PDA

View Full Version : MP5-A5 Battery Trouble.



SPLAT
01-12-2004, 04:23 PM
Can someone help me with a battery problem I seem to be experiencing. I went out this Sunday and had many difficulties with my gun. Some people said that my 9.6v (1600 MAH)NiMH R/C battery from radio shack wasn't big enough (it is kind of small). The reason why they said this was because my gun would need to "wind up" (which took almost half a second) before it shot. Also, I experienced tons of "my gun won't even fire" for the whole day. What would happen is my gun would be on safe, then I'd switch to semi, and it wouldn't even fire. I had to shake my gun sometimes so it would possibly fire (hopefully I haven't damaged anything in it :confused: . I could just leave it alone for 10 seconds after it began firing (not moving any selector switches or anything) and it would not fire. I don't know what is up. I am a newbie when it comes to charging battery's and operating BPAG, and one thing I can tell you is I think I screwed up while charging my battery. Since it was large (1600 MAH) I charged it one speed the first charge (on a large battery charger that was my friends m16 charger). Then, I charged it on a standard charge on the same charger, and my battery well overheated (it hurt to pick it up). I was very confused, and I knew my battery was damaged (from what I read online). Now, could this be the reason my gun wasn't operating correctly this game? Should I buy a battery of the same type, and use my standard mini battery charger on it? Let me know so I can work this out in the future, thank you!

Agrovale
01-12-2004, 04:48 PM
Honestly, it sounds like you have a bad electrical connection somewhere. If you want I can put your battery on my charger and make sure it is ok, since it will tell me how much charge the battery actually took (among other things).

Dragon
01-12-2004, 04:53 PM
Possible Problems.

Electrical connection. You might have a broken wire in the weapon and not even know it. (Hidden by the insulation, nicked or pinched wire, etc.)


Is the grip getting warmer than you'd expect WHILE it was running?
You may have the motor in too deep and it's binding gears and over heating the motor.

The Fuse might be blown but only enough so that when it makes contact everything runs.

The wind up part I have no clue. I'd have to hear it to even guess what it might be.

AustinWolv
01-12-2004, 05:04 PM
Some people said that my 9.6v (1600 MAH)NiMH R/C battery from radio shack wasn't big enough (it is kind of small). Wrong.

Ghost
01-12-2004, 10:30 PM
Also, I experienced tons of "my gun won't even fire" for the whole day. What would happen is my gun would be on safe, then I'd switch to semi, and it wouldn't even fire. I had to shake my gun sometimes so it would possibly fire (hopefully I haven't damaged anything in it

Here is what I've learned from playing yesterday and reading this review today: http://www.airsoftelite.com/products/index.htm

If semi-auto is not working, switch over to full-auto and back to semi. I noticed this actually worked.

With the bbs not shooting out at all, I experienced this problem to. It seems like the bbs are not feeding up from the magazine. I fully loaded and wounded my magazine before I put it in the gun and made sure the magazine was fully wounded when inserted into the gun. When we started one game, I shot and nothing came out. This has happened to me before and what I do to check is shoot near me on the ground. Well, I could tell I was shooting blank, so what I did was took out the magazine and reinserted it. It still didn't work, and I remember you having the same problem, SPLAT. Lol, it was kinda funny in a way because we were freaking out over it and getting shot at the same time. Next, I took out the clip again, reinserted it, and it finally shot! What a pain.

Also, I think I already told you this Ryan, but one time when you told me to hold your gun, I shouldered it and I felt your hot battery. Is that normal for a battery to get hot while in use?


:confused: :)

AustinWolv
01-12-2004, 10:37 PM
Is that normal for a battery to get hot while in use?
It is possible. Depends on how much the person is firing. If they are firing a lot on full-auto for extended bursts, the battery will get warm.

Agrovale
01-12-2004, 11:22 PM
Any time you are pulling current from a battery it will get warm. Smaller cells will get hotter faster.

Ghost
01-12-2004, 11:29 PM
If they are firing a lot on full-auto for extended bursts, the battery will get warm.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard your only supposed to hold down the trigger in full-auto for a maximum of 3 seconds. Besides damaging your battery, what will holding down the trigger for an extended amount of time do to your gun? Thanks.

AustinWolv
01-12-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Agrovale
Any time you are pulling current from a battery it will get warm. Smaller cells will get hotter faster.

Yes, temperature will increase as the battery throws out the current. However, my point was more to the fact that the temperature increase wouldn't be felt through the plastic stock if the person was just plinking away in semi-auto in a conservative, fire-discipline manner. But someone engaged in an all-out firefight, dumping lots of BBs, would likely feel that battery get warm, if not hot.

AustinWolv
01-12-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Ghost
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard your only supposed to hold down the trigger in full-auto for a maximum of 3 seconds. Besides damaging your battery, what will holding down the trigger for an extended amount of time do to your gun? Thanks.

Bah, you can fire longer than that on full-auto. While I haven't seen an official explanation from the AEG manufacturers, my *guess* (note, I said guess) would be that the longer you are firing full-auto, the warmer the internal parts get, through mainly friction in the mechbox. As the parts get warmer, the materials expand and thus could potentially causes interferences, thus causing premature wear and/or damage. Thus, you are supposed to limit the time you are firing full-auto without stopping.

You will not damage your battery by going full-auto often. If that was the case, I wouldn't be toting around a M249 very successfully, as I'd be melting battery packs. The concern for battery packs is a high discharge rate.....they could get very hot and cause some damage to the cells, but that is a pretty extreme case, and you would more likely run out of BBs in all your mags before that happens.

Ghost
01-12-2004, 11:44 PM
However, my point was more to the fact that the temperature increase wouldn't be felt through the plastic stock...

Wolv, SPLAT's gun has a retractable stock and the battery is stuck on velcroe, parrallel to the end of the stock. His battery is wider in width than the end of the stock, so the battery sticks out on both sides. So, I had contact with the battery outside the gun. Just to clear this up, you shoulder the stock and the battery is on the other side.

Thanks for the info on my question.

AustinWolv
01-13-2004, 08:30 AM
Fair enough, that just means that it will be easier to feel the temperature increase. :)