PDA

View Full Version : Tracers

ryanmoret
04-08-2004, 10:30 PM
If I get glow in the bark BBs will they work like tracers at night or do i need to get a tracer mod for that to work.

AustinWolv
04-08-2004, 10:31 PM
You need the tracer unit (or some sort of light source) to charge the glow-in-the-dark BB's. They do not glow without some sort of light activation.

mcoupe11
04-09-2004, 01:23 AM
You could, I suppose, lay out the BBs in the sun during the day and then use them at night.

ryanmoret
04-09-2004, 09:36 AM
You could, I suppose, lay out the BBs in the sun during the day and then use them at night.

Thats what I was thinking. Just needed someone to confirm it.

AustinWolv
04-09-2004, 09:40 AM
Or you could have tried it and found out for yourself, right? ;)

Voodoo
04-09-2004, 10:04 AM
If you wanted to skip the light unit you could lay out the glow BB's and put them under a black light.
For some reason the black lights charge the glow chemical MUCH faster and in my experience the charge holds longer.
We tried this with glow paintballs, so I can't tell you how long a glow bb will hold a charge.
Hope the helps.

Jason

Katana
04-09-2004, 12:13 PM
The glow-in-the-dark bb's I've used with my tracer unit don't hold luminescence for very long at all. That may be a result of the way that they are charged using the tracer unit, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm quite doubtful that you'd be able to lay them out, illuminate them, then load them all into a magazine, run around during a game, and fire glowing bb's from time to time.

My guess is that they would cease glowing during some point in that process.

Voodoo
04-09-2004, 12:59 PM
You’re probably correct Katana.
The paintballs we used were rated to hold their "charge" for up to two hours. While they may have some glow to them after two hours, their real usefulness was only about 30min.
The other thing to consider is, unless you’re playing in your back yard or a place that has electricity, you'd need to get a portable black light. Those aren't too common; I picked mine up at Halloween.

Agrovale
04-09-2004, 11:58 PM
You can usually find Tokyo Marui tracer units (used) for around $50.
The glow doesn't last long at all, but they are really bright when they come out of the tracer unit.