PDA

View Full Version : Spell Checker

Energizer_e2
04-29-2004, 09:49 AM
You think we could get the spell checker up and running again? Some of us, mainly me, suck at grammer/spelling and the spell checker would save alot of embarresment.

AustinWolv
04-29-2004, 10:19 AM
www.dictionary.com

:)

Skizm
05-11-2004, 03:14 PM
Ok, didn't want to revisit an old thread but I have to. So is the spell check function on the list of "Things To Do"? There are people on here we can't even get to read the friggen rules so does anyone really expect they will use a third-party website to do spelling corrections?

AustinWolv
05-11-2004, 03:30 PM
I expect them to follow the rules, regardless of the idiot-catches that are or are not put into place.

If I'm not mistaken, Obsidian has a lot of things to work on, and he does have a life outside of this website. As much as anyone, I personally would like to see all the features in immediately as much as the next guy, but we live in reality, and things occur that don't allow everything to be instantly integrated. Consider it the same reason that airsoftprofiles died.

Skizm
05-11-2004, 04:22 PM
My apologies if I seemed pushy, I didn't mean to, but I do get frustrated at having to put my B.S. filter into overdrive to wade through the "muck'n'mire" that some of these threads turn into. I am certainly not especting anyone to jump through a flaming hoop and will render any services I can to accomplish things here.

AustinWolv
05-11-2004, 04:29 PM
Understood. I think you are taking a couple isolated users from recent days and extrapolating those into a larger problem. We'll keep an eye on it the best we can and hopefully the feature will return.

Obsidian
05-11-2004, 05:22 PM
Alrighty for those who have issues with spelling I suggest you go to:

www.iespell.com

Download the software and it will run on top of IE. You can then easily and quickly check everything you type.

My position on the spelling and grammar. Everyone makes mistakes. Little mistakes here and there are no biggie. When you make a post that has multiple words in the title spelled wrong as well as the message I take issue. I also take issue when the grammar is so bad that you have to run the post through babel fish to get a translation. The main point here is that this forum is here to provide information to the community. That can not take place if people can not read and understand the threads and posts.

Another thing that I have issue with is searching. Give everyone a break when they ask a question. Most of us know 90% of everything there is to know about airsoft. If someone asks a question point them in the right direction. You don't have to answer their post if it has been answered before, you can give them the link and say "I found this by searching for *****". On the flip side I can not stand a Mooch. If someone shows up here and expects to be spoon fed all the information they have another thing coming and the staff will deal with those situations as they come about. The nice thing is we have one of the most mature and respected airsoft communities around. This shows when you look at where our traffic comes from. The majority of people are local but an increasing number are from around the country. People come here because this site and its members are a breath of fresh air when compared to other sites out there. Its our job to ensure we keep the balance that we have achieved.

PS..... the spelling of this post was checked by the IEspell thingy. It works guuuuud!

Katana
05-22-2004, 08:12 PM
An additional alternative would be to write up a post in a word processor first, then cut'n'paste it over to the web-browser in order to post it.

Energizer_e2
05-23-2004, 12:42 AM
That is just plain obnoxious to do just to make sure a post is comprehendible.

Agrovale
05-23-2004, 12:49 AM
http://austinairsoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4462

See this thread for spell checking modules for most browsers.

Energizer_e2
05-23-2004, 01:09 AM
http://austinairsoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4462

See this thread for spell checking modules for most browsers.
Thanks for the link, I'm just going to use one of those instead of having Word open. I've had it open everytime I get on these forums to make sure nothing is wrong, this program will keep me from having to cut'an'paste so much.

eXe
05-23-2004, 02:06 AM
As long as you can comprehend a post, why is it such a big deal to make sure every tiny aspect of the post is correct? Seriously, could someone please explain to me why a few grammar errors is worth scaring off new and existing members? When I go on a airsoft forum, i dont expect 50% of the posts to be grammar posts (exxageration of course but it feels that way). I would understand if someone came on the forum and started to do "leet speak" however these are not the cases. Even the suggestion of going into word to proof read your post before actually posting it is ludicrous in my humble opinion. Why not just let a few grammer mistakes by and worry about the leet speakers and such?

Katana
05-23-2004, 02:48 AM
<Chuckle!>

I made a suggestion in good faith based upon personal experience because it's easier for me to read a full-size message in a text editor than to scroll through a smaller posting text-entry box supplied by the web site. Also, I work on computers all day, so task-switching and cut-n-pasting are second nature to me. I didn't feel that word processors were arcane or obtuse applications that would make people use emotionally-charged words such as "obnoxious" or "ludicrous". Still, I fully recognize that what works for some may not work for others and to each their own. As long as they make an effort is all that I care about. Please don't expect that I'm going to demand a post with perfect grammar. Those are rare and I hardly ever accomplish such a feat myself. However, I am going to ask that people make a serious effort and a few of the posts seen around here recently didn't appear to, and appearances are all we have in an all-text medium. I'm certainly not an extremist in this regard.

"why is it such a big deal to make sure every tiny aspect of the post is correct?"
It's not such a big deal. Don't try to polarize the issue and strengthen an ‘us versus them’ mentality. We’re not on either sides of a vast, impassable chasm. There's a middle ground here for us to find. People are asking for the moderation to ease up. They were listened to by all sorts of people ranging from regular-joe readers and participants to moderators, and on up to the site sysadmins. It looks like things will loosen up.

Also, I've heard several people claim that others have been or might have been scared off, but even if this is shown to be a true statement, I'm not sure how such a sensitive individual will fare in life much less participate in the internet as a whole.

Also, if it 'feels' like most of the site's content is of a type you don't appreciate, instead of harking on that type of content, why not add some content of the type you do appreciate. Post a review, answer someone's request for information or assistance, etc. Don't dog-pile onto the problem and expect it to get better. Hell, we're both adding to the problem just by conversing about it.

Anyhow, if using a text-editor to write your posts doesn't work for you, try something else... anything else. All anyone's asking is that people try. :)

Agrovale
05-23-2004, 10:20 AM
Seriously, could someone please explain to me why a few grammar errors is worth scaring off new and existing members? Why not just let a few grammer mistakes by and worry about the leet speakers and such?

That is exactly the reason behind this whole ordeal. We don't really expect posts to be 100% spelling and grammar error free. But we don't want them to be pure garbage either. Right now we are trying to find a happy medium, so just bear with us for a bit! :)

eXe
05-23-2004, 01:06 PM
Also, if it 'feels' like most of the site's content is of a type you don't appreciate, instead of harking on that type of content, why not add some content of the type you do appreciate.

Katana good point, however what if people are scared to add new content for fear of being "grammar attacked". Agro and Katana you both made good points and I will sit back and now hope for the best, instead of adding to the problem.

edited to fix quotes

Grant
05-23-2004, 03:07 PM
Best idea yet...
for those of you who can't spell...

learn how to!

Grant
05-23-2004, 03:09 PM
I got the best idea...
For those of you who can't spell...

learn how to!

AustinWolv
05-23-2004, 08:36 PM
eXe, Katana answered your question above about people being "scared":

Also, I've heard several people claim that others have been or might have been scared off, but even if this is shown to be a true statement, I'm not sure how such a sensitive individual will fare in life much less participate in the internet as a whole.