PDA

View Full Version : '80s era Soviet camo

Trench_raider
03-01-2004, 02:59 AM
I was digging through some boxes in my apartment this weekend and was suprised to find some old uniforms. Among them was an '80s era Soviet "KMLK" overall. Some people call this the "computer pattern" due to the shape of the khaki splotches. This was a reversible overall that was issued in the 1970s and '80s to soviet troops. You often see it in Afghanistan photos. One side is the light green pattern shown in the attached photo. The back side was a much darker pattern said to be designed with IR defeating properties in mind.

Sadly this piece no longer fits me at all, having been bought soon after I came back from college. Years ago I wore it playing paintball a few times and was suprised to find that in the cedar trees of Central Texas it provided decent camoflauge.

I've found a couple of retailers online who sell examples similar to the one I own. I'm halfway tempted to buy another overall set and have a new larger sized overall tailored. Despite the hype you see by people who sell these, they are NOT all that uncommon so cutting up a pair would be no big loss. I've been kicking around the idea of getting an airsoft AK anyway and already own a full set of Soviet issue web gear and three soviet helmets. (the m40 style, the m68 "conehead", and a current issue Kevlar model) This might make for an interesting look.

But then again I'm into "weird" items and am not entirely sane.

Thoughts?

http://www.rusmilitary.com/images/klmk_oversuit.jpg

"Trench Raider"
<edit>Don't flame me too hard. The spell check was not working when this was posted

AustinWolv
03-01-2004, 06:25 AM
You would definitely be unique and add a nice variation to the regular patterns we all see. Only a couple players that I know of went with a Russian theme, and they didn't last long. The TM AK is a great AEG, so seeing someone decked out to match it would be pretty cool and could open some doors to a Russian-themed team, which would be a great addition to the Texas airsoft community.

farmcoot
03-01-2004, 08:24 AM
Personally I like them, but I guess I'm not sane either. :) I am really into all things Russian. I own a TM AK and an AK Spetznaz, so I'm covered there. On the note of Russian camo I recently purchased a pair of Russian "Bekas" BDU's which I am waiting to arrive from Moscow.

http://tacticalblunder.com/~uploads/farmcoot/bekas.jpg

Also purchased 2 pair of Russian NVG

http://austinairsoft.com/photopost/data/500/1002nvg-med.jpg

http://tacticalblunder.com/~uploads/farmcoot/nvg1.JPG

:D :D

AustinWolv
03-01-2004, 08:28 AM
farmcoot, the pattern on the far right looks like a pretty good copy of DPM.

Agrovale
03-01-2004, 09:10 AM
Wolv, the set on the far right is what Obs was wearing at the op...

Bstann
03-01-2004, 09:46 AM
Obs has the blue and the dpm set.

farmcoot
03-01-2004, 09:59 AM
I got the middle set. When I saw the far right set I thought the pattern looked very close to what you guys wear.

While we are on the topic of Russian stuff, does anyone know if Guarder still makes the RPK kit? I searched WGC, Redwolf, UNCompany, AS Market, Combat Depot. No Luck. All say out of stock, but still list the item on their sites.

AustinWolv
03-01-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Agrovale
Wolv, the set on the far right is what Obs was wearing at the op...

Yeah, saw him wearing it a couple weeks back at TXPB too....he said he really likes it.

farmcoot, I noticed the same about the RPK kit. I have no inside knowledge, but perhaps you could try emailing various retailers to see if they can get it for you. Sometimes, they aren't all that solid on updating their sites.

Trench_raider
03-01-2004, 04:57 PM
Yeah, it looks like the Russians currently produce a bewildering variety of camo patterns. Here (http://www.tridentmilitary.com/Russian.camouflage.htm) is a page from a dealer that deals in many of them. I used to think that the majority of the odd patterns were simply produced for the civilian or export market, but recently I have seen some footage from Chechnya that showed some Interior Ministry (or some other paramilitary formation) troops in that blue urban camo.

I'll stick with my "cold War" look if I decide to go this route.

"Trench Raider"

skitelluride531
03-01-2004, 07:07 PM
About the RPK kit, I believe that guarder made only a limited number of them. Just recently, I believe they made some more due to high demand. I think that www.airsoftextreme.com has one.

farmcoot
03-01-2004, 10:22 PM
Redwolf : Sorry to tell you this item is discontinued.

UNCompany: Thank you for your enquiry,the production line of this kit had been discontinued by Guarder long time ago.

Combat Depot: My latest update from Guarder (02/20/04) is that the RPK and SVD are back order. No specific availability time frame available yet =(

Doesn't look promising.

:(

farmcoot
03-03-2004, 08:44 AM
E-mail from Guarder:

Hi,

We are going to make new version,it's in the process now.
Please be patient to wait for a while.

Regards,

Sebrina
IntruderShop

New Version....yummy

AustinWolv
03-03-2004, 09:08 AM
Hopefully a version that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. :D

skitelluride531
03-05-2004, 07:19 AM
I am on Redwolf right now, and it doesn't say the Guarder kit is out of stock. Did you email them or something?

farmcoot
03-07-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by farmcoot
Redwolf : Sorry to tell you this item is discontinued.

UNCompany: Thank you for your enquiry,the production line of this kit had been discontinued by Guarder long time ago.

Combat Depot: My latest update from Guarder (02/20/04) is that the RPK and SVD are back order. No specific availability time frame available yet =(

Doesn't look promising.

:(

Yes I did e-mail Redwolf and several others.