PDA

View Full Version : SR-16 Problems

ryanmoret
01-08-2004, 10:47 PM
my sR-16 is having problems and i dont know how to fix it.

the spring in the gear box isnt moving when i pull the trigger, therefore my bb dosent leave the gun.

anyonewanna help me out here?

Agrovale
01-08-2004, 10:50 PM
Need more info. Does anything happen when you pull the trigger? Does the motor spin, gear noise???

ryanmoret
01-08-2004, 10:52 PM
it makes a light clicking noise,and nothing moves on the inside

AustinWolv
01-08-2004, 11:10 PM
1. Is your battery fully charged?
2. Is the weapon stock or upgraded?

ryanmoret
01-08-2004, 11:11 PM
yes the battery is full, it is upgraded...but not by me

AustinWolv
01-08-2004, 11:51 PM
Did it work properly after the upgrade?

Sounds like the classic case of the gears not being shimmed properly during an upgrade.

ryanmoret
01-08-2004, 11:55 PM
the guy that i bought it offof said it wasworking fantastic after the upgrade, after talking with himtoday he said it sounds like the motor isnt engaging the gearbox

AustinWolv
01-09-2004, 12:16 AM
If the motor wasn't engaging the mechbox, you'd hear it spinning or a high-pitched whine as the pinion and bevel gear teeth ground against each other because of the minimal engagement.

If it locking up like you say (motor is not spinning), it sounds like the motor is jammed up into the mechbox too far. Did anyone mess with the motor adjustment screw on the bottom of the grip?
Is the motor installed properly? (Meaning, does it move freely up and down in the pistol grip when you press on the end of the motor and then release it?)

ryanmoret
01-09-2004, 12:19 AM
if you would be ever so kind to provide me with instructions on how to check this stuff that would be great. If you dont feel that would work out then can you direct me to somewhere in dallas/plano where i can get it fixed?

AustinWolv
01-09-2004, 12:30 AM
If you feel comfortable with a screwdriver:

1. Remove motor plate from bottom of pistol grip.
2. Make sure not to lose the little metal disc (motor spacer)
3. Push down on the motor to push it down and then release -> it should pop back up. If it does, go to #8.
4. If it doesn't -> the wires are routed incorrectly. Take the motor out. Run the wires flat (as you can get them at least) across the bottom of the pistol grip, and then up the side of the pistol grip......they should come up the side of the motor that is rounded, not flat.
5. If the motor was pushed all the way down with and you couldn't push it down at all, and it wouldn't pop back up, do the same fix as #4 above.
6. Plug the wires into the motor again, and then do #3 again. The motor should pop back up.
7. Place the motor spacer disc back on the end of the motor, and then put the motor plate back on, screwing it into place.
8. So the motor popped back up. Put motor spacer and plate back on, installing the screws as well. Take a look at the motor adjustment screw on the motor plate......it is a set screw. Is it screwed in fairly far or sticking out quite a bit? If it is screwed in pretty far, try backing it out a bit and then test-firing the gun. If it still is locked up, but has a bit more movement, back the screw out a bit more and see if it fires. At any point of doing this, you hear a screeching noise, stop and screw the set screw back in.....if you loosen it too far, the gears don't engage enough and will just strip each other out.

If you aren't comfortable with any of that, hit up the www.airsoftretreat.com boards, and post in the TASO General Discussion area.....there are a number of Dallas/Plano types on there that you could probably meet up with and could troubleshoot your gun.

Otherwise, contact Obsidian, as he is the most common AEG repair guy down here in Austin.

ryanmoret
01-12-2004, 12:19 AM
ok, i found what i believe the problem is.

on the tip of the motor in my gun the gear fell off, it was being held on by one of those little inbedded screws. I got the gear endoutofthe mech box, but i believe the scewis still in there. i believe it is jamming one of the gears. could someone give me directions on how to get the mech box out and apart so i can atleast see if it is in there, if not try to get it out.

mcoupe11
01-12-2004, 05:13 AM
RM,

Your posts are difficult to read, due primarily to a lack of proper capitalization and some careless errors. I suggest that you put forth greater effort in the future to abide by the rules of the English language. A quick proof-read of your posts is all it takes. Additionally, there is a spell-check button near the "Submit" button when you are posting. It should also prove helpful.

Improving the clarity of your posts will help others understand your questions and, consequently, will net you more useful answers. It will also make it easier to gain respect and be taken seriously in the community; remember that most of us only know you through your posts.

Thanks.

AustinWolv
01-12-2004, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by ryanmoret
ok, i found what i believe the problem is.

on the tip of the motor in my gun the gear fell off, it was being held on by one of those little inbedded screws. I got the gear endoutofthe mech box, but i believe the scewis still in there. i believe it is jamming one of the gears. could someone give me directions on how to get the mech box out and apart so i can atleast see if it is in there, if not try to get it out.

To start, you should review this: http://www.airsoftplayers.com/guides.asp

As for getting your SR-16 apart to get to the mechbox, you need to do as I posted earlier regarding removing the motor. You can then remove the pistol grip by taking out the two screws that are inside the grip. Then, remove the stock. There is a long screw that goes through the stock into the mechbox to accomplish that.

Then, remove the rear receiver pin. From there, you can tilt the upper receiver forward. You'll need to remove the mag release button, as well as removing the small diameter pin that is above the trigger and goes through the receiver.

If you do not feel comfortable doing that, I'd suggest contacting Obsidian.

skitelluride531
01-12-2004, 08:18 AM
This also may be of help: http://www.uncompany.com/information/modify/pageinfodeassemble.asp

AustinWolv
01-12-2004, 08:29 AM
Good find. Yes, that is helpful. :)

Be advised that there are some steps in there that are not needed however.

ryanmoret
01-22-2004, 08:08 PM
ok new problem with the gun. after taking apart the gear box and putting it all back together it only shoots once then the spring locks up or something like that. the white thing that moves back when you fire gets stuck in the rear position. does anyone know how to fix it.

id0l
12-22-2004, 01:51 AM
When my G36C motor was too far down in the pistol grip, I would hear a faint click but it wouldn't turn over, nothing in the gearbox would happen, and you couldn't hear the motor spin. Weird, I know. I just took apart the gearbox (leaving the gears in place), and raised the motor to match the lower gear so it would mesh with the motor pinion gear perfectly. Then I reassembled the mechbox with just the gears and trigger assembly, and attached the motor, plugged in the battery, and made sure the gears would spin freely (and they did - very VERY fast with no other internals in there! I had to re-lube gears). Works like a charm now. :D

Also weird because obviously the motors pinion gear was locked up on the bottom gear, but it never once blew the fuse. :rolleyes:

id0l
12-22-2004, 02:09 AM
ok new problem with the gun. after taking apart the gear box and putting it all back together it only shoots once then the spring locks up or something like that. the white thing that moves back when you fire gets stuck in the rear position. does anyone know how to fix it.

White thing? No whites things in/on my gearbox. Need more description...are you talking about the air nozzle? Possibly the selector plate? Those are the only things on the outside that moves as far as I can tell, but I am limited in my gearbox work - only torn apart a v3.

Or do you mean on the inside? If so do you mean the tappet plate? If this is the case, make sure you put the small tappet plate spring back on, so that it returns to the forward position. It could also be due to improper gear shimming. Other than that you have the piston, which is what compresses the spring. Inspect the selector gear and piston for damage.

Need more info. Proper grammer would help. :)

Agrovale
12-22-2004, 08:33 AM
Pretty sure he is talking about the piston. It's been almost a year since he had the problem though. Hopefully it's fixed by now! :D

id0l
12-22-2004, 03:36 PM
Oh snap, I don't know how I even got ahold of this thread. It showed up as new under "Get new posts." :rolleyes:

ryanmoret
12-23-2004, 01:08 PM
Hah, yeah I got the problem under control. The white thing I was refereing to was the piston. I took apart my mechbox and it the problem was that the tiny grub screw that was holding the pinion gear fell out and got locked up in the gears.