABLE writing is the guideline.

Trench_raider
06-27-2003, 04:35 AM
Hehehe...back on the original topic.

I have been using an AUG SR and agree with what has been said before. You really should try one out before youbuy an AUG. While I like my AUG and certainly do not regret my purchase, I have found out the hard way that the AUG is an ergonomic nightmare. The big problems for me are the shape of the butt and the position of the magazines.

First off, the AUG is extremely wide at the butt end (rather like my ex-wife... ;) ). This makes shouldering the rifle a bit difficult when firing from a prone postion or behind cover.

The bigger problem is the magazine position. I have a heavy trigger finger and only have low-caps for the AUG so that means alot of magazine changes under fire. With the AUG a quick magazine change is simply not possible. You could get to be quicker with practice, but nothing will change the fact that you have to unshoulder the weapon before dropping the magazine. This does not sound bad, but out in the filed with the adrenline pumping it seems to take forever. It's even worse when prone as the easiest way to change magazines is to roll over onto one's back before making the switch. Not only does this add extra time, but it causes you to take your eye off the tangos. This has got me shot on more than one occasion.

And yes, the selector/trigger takes some getting used to but when is the last time you actually engaged a target in an airsoft game on semi auto? ;)

On the plus side, as several people have pointed out, the AUG is tack-driving accurate and the SR version has a nice rail for you to mount whatever optics you like.

Finally the AUG is a very unsual looking gun an is different that what you normally see. This is a big plus in my book as sometimes it seems that everyone and their dog uses an M4.

Having said this, I will probably be gradually changing over to a new rifle as my primary and keeping the AUG as a back up. Just this week I got in an M16Vn (I like the look of the earlier model over the a2) and will now start to gather magazines for it and try to twist Obsidian's arm into upgrading it for me. :p Yes, yes, I had earlier planned on getting a Car-15, but was unable to find any retailer either here or in HK that had one in stock.

I hope that helps you.

"Trench Raider"
who is back on weekdays and will be making some more games starting next sunday...

assassin
06-29-2003, 10:08 AM
hey im new here but i understand that you are wondering which aeg to get. well about 4 months ago i purchased a tokyo mauri
G-36c w/a 400 hundred fps upgrade.i am very satified. you should buy one .it is an awsome gun because it looks cool and comes with a rail system so you can mount a scope of your choice on to it. i have a tasco red dot scope on it . i also have a 470 round high capacity clip. another cool feature about the gun is the clips clamp together, so you dont have to carry clip pouches everywhere you go. the gun also come equiped with an folding stock ,wich makes for good manuverability, and perfect for those close quarters situations - e-mail me for more details at globalwarrior2002@yahoo.com:) no need to run , you will only die tired- SNIPER

bobbythebee
06-29-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by assassin
Hey, I'm new here, but I understand that you are wondering which AEG to get. Well, about 4 months ago I purchased a Tokyo Marui G-36c with a 400 hundred fps upgrade. I am very satified. You should buy one.

It is an awsome gun because it looks cool, and comes with a rail system, so you can mount a scope of your choice on to it. I have a Tasco red dot sight on it. I also have a 470 round high capacity magazine. Another cool feature about the gun is that the magazines clamp together, so you don't have to carry magazine pouches everywhere you go. The gun also comes equipped with a folding stock, which makes for good maneuverability, and perfect for those close quarters situations - e-mail me for more details at globalwarrior2002@yahoo.com:) (insert obligatory oversized cliché quote here)

cclark1985
06-29-2003, 06:58 PM
"(insert obligatory oversized cliché quote here)"
lol

Obsidian
06-29-2003, 10:21 PM
G36 is nice but it is has a serious battery problem in stock form. The redesigned nozzle also has some sealing issues

Shooter
06-27-2008, 06:21 PM
I've been doing some heavy thinking lately on what my first AEG will be. For months I had been decided on a TM M4, but I want something with more range for the large outdoor games, since I rarely play CQB. M16s are far too common, and they are too big for me, so I can rule them out. I was thinking about an AUG or one of the G36 guns, maybe even an AK. I'm looking for something with good upgrade capabilities, since I want 400 fps on it. It should be durable and last quite a while. I'm not one of the people who kits it out with scopes, RIS/RAS, or any of that stuff, so it doesn't have to have alot of accesories for it. Eventually I'll want to put an inner barrel in it to get that extra accuracy at the further ranges. Heck, who knows, probably even a metal body. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I would Say to get the CA Aug its as short as an m4 but the barrel is as long as an m16.

Mir
06-27-2008, 06:26 PM
Dude, please look at the thread date.....

HammerHead
06-27-2008, 06:28 PM
I would Say to get the CA Aug its as short as an m4 but the barrel is as long as an m16.

Please pay attention to pertinent information in threads, before posting. Specifically, the original posting date of a thread can be quite important to the content of your own post.

Seeing as this thread is more than five years old and Rayzor has purchased his replica and subsequently left the community, it has served its purpose and is therefore closed.