PDA

View Full Version : Polycarb or metal Piston Head?

AlphaSIX
06-13-2003, 04:02 AM
My, red systema piston head just exploded in my gear box. So I need to replace the piston. What is better Polycarbon or metal? Got a m4a1 R.I.S pushing a 110 spring and a sytema FTK. Except the piston. I'll be back out on the field as soon as I fix this piston.

Skizm
06-13-2003, 07:57 AM
Stick to the polycarb. Its much less stress on the gearbox then the metal one. The only thing the metal one does it make your gun really loud and give you an insignificant amount of felt recoil.

AustinWolv
06-13-2003, 08:52 AM
Skizm, is the additional stress really that much greater?

There are a significant amount of players using the alum piston heads for long periods of time who haven't cracked mechboxes. Furthermore, it is well-documented that the polycarb heads can still break much more easily than the alum ones. You aren't going to break the alum one, and about the only thing you need to be very careful of is making sure to Loctite the screw and then make sure it is torqued down nice and tight.

As always, there are pros and cons to everything, but I'm not convinced that the advantages of a polycarb head are that black and white versus using an aluminum one.

Agrovale
06-13-2003, 09:23 AM
I have an aluminum piston head in my G3, and it has had many thousands of rounds (and that's only one weekends worth :D) through it with no problems. Like Wolv said you ABSOLUTELY MUST USE LOCTITE on the screw that holds the piston head on, or it WILL come off sooner or later.

Monster
06-13-2003, 02:06 PM
LOL...this is true, i had to get Agro to fix my AEG a few weekends ago because when i did the upgrade myself, i forgot to loctite the piston head and well, it fell off and the BBs were just rolling down the barrel....LOL

Obsidian
06-13-2003, 02:53 PM
Are we talking piston heads or pistons....the title says piston head but the thread refers to pistons.

AustinWolv
06-13-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Obsidian
Are we talking piston heads or pistons....the title says piston head but the thread refers to pistons.

red systema piston head just exploded in my gear box Regardless of which, I guess we know he at the least needs to replace the piston head. :D

Alright Alpha, do you need to replace both the piston head AND the piston, or just the head?

mcoupe11
06-13-2003, 03:09 PM
I have read (on AirsoftGear, I believe) that the red Systema pistons have a manufacturing defect that causes them to eventually self-destruct. I don't know the specifics, as this corporate internet I'm stuck using is blocking the website, but I'm pretty sure there's more info here: http://www.airsoftgear.com.

Obsidian
06-13-2003, 04:51 PM
Their was a problem with some of the original red ones in that the teeth spacing on the piston was wrong so when the gears spun around it would catch and stick, locking up the mechbox. My p90 has one in it...I filed the tooth on the gear down a little to make it work.

AlphaSIX
06-14-2003, 08:17 AM
The Piston Head is cool just the back end of the piston is gone about half way. I can still salvage the head, but may want to go with the entire set just to be safe. I think I will go with the Metal one, It may be louder, but that only signals pain is on the way.... may have a bit more stress, but I'm not going to be pulling plastic out of all my gears. Thanks

AustinWolv
06-14-2003, 09:37 AM
I think I will go with the Metal one,

Metal what? Piston or piston head?

Clarity, my man, you need to write with clarity. ;)

Stick with polycarb piston, and feel fine with alum piston head if you so choose.

Skizm
06-14-2003, 11:14 AM
I was referring to the a metal piston thinking that is what he was talking about. I've heard nothing good on the various airsoft forums about metal pistons. Now metal piston heads on the other hand shouldn't do any harm at all...they are supposedly lighter than the polycarb ones?

Obsidian
06-14-2003, 01:03 PM
hehe I dont buy that. I have an Aluminum piston on my SR25 and it probably weighs twice what the poly pistons weigh. I think for an M120 there is no reason to use an aluminum piston. When you start getting in the m140 and up spring ratio aluminum is a must. I think the poly pistons actually hold up longer with steel gears. When I pull the sr25 apart there are always little shavings fromt he piston in there.

AlphaSIX
06-22-2003, 01:44 AM
Anyone know if the New Angel Polycarb Piston and piston heads are any good? The clear ones I mean. Saw them on WGC for about 20$