PDA

View Full Version : Mounting NV device

benc64
03-19-2004, 10:39 PM
Many people have asked me how I mounted my NV monocular onto my gun (can be seen in my photo gallery), well here's how.
It sounds kind of complicated but it really isn't, so bear with me.
1) Buy a G&G bipod RIS mount, can be found on Redwolf
2) Once you have the bipod mount remove the the piece that fits in the hole
3) Procure a 1/4" screw (that is the size screw that most optical devices require for a tripod, unipod, etc.), preferrably one with a very low profile head
4) Cut the screw so that the threads are 9/16" long, if you cut it a little less than 9/16" don't flip out, it doesn't matter
5) Take the bipod mount and lay it flush with the bottom of the NV
6) Take the screw and put it through the hole of the bipod mount and into the threads of the NV
7) Tighten it up and place it on your scope rail
It's pretty easy, finding the right size screw is the hardest part. Just make sure that the head of the screw can fit under the threads of the bipod mount's screw. You'll see what I mean when you get the bipod mount.

Mack4
03-19-2004, 10:51 PM
How well does this work in the feild? Do you look through your irons? Or do you have a sighting device built in/used in tandem with your NV unit?
-Mack

benc64
03-19-2004, 11:01 PM
I can only use the NV once I have mounted it, but its pretty hard to see anything through the normal sights anyways because its dark outside.

Katana
03-21-2004, 09:55 PM
If you wanted to still be able to use the iron sights, you could place that rail on an additional see-through riser. Looking at the pictures, you wouldn't have to raise it much to gain that advantage. It's something to consider if you need to transition shooting at both lit and unlit targets.

Also, if you want to co-witness with a NOD-friendly red-dot, the availability of risers in all shapes and sizes will quickly prove useful.

Final thoughts, if you're going to skirmish with the thing, I'd recommend either purchasing or building a sacrifical lense (basically a clear filter) to take any hits that might come the NOD's way. If you co-witness a red-dot, then you won't have to worry about that particular issue. Also, I'd recommend using a tracer unit, as bb's are as hard to predict at night as they are in the daytime, and engaging targets at night without one will really make you question all kinds of things: your hop-up setting, the wind, perhaps people aren't calling their hits, maybe your sight is off, etc. A tracer unit grants all kinds of piece of mind. Also, everyone gets a kick out of the tracer unit going off. The only downside is that you have to beat feet after firing the thing, as your cover is blown.To save on ammo expense, shoot a mix of tracer and normal. Make sure they are the same weight.

benc64
03-22-2004, 04:51 PM
I've mainly been using my NV like this just so that I can see the enemy when they can't see me(I can report their movement etc.). Has worked well for me at many games. I'm not using it for a sight, just to observe. I don't want to invest much money into this anyways, as we hardly ever play night games. I'm currently saving for a red dot scope.