PDA

View Full Version : Gas masks

Mr.HaPpY
03-15-2004, 08:02 PM
Are these aloud as facial protection on the field?

Obsidian
03-15-2004, 09:36 PM
haha.... good one. NO they are not. Have you ever worn a gas mask? I have had to wear them for days at a time and they are not something you want to do any hard work in. Not to mention they limit your sight greatly. You can get paintball goggles that are ANSI rated at academy for less than 20 bucks.

scooter
03-15-2004, 11:59 PM
I can only imagine how intense the heat inside of the mask would be!!!

Mouse
03-16-2004, 12:10 AM
I know somewhere on Arnies there is a picture of a gas mask lense that was shattered with an airsoft bb. My guess is they are unsafe as well as unpractical.

Arsenic
03-16-2004, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Obsidian
Have you ever worn a gas mask? I have had to wear them for days at a time and they are not something you want to do any hard work in.

AMEN!!! I hated having to wear one for GQ drills on the ship and that was just to sit around in it. I couldnt imagine running around with one on.

Mr.HaPpY
03-16-2004, 02:38 PM
I don't mind wearing a gas mask. I find that they are quite comfortable. Personal preference I guess. The glass in my gas mask is very durable. It actually got ran over by a car once. The filter can did not survive but the glass sure did. all except that I had to clean the tire marks off of them.

Trench_raider
03-16-2004, 04:39 PM
I don't mind wearing a gas mask. I find that they are quite comfortable.

hehe. To each his own I suppose.

We use alot of chemical agents such as CS and OC (pepper gas) as work and I've worn then quite a bit. You haven't lived until you've rolled around on the floor of a cell fighting with a violent inmate while trying to keep your mask on because they sprayed about 10 ounces of OC into the cell! :D

On a semi-related note, modern gas masks are quite comfortable compared to some historical ones I have worn. The WW1 German mask is a nightmare! It's got a leather body and no outlet valve. This means you have to breath both in and out through the filter. Combine this with thick yellow lenses that have a metal frame behind them and you have a mask that you have to wonder what they were thinking when they designed it.

"Trench Raider"

RevSM
03-16-2004, 06:08 PM
I have a collection. :) I own 30+ different kinds of gasmasks from many different countries and the most comfortable one would certainly be the British SAS S-10 mask. I would not, however trust any of them to a flying BB unless I was able to find for certain that it meets or exceeds the ANSI requirements. I definitely would not trust any of the Russian masks with my eyes or lungs but who knows. Any idea what kind you have or do you have a picture?

Mr.HaPpY
03-16-2004, 08:52 PM
Well I don't have a picture but I think its a NATO gas mask. I've worn it at work while dealing with concrete dust and it does great. I bought it for $9.00 at some surplus store in dallas If I can find a picture I'll post it. Then maybe you can tell me what kind it is.

Mr.HaPpY
03-16-2004, 08:58 PM
Here is the only image I could find:

RevSM
03-17-2004, 10:35 AM
That is the 4A1 Israeli civilian gas mask. It uses the standard NATO filter thread. It is mass produced for the entire Israeli civilian population and while they do have replaceable plastic lenses I donít think they are ANSI rated and I would not trust them to keep me from loosing an eye.
(I have one of these) :)

Obsidian
03-17-2004, 02:21 PM
Here is another thing to think of.... when wearing a gas mask you have to tip the gun to the side so that you can get it next to your head......normal gun its not much of a problem but with airsoft you will screw up your hopup. Probably will not matter though since you only have about 45 degrees of viewing angel.... :)

Trench_raider
03-17-2004, 02:24 PM
RevSM, are you on the gasmask collector's Yahoo group? if not you ought to check it out.

Are you sitting on anything besides current issue masks?

"Trench Raider"

RevSM
03-17-2004, 05:33 PM
I don't actually have many current issue masks. I started collecting them a few years ago but got discouraged after 9/11 when the prices went up 500%. Some websites still sell the Israeli Civilian mask for $200+ when a used one is really only worth maybe a little more than you paid for it, $9. I have all different kinds including riot masks from the 60ís, 3 different navy masks including one that generates its own oxygen using a chemical reaction. I also have one of the Nazi childrenís gas masks complete with stamps and a direction booklet (all in its original box). I donít have anything from the WWI era though. I still need to take pictures of each to catalog them... hmmm.

Edit: Forgot to answer your question, I think I was part of that Yahoo group but at the time, it wasn't very informative. Maybe I should check it out.

Arsenic
03-18-2004, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by RevSM
I have all different kinds including riot masks from the 60ís, 3 different navy masks including one that generates its own oxygen using a chemical reaction.

You must be talking about the old OBA(Oxygen Breathing Apparatus). I had to wear one of those in bootcamp for firefighting! Looks like a normal SCBA with 2 big lungs on the front!

RevSM
03-18-2004, 09:48 AM
Exactly, it is strictly a firefighting mask used mostly on Navy vessels.

nschrein
03-25-2004, 09:37 PM
Mask very similar to OBA's were used also by the Russians. There was a huge disaster on a boomer called K-219, a Delta IV Russian class SSBN. When it occured, the crew used OBA's extensively during their efforts to fix one of the missile tubes which had a reaction with the seawater and rocket fuel that released toxic gases.

Anyway........that was my fact of the day.