PDA

View Full Version : 12v 3300mah

JoeMama
03-18-2004, 01:07 PM
I've just learned that my peak charger will not charge a 12v bat. Can anyone recommend a charger that will do the trick? Besides the wall plug.

Obsidian
03-18-2004, 01:29 PM
I have a Great Planes Triton Charger..... Pretty much the best thing on the market. You can charge any battery out there from AA to car batteries. You have to have an external power supply for it so it will set you back a bit more than other chargers. It makes up for it with the fact that I have brought back multiple "dead" batteries to full capacity.

Tower hobbies sells them

JoeMama
03-18-2004, 01:51 PM
Can you point me to some documentation that states that peak chargers can not charge 12v bats? I'm having a hard time understanding, even after reading the FAQs. I have the below charger and it was my understanding that it would just take longer to charge but it could be done.

http://www.uncompany.com/pageproductdetails.asp?prodid=272

AustinWolv
03-22-2004, 02:35 AM
Well, you can charge the 12v pack, but it might not be fully charged. A peak charger's circuitry measures changes in the cell's voltage......when that voltage change drops off by a certain amount, the charger "knows" the peak capacity has been reached. (Something to that effect, I am not an expect in battery/electrical technology) Part of the charger knowing what the voltage dropoff should be is by the setting of the proper voltage, which tells the charger how many cells are being charged.

coldblooded
03-22-2004, 04:27 PM
Matt, go to TowerHobbies.com and look around in the charger section. Each charger has ratings of what it will charge. Basically, if you tried to charge a 12v batt on a 9.6v charger, it'll get a halfass weak useless charge. Buy the right charger.

VelvetElvis
03-23-2004, 10:10 AM
Tower Hobbies is selling the Great Planes Triton (like Wolv's) for 129.99 in a catalog I recently received from them. It looks great, but the external power supply scared me off.

AustinWolv
03-23-2004, 10:29 AM
You can find the Triton for less if you take the time to look around the 'net for a bit. Worked for me.

If you want a charger that does it all and is usable at the field and at home (with a external power supply), the Triton shouldn't be overlooked. Chargers with comparable features are few and far between and are MUCH more expensive.

JoeMama
03-23-2004, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the help. I'm getting a Triton.