PDA

View Full Version : m4 Style Mechboxes

ryanmoret
05-07-2004, 07:54 PM
I am looking to buy a gun with n identical mechbox as an m4 would have. What other types of AEGs have a mechbox identical to the m4/m16 series.

Agrovale
05-07-2004, 08:06 PM
None. And not all the M16s and M4s have the same mechboxes. The M4 mechbox has cutouts in the rear to allow the receiver tabs to clear the mechbox as do any of the M16 variants that have the quick takedown feature. The M16-VN, XM, and M733 have a different style of version 2 mechbox that does not have these cutouts. MP5s, G3s, and other replicas also use the mechbox with no cutouts. You can use a version 2 mechbox shell that has cutouts in any gun that uses a ver 2 mechbox, you could probably use a version 2 mechbox shell without cutouts in an M4 or M16-A2 as well, but it would be much harder to assemble (you would have to install the mechbox into the upper receiver before you put it into the lower receiver).

Here is a ver 2 with the cutouts:
http://www.airsoftworx.com/catalog/images/images_big/sysm4mech.jpg

AustinWolv
05-07-2004, 08:13 PM
Other than the shell, the Ver2 parts internal to the shell are essentially the same. Some Ver2 parts are interchangeable with Ver3 parts as well, but I doubt that is what you are asking.

ryanmoret
05-07-2004, 08:59 PM
Thanks, I am looking into buying a new gun and I am looking to switch the internals from my SR-16 to my new gun. So what guns have mecho boxes that support the internals of my SR-16.

Agrovale
05-07-2004, 10:51 PM
Well, to keep the same switchplate (the black thingy on the side of the mechbox that slides back and forth) you will be limited to another armalite. If you are switching just the internals (not the mechbox shell) you can pretty much pick any armalite. The only thing you will have to be careful about is the nozzle. There are different nozzles for different variants...

ryanmoret
05-07-2004, 11:14 PM
Thanks Agrovale.