PDA

View Full Version : Proposal: move 4/18 to Hunter's as OP:RC prep

Brittain
04-07-2004, 01:35 PM
I'm proposing switching 4/18 to Hunter's since it's a better field for big OP preparation. Please vote your opinion and post any comments you may have...

Jay
04-07-2004, 01:56 PM
I'm proposing switching 4/18 to Hunter's since it's a better field for big OP preparation. Please vote your opinion and post any comments you may have...
I'm down. I think Barry should have final say after waying all opinions and viewpoints. Barry "The Button Man" Gilbert

AustinWolv
04-07-2004, 02:05 PM
Playing devil's advocate:
Explain why Hunter's is a better field for op-prep as compared to TXPB, given the relative limited number of players that attend weekly skirmishes and that we do not yet know our op mission assignments. This essay will constitute 60% of this exam.

:D

Brittain
04-07-2004, 02:36 PM
Why?

General answer: because it's much, much larger. Specifically:

1. Field size more closely approximates Roanoke. Even the largest area at TxPB is nowhere near Hunter's. Historically, pre-OP skirmishes have featured missions that allow for movement across the majority of the field, thereby using the additional space and allowing for practice of command-n-control (at least that's what F.O.G. practices).

2. Historically, a minimum of 50% of play time at TxPB has been run-n-gun on the smaller fields. This is nothing like an OP. Even the move-to-contact warm-ups at Hunter's feature varied terrain and support practiced movement/techniques.

IMO, I'd disagree with the assessment that skirmish sizes are limited. Last time out at Hunter's we had 30+ people even without any SF-1. And in my rememberance, pre-OP skirmishes have better than average turnout as folks get their gear ready for the following week. For 4/18, F.O.G. alone is expecting ~14.

An added benefit, should we choose to use it: Hunter's is closer to San Antonio. If SF-1 (or at least their leadership), chose to show, then our three teams (WC, SF-1, F.O.G.) could take the opportunity to work through a few things with our CO.

AustinWolv
04-07-2004, 02:55 PM
Counterpoint:
1. There is plenty of space for movement at TXPB if all of the property is utilized. The density of the woods on both sides and the east end of the main road allow this. The main problem is that too many people get lazy with planning and resort to, "Hey, let's have a BB fest on the tower field." I'm missing the reason that command-n-control can't be exercised at TXPB.
2. Yes, I agree. And it sucks. That is why we are now bringing out scenario cards so we're not wasting time with BB-dump fests on the paintball courts. We did that this past weekend, and it seemed to go over well, as people still got plenty of action. We played two longish scenarios, with a couple BB dump-fests, which were thankfully limited in time.
The dense brush/woods at TXPB supports squad movement just as much as at Hunter's as they are virtually the same. I'm not seeing the difference there. A rock face and a central shack doesn't make that much of a difference in squad interaction, does it?

~20 people were at TXPB this past weekend, and that was with many regulars not in attendance. There is more than enough room for forces of 15 each to manuever around TXPB without even running into each other if the mission called for it.

Last time out at Hunter's we had 30+ people even without any SF-1. I can also remember times when only about 10 showed up. Banking on SF1 showing up is counting chickens before they hatch.

And in my rememberance, pre-OP skirmishes have better than average turnout as folks get their gear ready for the following week. For 4/18, F.O.G. alone is expecting ~14. True. So, they could make it to TXPB as well and practice whatever needs to be practiced. The smaller confines should force the squad to work in even tighter sync.

Point being, I'm not worried about where the op-preparation takes place, as I tend to make most of weekly skirmishes in this area, unlike many others who pick and choose where they play.
I would just like to know valid reasons as to why one is so much better than the other. :)

Energizer_e2
04-07-2004, 10:28 PM
I also think that the we should play at Hunters on 4.18 but as stated above the choice is really up to the field owner. I know that if we play on that day Maelstrom would have close to 100% attendence.

Brittain
04-10-2004, 12:40 PM
Just wanted to remind everyone they've 5 more days to vote. Right now the count is 14 to 1 in favor, but it'd be nice to get more votes.

Thanks.

Agrovale
04-10-2004, 06:35 PM
I disagree that Hunters will be a better place to prepare for THIS PARTICULAR op. The place the op is being played is, after all, a paintball field with a large section of wooded area surrounding it. I think that TxPb would be a better place to prepare for this op. My .02.

Jay
04-12-2004, 02:42 PM
Can we have a decision on this from Obsidian so I can build the new thread?

Brittain
04-12-2004, 02:59 PM
Voting is supposed to be open 'til the 15th. If we need an earlier decision, then so be it I doubt the extra time will significantly alter the majority ... the current vote is 20 For and 3 Against.

Obsidian
04-12-2004, 03:30 PM
Looks like majority rules. I will post that its going to be at hunters on the calendar.

Obsidian
04-12-2004, 03:30 PM
PS....why am I the decision man all of a sudden....Weekly games are your arena Jay :p

AustinWolv
04-12-2004, 03:43 PM
You could have used the edit feature. :p

Brittain
04-12-2004, 07:05 PM
We do not want Jay making any decisions! :eek: