PDA

View Full Version : New CQB Solution gear

cclark1985
04-09-2004, 11:37 AM
Found this on the AR15 forums (http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=10&t=173457)
Nice looking gear, that's for sure. The modular riglooks rather spiffy.

kaiser bear
04-13-2004, 10:53 PM
I was thinking, wouldn't an LBE be the best bet for any situation.

mcoupe11
04-13-2004, 11:13 PM
I'm not 100% sure of what you're trying to say, but I suspect that the answer to your question is "no."

The diversity of gear on the market is primarily the result of the many needs of military and law enforcement professionals, not some marketing gimmick. Modular systems take it a step further by allowing the end-user to customize his gear in a manner which most suits the intended application. You don't have to settle for "good enough," but rather can have exactly the setup you want, depending on your budget. Another advantage, and one more relevant to airsofters, is that your setup can grow with your magazine and equipment loadout. The point I'm trying to make is that the difference in utility between an LBE-type setup and a higher-end modular solution is not trivial.

Katana
04-13-2004, 11:51 PM
WARNING: Personal opinions follow: :)

LoadBearingEquipment is plenty modular, but generally can't carry nearly as much gear. Great hot-weather rig though, as it doesn't cover you up as much as a vest or chest harness. LoadBearingVests stick you with a particular pocket layout, but are generally strong as they don't have detachable stuff all over them, and they are usually cheapish compared to modular (don't get me wrong, I have some Arktis LBVs that really cost me some serious coin, but they didn't cost me but a fraction of what my idea of a decently loaded modular vest cost me).

Modular gear is very powerful in allowing you to tailor your rig to a pretty significant degree. This is me strongly agreeing with Sami's main point. I will say that the cost of quality modular rigs is quite high, and that's the only stuff you really want to purchase because you want the quality of workmanship on all that little sewing on all those little loops to be able to stand up to all the baggage you're going to hang off of it. Other little things I've noticed is that sometimes the loops on the extremes of the rig aren't quite wide enough, and the exact method of pouch attachment can very in technique and quality from manufacturer to manufacturer. Also, a person can get themselves into trouble with all the customizeability at their disposable and set up a rig that looks like it's perfect in terms of getting at stuff, but just doesn't ride that great while you're running around.

Anyhow, I suppose what all that means is that we can't make generalizations either way. LBE's, LBV's, and modular vests, chest harnesses, and plate-carriers all have pros and cons. Heh. Just like just about everything else. :)

nschrein
04-14-2004, 04:55 PM
I was thinking, wouldn't an LBE be the best bet for any situation.

Not when you are riding in a Humvee :). Now I know what you are thinking, who the heck rides in a Humvee with a bunch of gear (in airsoft). Well....... maybe at some ops and so on, who knows.
Some chest rigs and so forth, such as the modular Hellcat from SOTech were specifically designed to meet the needs of soldiers who spent long hours in Humvee's and other military vehicles. Though, some people do just prefer the feel of chest rigs in general. Its mostly a matter of opinion and what works for you.

As far as gear capacity on LBV's, it just depends on what type you get. My SOTech PV can hold 3 mags, in 4 pouches, plus 2 in the bottom pouches, bringing a whoppin' 16 mags total. There is PAL's webbing all over it too, to attach essential stuff, like camelbacks and so on.

LBV's are nice for long games, at least from what I've found. Mostly because it distributes the weight of the gear more evenly amongst your body. This is just my opinion though, so please, take it with a grain of salt.

nschrein
04-14-2004, 06:29 PM
Ha, well I wrote out a really long post, about my gear experiences, until I realized that I read the thread wrong. =\

Anyway, I'll make my opinion, take it with a grain of salt. For starters, I agree with Katana, you can't really make generalizations. I own a SOTech PV, which is basically a rediculously expensive LBV with a bunch of nice amenities. I've noticed that with LBV's, your gears weight is more evenly distributed amongst the persons body, thus making the gear good for longer games and ops.

On the other hand, there are drawbacks with the vest. Namely, you aren't as mobile as using a chest rig. Sometimes the magazines can be hard to retrieve if you are in confined spaces as well.

My point is similar to Katana's, that one piece or type of gear is not "the best" for all situations. Chest rigs, such as the SOTech Hellcat, were specifically designed for soldiers who spent many hours in Humvees and military equipment. It offers them more mobility and so forth. So in those instances, the chest rig would be a perfect match, unlike an LBV.

Whoops, longer then I thought it would be. :o Sorry for my ranting, carry on.