PDA

View Full Version : Ghillie Suits

Energizer_e2
04-05-2004, 05:34 PM
I was wonder what peoples opinions are on ghille suits for a sniper? And if anyone knew of a cheap place to get okay suits?

AustinWolv
04-05-2004, 05:41 PM
Generally, not looked upon very favorably, mainly because players who use them aren't experienced enough to realize when they are hit. Couple that with they can get very hot in the summer, along with limited effectiveness (Airsoft doesn't occur at long distances), and they aren't exactly the most useful tool out there.

Read on:
http://www.lonestarairsoft.sidworkz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2868&highlight=ghillie
http://www.lonestarairsoft.sidworkz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3238&highlight=ghillie

coldblooded
04-05-2004, 10:42 PM
Oh and don't forget you'll get hung up on every little branch as you move around in the woods. Guys with ghillies always end up just wearing the pants & a t-shirt by about noon at the ops.

LaPHtA
04-06-2004, 02:11 PM
I second coldblooded's post on this. I brought mine to Hunter's and was ready to wear it on the last mission played that day. I took it out of my bag and swung it around my shoulders (I have a poncho-like ghillie) and caught almost every branch around me. There was no way I could have stalked properly with this on.

I did ball it up and set it behind a log with my M733 next to it to look as if someone was hiding there. The enemy moved accordingly and I was able to snipe one of them from a different location overlooking this decoy.

Then, of course, I was overrun with loads of BB's.

boombaby
05-25-2004, 02:11 PM
You can buy ghillie suits at Banana Bay Trading Co. for 70$ to 130$.

P.S. I can not find the spell checker. Where is it?

AustinWolv
05-25-2004, 02:15 PM
You can but ghillie suits at Bannana Bay Trading Co. for 70$ to 130$.

P.S. I can not find the spell checker. Where is it?

http://www.austinairsoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4462

The old site had an integrated spell checker, but that feature doesn't exist for this new site. Hence, the options are listed in the link above.

Mack4
05-25-2004, 03:19 PM
E2 I own a ghillie suit, I bought it from www.bushrag.com I have used it in several Airsoft skirmishes and it is quite hot, I sucked two camel baks dry in one day. As far as camo goes, it is unreal if you "doctor" it with surrounding vegetation and pick a decent spot you're pretty much invisible. Now let's look at the pros and cons

Pros
1. Excellent Camo, perfect for the sniper
2. Keeps you warm in the winter
3. You can scare the living crap out of neighborhood children
4. It doubles as a portable deer/turkey/mammal blind while rifle and especially while bow hunting
5. The burlap muffles the sound of metal clinking and so forth

Cons
1.It will weigh (depending on the model) close to 15 lbs which is a lot of weight to lug around
2.The burlap fibers get caught in your throat
3.It is hot
4.It can get caught on things (brambles, branches)
5.People will give you a lot of crap about using one, I know.

Now as far as difficulty in stalking, my ghillie suit is designed for that activity and as long as you pick your route carefully you can avoid most major snags. However, you will NOT be running in this thing. The best way to use it for long durations/distances would be to stalk up to a certain point and then put it on in the final stages of the “creep.”
Just remember you will be under a micro-scope while wearing this thing in combat, if you think you got hit- go out! Feeling the bb’s will be difficult!
The new Ghillies from Bushrag.com (the pant and shirt combo) are awesome; you can use the top half for stalking and then put on the pants for full camo.
I love my ghillie, although I don’t use it for Airsoft (unless the other guy has NVG) I still use it for deer hunting and the like. Good luck and Good hunting.
-Mack

LaPHtA
05-25-2004, 03:40 PM
I have since revisted the ghillie in airsoft (as many of you know...see my album) and am having a great time using it in airsoft.

Surprisingly, I have yet to snag on anything. This is even in the south woods at Hunter's.

This does indeed get hot. I went through a 100oz'er in two skirmishes. But, this will change according to how you stalk. I tend to try to get into an overwatching/hide position and wait for any prey that happens by.

I have had no problems with feeling hits, or calling them for that matter. I completely agree with Mack4 though in that if you think you have been hit...call yourself out.

AustinWolv
05-25-2004, 03:49 PM
laphta, one thing I'm thinking of with your setup is that your ghillie seems almost like a "half-ghillie" in that it appeared the front half of your profile didn't have any concealment material, whereas the rear half did. I would assume this makes it easier to move around and not quite as hot either when compared to some of the full ghillie suits I've seen on the field. That might be a key difference that needs to be pointed out.

LaPHtA
05-25-2004, 04:08 PM
The entire front of the blouse and trousers are covered in a matching woodland cordura to allow for lowcrawling without snagging or ripping of the BDU's themselves. This style is a crawling ghillie...as opposed to an upright stalking one that calls for burlap to be on the front as well as back.

The addition of this layer of cordura adds a bit of heat as well, but that is where the "blown-out" blouse back comes in. The back panel has been mostly removed and then a sports mesh material sewn into place. Atop this, netting is sewn. Then burlap tied into the netting. This mesh back panel is what lets me breath a bit better, even with the colar all the way up (keep them bugs out) and the hood on.

I had thought of buying MeanGreen's upright but then my fun-money was spent from under me so I had to revert back to my active duty days and built my own. I would go as far as saying the uprights are perfect if you enjoy moving about the field more than you like sitting in wait. Whatever you choose, in about 30 minutes of wearing it you will be praying for a kiddie pool to lay in unless you stay hydrated. :)

Hydrate or die!

AustinWolv
05-25-2004, 04:11 PM
Cool info.

Whatever you choose, in about 30 minutes of wearing it you will be praying for a kiddie pool to lay in unless you stay hydrated You could always try the pond when at Hunter's. ;)

LaPHtA
05-25-2004, 04:20 PM
Get out of my mind.

So, all in all, it's more a personal choice as far as if you even want to field a ghillie. I like it mostly because it's what I wanted most from Airsoft. Yes, it's hot...VERY hot. Yes, at first you're going to feel like a goon for fielding one. Especially after reading many negative things about it. BUT, if you play it fair, and watch your personal health (DRINK WATER!) you'll enjoy it a lot and you will help better the reputation of ghillie wearing airsoft snipers everywhere.

I beleive the best compliment I have had so far is in Katana's AAR of this past weekend in how just having a sniper on the field affected his actions. THAT made the entire process worth it to me. And I didn't even fire a single round all day.

Grant
05-26-2004, 01:43 AM
You should get one... so we can all make fun of you after you take it off because you are too hot.

Energizer_e2
05-26-2004, 08:14 AM
Hahah, well I would get one but the good ones are so expencive. I would rather spend the money on my guns.

LaPHtA
05-26-2004, 10:13 AM
You could always take time and craft your own. There is a lot of satisfaction to be had when you make it by hand. In my time I have had three including my latest one.

Once I get my site up and running I'll have a step-by-step on how I made this one. Also, there are tons of sites with their own step-by-steps and with various styles to choose from. Don't shy away because you think it may cost too much.

AustinWolv
05-26-2004, 10:15 AM
laphta....but that requires work and effort! It is so much easier to spend someone else's money!

;)